New Leather

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Has anyone used ZoomZoomZooming via ebay for replacement leather? What is the opinion of the best company for new leather?
thank you

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wonder about this outfit as well:

TravL350

Site Donor
Reaction score
I inquired about the eBay kits and got these samples from Steven. I don’t have anything from World to compare them to, but they seem to be fairly decent. I think all in a new interior kit was going to be around $2400

Attachments

• B1A1422F-3658-4665-9FD1-6A81C6B41BE4.jpeg
    B1A1422F-3658-4665-9FD1-6A81C6B41BE4.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 112
  • EDA11D02-8D0C-471B-B4F2-57AC7DAAB609.jpeg
    EDA11D02-8D0C-471B-B4F2-57AC7DAAB609.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 113

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe a good company, maybe not.
The area code (978) is for my region (west of Boston), so I looked them up. Registered in Texas.

Generally I think all BBB certification/accreditation and endorsement is completely worthless because they just collect a membership fee and then publish what companies say without any verification of what is true. I could say I’ve been in business for 4 centuries and they’d post it as fact. This is what 3 local BBB’s told me over the phone.

But in this particular case there appears to be some BBB value via complaints about the company. Be careful.

L Seat

Last edited:

MTYPE

Reaction score
Wonder about this outfit as well:

lseat is the best choice, really nice leather, fix perfect

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
in regard to the ebay leather - i'm here to tell you that 350 bucks for a pair of seat covers does not speak highly to the quality of the leather. all leather is NOT created equally. decent leather will cost about 8 to 10 bucks / sf ... and that includes all of the little (virtually unusable) pieces from the legs. one hide costs about 450 bucks (+/- 50) ... super premium leather is much higher. and it would take about one hide to do the 2 front seats. then there is the labor.

@TravL350 is correct, a decent set of seat cover kits for all 4 will cost you about 2400 bucks - then you have to put them on.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
try Lseat

Didn't you read the complaints? It sounds like a scam shop. Do NOT use Lseat.

It's been my experience over the years that you get pretty much what you pay for with interior kits. There are huge deltas in leather quality. The smooth grain, euro leathers always feel and look much better than our US, heavy grain leathers IMO.

TravL350

Site Donor
Reaction score
try Lseat
If you've had such a great experience, why not post some photos & a review? I know some have different ideas about what constitutes a "deal" but wasting $700 on what could only be bottom of the barrel material or potentially receiving nothing at all, as several of the complaints described, sounds like a terrible gamble to me

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My e12 front seats required 1 1/2 hides and the rears used 1 1/2 so three hides 59/60/50 sq feet at $6.75 per sq ft was $1400 or so and that is before labor for custom covers which was a incredible deal at $1100, including rebuilding the seats. I have heard Zoom doesn’t fit real well and every seat will need burlap and new foam, I would never try this myself although I did do Gahh covers on a 230sl which are much simpler.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, i was only suggesting the tops / sides of the seats in 1 hide - not the backs. this is what most of the kits provide. you have to buy additional leather or vinyl to do the backs. the other side of my rough estimate is that if there are any holes in the leather (which is common in less expensive leather) you will be short. i also presume that you bought leather for Veterans, or through somebody that bought through them. they are a wholesale supplier. i bought leather for Gary for somewhere around 4 bucks / sf ... but that required calling in a favor (buying as if it was for me) from a leather company that we used heavily in hotel design.

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is what my leather Quotes were......I chose the German Napa...prices $Aud
Devon leather 20m2 @ $75/m $1,500.00
Mattise leather 20m2 @ $110/m $2,200.00
German Napa 20m2 @ $170/m $3,400.00

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone used ZoomZoomZooming via ebay for replacement leather? What is the opinion of the best company for new leather?
thank you
I was fortunate finding a Top Shop in Palm Desert, Caruso's Top Shop. He replaced the back seats on my E9. Can seam and cut any pattern, and any quality of leather. He comes from a family of long history in the leather business in italy.
He also work on my Mercedes 280SL and matched and replaced a section with Connolly Bros. leather.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
one other thing for anybody buying leather to remember. buying leather from the same producer / grade / color is one thing ... buying from the same dye lot is another. leathers from different dye lots quite often do not match samples exactly ... and can be very different.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott, yes I bought from Global part of the Veteran family I believe and there were holes and marks we couldn’t use. Unless you are going black I think any other color requires you to do the backs and I did buy premium leather.

MTYPE

Reaction score
Didn't you read the complaints? It sounds like a scam shop. Do NOT use Lseat.

It's been my experience over the years that you get pretty much what you pay for with interior kits. There are huge deltas in leather quality. The smooth grain, euro leathers always feel and look much better than our US, heavy grain leathers IMO.
i try Lseat, they have really good customer service...is not a scam shop (no affiliation)