re-assembly-the nasty bits

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Even though I took tons of pictures they never seem to show everything. I wonder if someone can tell me where the bundle of grey wires connects to in the trunk - center in both pictures.

Thanks

Attachments

• grey wires.jpg
    grey wires.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 293
  • grey wires1.jpg
    grey wires1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 258

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pure Grey

Hi Chris, there is a bundle of brown wires that are grounded with an allen head bolt, then the bundle of grey wires. I, brain surgeon that I am, taped and labeled the brown wires but I have nothing on the grey?? There are about 6 of them all going into one "box" connection.:???:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, if both tail lights and license lights are accounted for its either fogs or also fuel gauge sender and fuel pump if injected.

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In my car the central confluence you show is in grey-red (GR-RT). Other permutations likely. As a test, put a DVM on them and see if they power up whe you hit the light switch. Note: Blue books show grey- red (GR-RT) powering the rear side markers and license plate lamps. All meeting in termination #87 (61-10/43). As HB Chris noted, GR-VI powers the rear fogs, but this is a single lead paired with a ground (BR). Besides ground, side marker and license appear to be the only other multi-lead connection in the trunk area

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Peter,

Can you trace where the wires go to? Do they all run forward past the left rear tail light and up into the cabin? Unwrap the wiring harness further forward to find them. They could be some aftermarket wiring... It's curious that there are six of them though.

jmackro

Reaction score
They could be some aftermarket wiring... It's curious that there are six of them though.

That was my thought - speaker wires, for instance. But if they were speaker wires, why would they end near the tail lights? And why 6 wires?

Does the connector look like the others? I.e., is it a BMW-supplied connector or one from Radio Shack?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
strange wires

It is odd, they have what looks like a stock BMW connector. I will take a better shot and post. I could not find them on the schematic posted on the forum? thanks for looking into this!

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i have not participated at the begining because i didn't recognize the grey cables, because in my car they were resprayed in blue
but this is to say that i have the same thing, apparently no purpose, because i have rear fog light

so my advise, relax !

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
silly bits

Thanks for the input, I'm sure I will have lots of other questions as the re assembly continues, one I just thought of; there are two holes by the driver side door handle that don't match up with the trim- were there some plugs that went in there, possibly to stop the handle from scratching the paint when opening the door? are they available or is there a suitable substitute?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I'm sure I will have lots of other questions as the re assembly continues, one I just thought of; there are two holes by the driver side door handle that don't match up with the trim- were there some plugs that went in there, possibly to stop the handle from scratching the paint when opening the door? are they available or is there a suitable substitute?

a photo will be good for understanding this, but i assume that you are talking about two holes in the door panel one each side of the outside handle,
i am confused because you mention only the drivers door, and the ones that i am talking about are present in both doors
but yes, they are intended for small rubber plugs
actualiy available at your dealer
i have just changed them, see the "door refurbishing thread"

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
correct

Yes DeQ,

That is the spot, I had to order some new hardware for the trim and Ben at La Jolla said he had them and included them with the shipment which I hope to receive tomorrow.

There was a thread on the forum asking how long it takes to re assemble an e9, after spending 2 hours putting the rocker covers together-with the trim and fasteners I think I would measure the time in terms of marriages rather than hours. :)

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Quote--There was a thread on the forum asking how long it takes to re assemble an e9, after spending 2 hours putting the rocker covers together-with the trim and fasteners I think I would measure the time in terms of marriages rather than hours. :)[/QUOTE]

Nice to know there's some one else going through the same

I spent about 5 hrs last weekend just putting window back in door, and there's still work to do on it to get it just right

There is no doubt these cars take hundreds of hrs to re assemble

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
4 hands are better than 2

Quote--There was a thread on the forum asking how long it takes to re assemble an e9, after spending 2 hours putting the rocker covers together-with the trim and fasteners I think I would measure the time in terms of marriages rather than hours. :)

Nice to know there's some one else going through the same

I spent about 5 hrs last weekend just putting window back in door, and there's still work to do on it to get it just right

There is no doubt these cars take hundreds of hrs to re assemble[/QUOTE]

With the help and guidance of HBChris, we got my coupe 95% reassembled in 80 man/hours.
There were several parts of the assembly that would have taken much longer or would have been near impossible to do alone.....
Maybe Chris wants to go to NZ!!

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
you well know i do agree on this issue

these cars were hand made, in some sense they are pre-industrial (bear in mind that despite what it says in the front emblem, they are NOT BMW, they are KARMANN), so almost any part (with exception made of mechanical, engine, and so on), needs fine tuning prior to assembly, and then a lot of work to final fit

it is not a matter of throwing the part on its location hoping it will automatically fit there, this will NOT happen !

my last experience on the RH door is a perfect example, 5 weeks of after dinner time work (roughly speaking 70hours) and just finished !

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
how true

Countless hours and I'm 1/4 inch high on the right side. I guess I should have known; what were the chances of me getting it correct the first time-

Attachments

• front bumper6.jpg
    front bumper6.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 175
  • front bumper7.jpg
    front bumper7.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 160
  • too high8.jpg
    too high8.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 174

alanmcg

Reaction score
bumper

your front bumper mount looks interesting, pls share the details of what you've done there. did you retain the shock-absorber functionality?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
bumper mounts

Hi Alan, I should have spent the time making the stock mounts work. I think it could be done, most of the work would be where the shock mounts to the bumper. In my case I had some pieces from a roll cage that were the exact diameter so I cleaned them up and welded some flat plates on the end then drilled an oversize hole for the adjustment (not enough though L). The funky part was just stretching the accordion rubber over the tubes -just for show-

On the bright side it only took about two hours to put the fuel door on today.

Attachments

• some trim on.jpg
    some trim on.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 162
  • some trim on0.jpg
    some trim on0.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 159
  • some trim on1.jpg
    some trim on1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 149