New head bolts not locking rockers shafts in place - shafts free to move - causing misalignment of rocker arms??

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
the same problem happens when installing ARP head bolts. seems like the people using them have no problems. you can use rocker locks as insurance.
Yes, the use of the rocker locks with appropriate shimming would also solve the problem. We will look at using something similar as discussed in another reply.

Thanks
jjs2800cs

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok, that is what I am saying in my case a standard 8x1.25mm nut fills that void. But that only helps with the intake not moving, what did you do for the exhaust if you remember.

Really appreciate the dialog.

Jeff
Sorry, I just don’t remember but it alarmed me when I was installing the head on the motor so I went back to the machinist.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Engine Rocker Arm Shaft Plug Safety Lock Tab Kit BMW 2.5 2.8 3.0 3.5 6 Cylinder

• thumbnail 1 - Engine Rocker Arm Shaft Plug Safety Lock Tab Kit BMW 2.5 2.8 3.0 3.5 6 Cylinder
  • thumbnail 2 - Engine Rocker Arm Shaft Plug Safety Lock Tab Kit BMW 2.5 2.8 3.0 3.5 6 Cylinder
Have one to sell? Sell now- Have one to sell?
Engine Rocker Arm Shaft Plug Safety Lock Tab Kit BMW 2.5 2.8 3.0 3.5 6 Cylinder

Seller :
mbpartsguy (7509 )
100% Positive feedback

Condition:
New

Compatibility:
See compatible vehicles

Quantity:
8 available / 1 sold

Price:
US $24.90
Buy It Now

Add to Watchlist

1-year accident protection plan from SquareTrade - $5.99
10 minute call for repair assistance with a certified technician - $14.95
Free shipping
30-day returns
Ships from United States

Shipping:

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Blast from the past! One of those bigcoupe threads was me and my old E24, 15 years ago. eek
In my bodging, I used the standard "nut behind the plate" to hold the inlet rocker bars in place, and experimented with machining grooves in the rocker bars, to take a circlip (using the same circlip and washer as hold the rockers in place). But those locking tabs are a great design, wish I'd thought of that!

Is the thickness of the head bolt washers important? From the photos I think the locking tabs are not as thick as the washer would have been.

I fixed the issue on my E24 with a replacement head, from a breaking M90 engined 6er. The rockers in the new head were a much tighter fit and did not slide around.

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Finally have gotten fixes to properly align the rocker arms over the valve stems by fixing the rocker shafts in their correct location. As was discussed one fix for the intake is to put an spacer (nut) between the end of the rocker shaft and the rear plate on the head. Another possible fix is to use a collar shaft clamp on the rear intake shaft. We got a couple of these for McMaster-Carr, item number 6436K15.

Photo shows the clamp installed and another sitting there for clarification. Probably would recommend some thread locking liquid on the 2 set screws. I suppose one could install this on a running car during a valve adjustment, if there is any indication the rocker shafts might move in the future. All the intake valve clearances would have to be relaxed to allow a reposition and clamping of the shaft is is was found to be out of place.
Anyone see any reasons why such a clamp would not work on the intake side?

Unfortunately, this fix will not work on the exhaust side as the clamp is too thick to put in the similar location on that side. We did machine one of the clamps down as far as possible and still retain its integrity to see if it would fit. It does but to use the cir-clip and cup washer would have to be removed and replaced by the clamp. This of course requires the shaft to be removed and is not a fix with the head installed.

For us on the exhaust side we will use the right angle bracket as posted by sfdon.

Thanks to all.

jjs2800cs

1620992756485.png