New head bolts not locking rockers shafts in place - shafts free to move - causing misalignment of rocker arms??

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Are assembling a replacement head for our 2800cs. The rocker shafts are installed in the correct positions.

Upon installing rocker shafts and arms, we found the shafts are moving due to the spring tension on the rocker arms. This causes quite a misalignment of the rocker arm over the valve stem. See photos below. We are at a loss as to how to fix this. Not even sure new shafts would make any difference. Its the bolts. So what do we do?

The cutouts in the shafts where the head bolts go through are suppose to "lock" the shafts in place which by means of the increased diameter of the bolt right at the top under the hex head.

What we have found is with a new set of bolts supplied by W&N, the length of the larger diameter is too short, thus it barely engages the shaft cutout. This allows the shaft to move under the pressure of the springs on the rocker arms.

Here is a photo of a new bolt and an old removed bolt (which was even worse) showing the lenght of the larger diameter. The new bolt has a lenght of approximately 0.4" (10mm) while the older one has .360 (9mm). The washers are 0.158 thick (4mm).

0509212006.jpg

The depth of the cutout locator in the head is approximately 5/16" (.312") or 8mm.

0509212015a.jpg

So adding the washer to the bolt and dropping in the head on the bench, the locating larger diameter of the head bolt only penetrates into the head by (10mm - 4mm washer thickness) or 6mm, barely engaging the rocker shaft cutouts, if at all. It looks like only the the taper from the larger diameter (~.485") down to the bolt diameter of .418" is engaging the shaft cutout. The threaded end is about .460"

We measured the amount of left to right movement by putting 4 bolts and washers on the front intake shaft and found it to be 3/16" (5mm). The photo shows a mark with the shaft at the left stop of the movement and then at the right stop of the movement, showing the total lateral movement.

0509212023a.jpg

Here is a shot of the a rocker arm installed missing the eccentric for clarity, showing how far off the rocker arms will be, once the springs are installed, which we had done and that's how we found the issue. It actually worse than the photo shows. We did center the the shaft by inserting a rod solid rod of similar diameter of the the head bolt to center the shaft (as shown in the above photo) and by doing so, the rocker arms line up right over the top of the valve stem.

0509212026.jpg

The issue now is how to fix the problem? Here is a thread on another forum that explains the issue maybe better than us.

This article seems to indicate that BMW changed the design of the head bolts and the length of the wide part was reduced. Does anyone have a photo of an original bolt and measure that depth?

Of course the reason the shafts move in the head is that the wide part of installed head bolts is too short to reach the cut-outs in the shafts. Without any positive locking, the shafts just moved backwards under the pressure from the springs.

The fix?
On the intake side, some have put a spacer in the back of the head between the end of the shaft and the backing plate. In fact we found a nut inside our old head upon disassembly acting as a spacer. Now we know why it was there.

On the exhaust side the problem is the springs now are pushing the shafts forward. And there is nothing to block it like the intake side which gets pushed towards the back. Here is out situation. The shaft is sticking out of the head. All the exhaust rockers are misaligned over the stems.

One solution was someone in the above thread actually had 4 special bolts made with longer shanks to lock in the shafts. They are installed where there is no oil flow, at the 4 places where the lubrication spray rod gets installed.

0509212029.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Install the keepers in the front and old bolts in the back would do it.
Many high end engine builds used simple 90* shaft plates in the front.
need a pic?

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Install the keepers in the front and old bolts in the back would do it.
Many high end engine builds used simple 90* shaft plates in the front.
need a pic?

Yes, photo would help.

Not sure I understand what you are saying. With regard to old bolts, as my photo shows, my old bolts are even shorter in the area where needed.

What is a 90 degree shaft plate?

Also I thought of using one or more of these on exhaust if they could fit between the circlip side and pedestal support. The collar clamps cant be thicker than 1/4".

A 8x1.25 mm standard nut fits perfectly in the rear between the shaft and the back retainer plate for the intake.

THANKS

Jeff

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
A collar shaft lock could work here on any of the front intake rockers, but would have to be less than 1/4" thick. Look at lower right side of photo.

Thanks
jjs2800cs

0510211136.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have at least one of the special stops at the shop and several hundred old head bolts.
Heading in at 10:00 California time.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had this very problem 5 years ago when rebuilding our Jan 70 build date 2800 motor. We added a shim to the rear to hold that rocker in place.

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
I have at least one of the special stops at the shop and several hundred old head bolts.
Heading in at 10:00 California time.
How long (deep) is that area on an OLD bolt as compared to what I have? Also photo of special stop appreciated.

If the depth of the enlarged shank diameter is the issue on the M30 heads why in the world would BMW sell a bolt that does not meet the initial criteria?

Thanks very much
Jeff

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
It was placed at end of rocker under the cover at rear of head is all I know.
Ok, that is what I am saying in my case a standard 8x1.25mm nut fills that void. But that only helps with the intake not moving, what did you do for the exhaust if you remember.

Really appreciate the dialog.

Jeff

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
90* shaft stop plate

Attachments

• A9677A1F-7749-429B-A0F1-7C61C3D8A353.jpeg
    A9677A1F-7749-429B-A0F1-7C61C3D8A353.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 7413AB61-12A0-4554-B650-413646FB2A57.jpeg
    7413AB61-12A0-4554-B650-413646FB2A57.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 177
  • 57C6E3AA-BE92-4EEB-AB31-AB6F17D278AC.jpeg
    57C6E3AA-BE92-4EEB-AB31-AB6F17D278AC.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 169

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
100 lbs of of old head bolts

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 173

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Note that head bolts are more complex than you might think. The unthreaded shoulder at top has 2 dimensions. There is a step the thickness of the washer that keeps the bolt from being completely inserted into the head and bore hole

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Shoulder length

Attachments

• A04EE3C9-8B0F-43BD-AC58-C18830C21F7D.jpeg
    A04EE3C9-8B0F-43BD-AC58-C18830C21F7D.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 159

Bosozoku

Reaction score
the same problem happens when installing ARP head bolts. seems like the people using them have no problems. you can use rocker locks as insurance.

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Shoulder length
Yes I measured the two different diameters as you say, just about .005" difference almost impossible to see, but it is there.

My new bolts have the same lenght of the 10mm you measured, so I am good there. But still wonder, by using these bolts with no additional means to "lock them" in place, then the rocker shafts will move mis-aligning the rocker arms. So how and why were these engines assembled initially knowing this issue?? What was stopping the shafts from moving. Were the shafts initially a really tight fit? Mine slide right in and out. Or LOL maybe with the older heads warping it stopped the shafts from moving.!!

As far as the right angle clamp, yes now I see that is can be used at the front exhaust. Not needed on the intake as a spacer can be used in the back as was discussed in my case an 8x1.25 nut. So the right angle bracket is used in place of the washer. Clever.

We can make one of those. But in addition we ordered a couple of collar clamps from McMaster-Carr that we possible can use in place of the cir-clip with a suitable shim to lock the shaft up against a pedestal. I will post a photo if it works.

As always tons of thanks and I hope this maybe clears up the issue for others in the future.

THANKS
jjs2800cs