New to CSL life

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi and welcome Mark,
Looks like your car has a sunroof? CSLs don't have one other than it’s been added on after the fact. Any details known to you?
If you do have a sunroof and it looks factory installed, you might want to check if your VIN is 2285xxx (2285001-2285500 is the RHD CSL VIN range).
Either way, gorgeous car.

Keshav

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi All, my name is Mark and I’m based in Brisbane, Australia. I have recently taken possession of a 1972 E9 CSL, Ceylon Gold and am a complete novice, even though I have admired them from afar for a very long time. I’m sure I’ll ask some stupid questions along the way but thanks for adding me to the forum!
Beauty! We want more photos!

kramco

Reaction score
Beauty! We want more photos!
Thank-you @Eric V not many photos just yet as it's in the shop getting a new front air dam and general going over at the moment, but here are a couple more including some old ones of it at historic track days and one of the engine which was rebuilt by Korman.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 8.41.34 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 8.41.34 am.png
    1 MB · Views: 104
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 8.41.07 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 8.41.07 am.png
    750 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 8.40.53 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 8.40.53 am.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 118

kramco

Reaction score
Hi and welcome Mark,
Looks like your car has a sunroof? CSLs don't have one other than it’s been added on after the fact. Any details known to you?
If you do have a sunroof and it looks factory installed, you might want to check if your VIN is 2285xxx (2285001-2285500 is the RHD CSL VIN range).

Keshav
Thank-you @Keshav, it does have a sunroof, something my new CSL buddy @Aussiecsi and I spoke about before I bought it. I can confirm the VIN is a 2285xxx and I spoke to the previous owner who had it for 33 years and confirmed it was a factory added accessory. It was great to speak to the previous owner who had heaps of information as well as an incredible record of every dollar spent and restoration photos!

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi and welcome Mark,

Keshav

I'd listen to Keshav, he knows his stuff. I have seen a polaris LHD CSL out here (Aus) at Shannons a while back with a sunroof but it wasn't factory. Opinion seemed to be it was added later, either cut into the car or an entire new roof from a donor. The query I have is the rear side indicators. Can't say I've ever seen them on a City car (for what it's worth) they were a requirement for US cars from memory.

Not knocking your car, just that the devil is really in the detail with CSLs.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank-you @Keshav, it does have a sunroof, something my new CSL buddy @Aussiecsi and I spoke about before I bought it. I can confirm the VIN is a 2285xxx and I spoke to the previous owner who had it for 33 years and confirmed it was a factory added accessory. It was great to speak to the previous owner who had heaps of information as well as an incredible record of every dollar spent and restoration photos!

excellent, thanks for your reply and confirmation. Pity that some previous owner added the sunroof (I’m an absolute fan of sunroofs except on a CSL….) and the car looks in excellent condition. Please send some more detailed pics and as Wes points out, that side marker is typical for US cars.
For entry into the E9 world and starting with a CSL, no better way than that. Feel free to discuss all aspects of L‘s…..plenty of experts here.

Keshav

kramco

Reaction score
I'd listen to Keshav, he knows his stuff. I have seen a polaris LHD CSL out here (Aus) at Shannons a while back with a sunroof but it wasn't factory. Opinion seemed to be it was added later, either cut into the car or an entire new roof from a donor. The query I have is the rear side indicators. Can't say I've ever seen them on a City car (for what it's worth) they were a requirement for US cars from memory.

Not knocking your car, just that the devil is really in the detail with CSLs.
Absolutely here for the advice and appreciate it, I chose the wrong word when I said ‘factory’ I should have said ‘dealer’. It’s definitely on the list when I decide it’s the right time to do another full resto but will be a few years at least as it is in excellent condition. The guy I bought it from purchased it in the UK, then took it with him to the US ( hence the side markers which are also on the list ) and then brought it to Aus which is is home for him and I. If that CSL as your profile pic is yours, that is my laptop wallpaper and inspiration for exactly what to do to mine! I love everything about it!

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unfortunately the parts that most often go missing are the 5 hole rims (I think I see 10 hole rims) and the coveted leather bound Petri steering wheel. But then the adventure is in finding and upgrading, a life long quest :)

kramco

Reaction score
Yes, definitely on the hunt for a Petri already and didn’t know about the 5 hole rims. Something else to add to the list

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Absolutely here for the advice and appreciate it, I chose the wrong word when I said ‘factory’ I should have said ‘dealer’. It’s definitely on the list when I decide it’s the right time to do another full resto but will be a few years at least as it is in excellent condition. The guy I bought it from purchased it in the UK, then took it with him to the US ( hence the side markers which are also on the list ) and then brought it to Aus which is is home for him and I. If that CSL as your profile pic is yours, that is my laptop wallpaper and inspiration for exactly what to do to mine! I love everything about it!

That avatar isn't my car. I've a 72 CS in Ceylon, looks almost identical to yours and a 72 CSL in Chaminox. Have restored both. The CSL was a barn find. There's a thread on here about both. A trip to the US explains those markers. It would also presumably indicate the car hasn't had a restoration since it was back, as they'd be the first to go.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that CSL as your profile pic is yours, that is my laptop wallpaper and inspiration for exactly what to do to mine! I love everything about it!

Wow! Many thanks for your kind words……. been at it since 1995 and still find ways to ‚burn cash‘!
Seems that the restoration wasn’t too long ago. You have the perfect basis for a top quality CSL!