power steering pump repair kit??

Stefan67

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this, or know what it consists of? My mechanic mentioned a kit that used to be/may still be available. I believe i have a leak occurring at the pump. I could just replace the pump, but wondered what this kit is.

thanks in advance.

Stefan67

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this, or know what it consists of? My mechanic mentioned a kit that used to be/may still be available. I believe i have a leak occurring at the pump. I could just replace the pump, but wondered what this kit is.

thanks in advance.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
power steering pump repair kit

Suggest you contact:

Spence or Jim @ Mesa Performance 800-221-6372
Carl Nelson @ La Jolla Independent 800-466-8184

Either contact will know of possible availability or have access to same.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
power steering pump repair kit

Suggest you contact:

Spence or Jim @ Mesa Performance 800-221-6372
Carl Nelson @ La Jolla Independent 800-466-8184

Either contact will know of possible availability or have access to same.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just rebuilt mine. I found all the rubber and bearing components on bmwmobiletradition-online.com/ site. I had to select them individually as there was no kit.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just rebuilt mine. I found all the rubber and bearing components on bmwmobiletradition-online.com/ site. I had to select them individually as there was no kit.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Mine had a slow leak out the front shaft. I was curious. I had the engine out. One thing leads to another....

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Mine had a slow leak out the front shaft. I was curious. I had the engine out. One thing leads to another....

tochi

Reaction score
Sven said:

For what its worth, my car used to sit for long periods of inactivity - sometimes it would be driven no more than once every two months. The pump would leave a red puddle and the leak seemed to be at the back of the pump (where there is a big retaining clip or spring). I procured a spare pump and even some odd seals expecting to eventually tackle the problem. That was three years ago.

In the interim, I had other assorted projects that caused the leaky pump to be ignored. One related project was to add a pulley to the crankshaft to drive the pump directly from the crank with its own drive belt rather than circuitously along with the waterpump or alternator. Surprisingly, the leak has completely disappeared. (No, the reservoir is not empty) I have assumed the seals swelled with use. I did not use any of the advertised products that supposedly fix leaky power steering units or automatic transmissions. It occurs to me that in some very limited situations where seals have dried or shrunk, they may be worth a try. I do not hold out as much hope for those products fixing mechanical wear.

tochi

Reaction score
Sven said:

For what its worth, my car used to sit for long periods of inactivity - sometimes it would be driven no more than once every two months. The pump would leave a red puddle and the leak seemed to be at the back of the pump (where there is a big retaining clip or spring). I procured a spare pump and even some odd seals expecting to eventually tackle the problem. That was three years ago.

In the interim, I had other assorted projects that caused the leaky pump to be ignored. One related project was to add a pulley to the crankshaft to drive the pump directly from the crank with its own drive belt rather than circuitously along with the waterpump or alternator. Surprisingly, the leak has completely disappeared. (No, the reservoir is not empty) I have assumed the seals swelled with use. I did not use any of the advertised products that supposedly fix leaky power steering units or automatic transmissions. It occurs to me that in some very limited situations where seals have dried or shrunk, they may be worth a try. I do not hold out as much hope for those products fixing mechanical wear.

Stefan67

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. It could be that a dried out seal has made things worse. I think I have had a slow leak for some time, but I had not driven the car since december due to a bad slave cylinder. Upon pulling the car out of the garage, there was a big puddle of power steering fluid and the resovoir was dry. It seemed to be leaking from the back plate on the pump.

Stefan67

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. It could be that a dried out seal has made things worse. I think I have had a slow leak for some time, but I had not driven the car since december due to a bad slave cylinder. Upon pulling the car out of the garage, there was a big puddle of power steering fluid and the resovoir was dry. It seemed to be leaking from the back plate on the pump.

BonitaCS

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but it seems an appropriate deviation. What power steering fluid are people using? I just had my reservoir, reservoir cap and attach bracket nickel plated and ready to install this weekend. I was thinking Mobile 1 synthetic would be the best choice.

BonitaCS

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but it seems an appropriate deviation. What power steering fluid are people using? I just had my reservoir, reservoir cap and attach bracket nickel plated and ready to install this weekend. I was thinking Mobile 1 synthetic would be the best choice.

acat2002

Reaction score
I just took my entire PS system down because all the hoses were deteriorated beyond belief. It appeared as though the ZF pump had been rebuilt at some point because the metal retaining spring at the rear of the pump was partly broken.

I find myself shaking my head in disbelief whenevr I find some repair done by the PO. In this case, the retaining clip was mangled and it appeared that he simply used automatic transmission fluid (it was very red in color when I drained it) although it could have been some other type of hydraulic fluid. The bubbling and blistering I had on the hoses suggested that some type of incorrect oil had been used. I mention this because I felt as though I had nothing to lose by using whatever kind of hydro fluid I had on hand. Nonetheless, there is a list of compatible hydro oils listed in the Blue Book shop manual. I ended up using some type of Castrol.

We tested the pump and found it to be producing plenty of pressure. Steering effort seems stiff (even by BMW standards), but no groaning, whining or noises. I have driven other coupes that had lighter effort, but those coupes had been heavily modified and could have had a E28 replacement pump changing the fluid rate.

As this relates to the original post, the PS pump looks as though it would be simple to rebuild (I bet there are many other ZF pumps using the same rotary vanes and seals), but the steering box looks scary to me. I replaced the bottom seal for the steering arm, but beyond that I'd probably be looking for a replacement unit rather than rebuild.

acat2002

Reaction score
I just took my entire PS system down because all the hoses were deteriorated beyond belief. It appeared as though the ZF pump had been rebuilt at some point because the metal retaining spring at the rear of the pump was partly broken.

I find myself shaking my head in disbelief whenevr I find some repair done by the PO. In this case, the retaining clip was mangled and it appeared that he simply used automatic transmission fluid (it was very red in color when I drained it) although it could have been some other type of hydraulic fluid. The bubbling and blistering I had on the hoses suggested that some type of incorrect oil had been used. I mention this because I felt as though I had nothing to lose by using whatever kind of hydro fluid I had on hand. Nonetheless, there is a list of compatible hydro oils listed in the Blue Book shop manual. I ended up using some type of Castrol.

We tested the pump and found it to be producing plenty of pressure. Steering effort seems stiff (even by BMW standards), but no groaning, whining or noises. I have driven other coupes that had lighter effort, but those coupes had been heavily modified and could have had a E28 replacement pump changing the fluid rate.

As this relates to the original post, the PS pump looks as though it would be simple to rebuild (I bet there are many other ZF pumps using the same rotary vanes and seals), but the steering box looks scary to me. I replaced the bottom seal for the steering arm, but beyond that I'd probably be looking for a replacement unit rather than rebuild.

tochi

Reaction score
Automatic transmission fluid?

acat2002 said:

I may be missing something. Are you suggesting BMW recommended something other than ATF? Some manufacturers specify ATF while others (Honda) specify power steering fluid which are evidently not the same. Honda, also recommends a proprietary auto transmission fluid.

P107 of the E9 manual mostly prescribes Dextron Automatic Transmission fluid for use in the power steering. It is red. The list also includes type "F" so it seems the type of fluid was not particularly critical. (There were basically two variations of this fluid available back in the day, Ford's type "F" version and GM's "A" Dextron.) Modernly, the available fluids seem to advertise the products as being compatible with each other.

tochi

Reaction score
Automatic transmission fluid?

acat2002 said:

I may be missing something. Are you suggesting BMW recommended something other than ATF? Some manufacturers specify ATF while others (Honda) specify power steering fluid which are evidently not the same. Honda, also recommends a proprietary auto transmission fluid.

P107 of the E9 manual mostly prescribes Dextron Automatic Transmission fluid for use in the power steering. It is red. The list also includes type "F" so it seems the type of fluid was not particularly critical. (There were basically two variations of this fluid available back in the day, Ford's type "F" version and GM's "A" Dextron.) Modernly, the available fluids seem to advertise the products as being compatible with each other.