My Zenith carb adjusting / synching process

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After a couple years of adjusting my own carbs and with much valuable input from 61porsche and others on this board, I have finally worked out a system that gets my Zeniths pretty darn smooth. For the experts' consideration:

Parts used:

Digital rpm/timing light - critical for seeing small changes in rpm from mixture adjustments - my old analog gauge I now realize was useless.

Vacuum gauge(s) - I have 2 but only use one for this procedure.

Carbmate TS-111 synchro device - shows vacuum balance electronically between the carbs - basically an electronic manometer with more accuracy and without the risk of sucking fluid into an unbalanced carb. Adjusts for sensitivity. This thing is great.

STE Synchrometer with home made adapter to fit on top of the carbs - had one for each carb but one blew up from a backfire last year so now have to switch it from carb to carb - no big deal.

Here's the procedure (feel free to suggest improvments to the process)

1. Ensure valves are adjusted and timing is set. Check for vacuum leaks and repair if so. I have a pertronix so I have it slightly advanced and have plugged the retard function.

2. I took Jerry's advice and have linked the vacuum ports of each carb to the corresponding port of the other via vacuum tubing - both ported and manifold connections - this smoothed things out considerably on its own.

3. With this in mind I teed the tube between the manifold vacuum ports (driver's side of carbs on mine) so that I have a fitting to attach the vacuum gauge and cap it when it's not used.

4. Attach vacuum gauge to the tee.

5. Disconnect the linkages to the carbs so they are independent.

6. Close the butterfly valves via the set screws all the way (counter clockwise) so that no more valve movement happens when you turn the screws - then screw it back in just enough to detect the slightest of movements. The idea here is to get the carb to stay on the idle mixture circuit as much as possible.

7. Close the idle mixture screws until they stop all the way in (gently) - record how many turns it took for each carb so you have that to fall back on. Back the screws out 2 1/2 turns. I use a flexible driver from Sears with a screw driver bit taped in - this helps to access the screws behind the linkages when things get hot. A folded towel on the valve cover helps insulate.

8. Start the car, if it dies you can open the butterflies equally a little but only do so just enough to get it to idle - too much and you will suck gas into the venturi and mess everything up. Ask me how I know.

9. At idle, adjust the mixture screws (out is richer, in is leaner) and watch the rpm gauge and the vacuum gauge - small increments - one carb at a time and back and forth - I turn it out until the rpms and vacuum max out then back in until it stumbles then back out a little rich till smooth again. I watch the corner of the hood up in the air to determine the point of minimal shake. Combination of highest rpm and minimal hood shake. Using the vacuum gauge connected to both carbs minimizes gauge flutter and for me makes seeing small changes easier than having separate gauges - and is also visible proof that the connection between the carbs cancels pulsing vacuum and results in smoother operation. Using this technique I improved my vacuum reading from 15 to 18.5. My rpm here was about 800 +- 10 rpms but this probably will be different for everyone.

10. Once the idle mixtures are set disconnect the vacuum gauge and connect the Carbmate - it has a hose for each carb. Adjust the butterflies equally, keeping the LED display in the middle until you reach your desired rpm - I have A/C so I set it at 1050.

11. Check each carb with the Synchrometer to verify equal air passing through and adjust accordingly while keeping the Carbmate in synch also.

12. Idle should be smooth now with minimal missing/hood shake and puttering happily with a nice exhaust note.

13. Reattach the linkages - making sure that when you do there is no movement of the butterflies and no change in rpm. Put a little white grease in the sockets before popping them back together. Adjust linkages accordingly if change is detected.

14. Rev the car to 3500-4000 rpm and watch the Carbmate - if one carb is out of balance at higher revs, twist the knurled linkage adjustment piece at the back carb linkage until it zeroes them out. This ensures balanced carbs throughout the rev range, not just at idle and makes a big difference when driving.

15. Carbmate should show balance at both idle and through the rev range if linkages are correctly adjusted. Revs should be smooth and responsive with no missing.

16. Disconnect devices, plug the vacuum tee, check all other vacuums for tightness and take it for a drive!

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
nice

i mostly agree on this nice procedure, but:

instead of:

14. Rev the car to 3500-4000 rpm and watch the Carbmate

i would rather:

use the central bolt to rev the car until 1700 / 1900 rpm, and ....the rest is the same as yours

so (question): why do you propose such a high rpms to check ?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I want the carbs to be in sync as far up the rev range as possible - at 1700 it might be in sync but you might find at higher it slips out of sync due to linkage imbalance. So cruising at 3500 rpm (or higher) on the highway they are in sync here and at all points of the rev range.

so (question): why do you propose such a high rpms to check ?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i am ready to check it, but this disturbs me, how can we tell that if it is sync at 1700 it will be at 2500 ?
or if it is sync at 3500, it will be so at 5000 ?
since the only adjustment that wehave is the knurled linkage?
in other words, why check it at 3500 or at 1700 ?
regards

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Carbmate will tell you when one carb is out of sync at any rev amount so in my particular situation as I revved it, it would go out of sync around 2500 rpm - it required about a 1/4 turn of the knurled linkage to get correct (very sensitive), this did not throw off the synching at other rpms - once adjusted, the engine revs from idle to 4500 rpm without moving the Carbmate meter out of the synched zone so fortunately curing my problem at 2500 didn't affect other rpms.

i am ready to check it, but this disturbs me, how can we tell that if it is sync at 1700 it will be at 2500 ?
or if it is sync at 3500, it will be so at 5000 ?
since the only adjustment that wehave is the knurled linkage?
in other words, why check it at 3500 or at 1700 ?
regards

61porsche

Reaction score
Good write up .

I think that the common mistake is to overlook the throttle linkage, joints, the bushings at each end of the main link and how the pedal reacts vs. standing over the engine and trying to tune. What I mean by that is there is a lot of geometry going on that's easily upsetting the balance. First fix all the slop and regrease the ball joints and then make sure you have full pedal or linkage travel for full throttle and no hesitation.

It's almost as though one needs to remove the throttle screw used to set the rpm up to 1700 and temporarily replace it with something longer to raise the rpm up to check balance past or near 2500 in a manner that the pedal effects the carbs.

DQ- once the a/f mixture is set, it is linear. Unless there's blockage. Or the linkage geometry changes again towards full throttle.( Worn joints again.)

Here's a new one- we all know the importance of the accelerator pump or squirter. It's lever operated. But the manual doesn't say how or when, only how much. I beleive you can equalize that arm action with a feeler guage and "set" them for a little better seat of the pants performance. The tale is to have someone follow you and push the gas- a little black smoke or not? Food for thought. It's on my carb list to optimize then on to experimentation with the secondaries.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I adjusted my valves yesterday so I took pics of the carb synch device as requested by Tony. Here's a pic of the rear carb out of sync:
IMG-20120414-00384.jpg

And when both are in simpatico (see smiley face):
IMG-20120414-00383.jpg

Check to see they are synched at idle then I rev it to 4500rpm or so and adjust the knurled linkaged (only requires a tiny turn) to make in them synch at full range of revs.

Please add some pictures

61porsche

Reaction score
Pict

of the caps on the carbs?

Here's a tip- it tape mine on with clear packing tape. I also push down during testing to make sure nothing changes.

What difference did you find with the synchometers? Did the vacuum change?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Vacuum gauge(s) - I have 2 but only use one for this procedure.

Carbmate TS-111 synchro device - shows vacuum balance electronically between the carbs - basically an electronic manometer with more accuracy and without the risk of sucking fluid into an unbalanced carb. Adjusts for sensitivity. This thing is great.

STE Synchrometer with home made adapter to fit on top of the carbs - had one for each carb but one blew up from a backfire last year so now have to switch it from carb to carb - no big deal.

hi steve, i have two questions,

1- if you have the vaccum gauges, the ste synchro and the carbmate, which one do you think gives you the best results ?

i only have two vacuum gauges and i am quite happy with them, so not sure which benefit i would get from other system

2- where do you plug those three devices ? all of them to the same port ? which one ?

regards

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
My mechanic

Do you think it is fair to print this out to provide to my mechanic? Should I expect him to have all the equipment?

My coupe is running great. It I sense that it would run even better if he followed your clear directions.

Bumming, my local gas station ran out of premium and only had 87 octane with 10% ethanol. How bad is that?

Btw, what kind of gas mileage do you get?

Scott

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The carbmate hooks into the vacuum ports, for idle vacuum i use the manifold ports above the brake booster port (blue hose):
IMG-20120415-00386.jpg

For the rev range I use the advance ports on the other side (black hose):
IMG-20120415-00387.jpg

I have the caps from my vintage meter but it is only good for idle, it pegs the meters at higher rpms:
IMG-20110731-00464.jpg

I tried hooking up the carbmate to the caps but not enough vacuum to make it work.

I also took off the 4 linkage swivels and adjusted the 2 to stock length (50.8mm) and the others to equal length which made it zero out with the main accelerator linkage, you're right - getting the bugs out of the linkage is key for all this to work consistently.

Taping the caps is a good idea. I use the STE synchro meter as another check/verifiaction of balance at idle. What about this concept - I teed the ported and manifold vacuums together and ran each one into the carb mate to see balance at idle and as it transitions off idle up the rev range - seems to work but is there any issue with hooking them up like this? If so I could clamp one side off and observe the other - still would be more convenient than having to swap ports.

IMG-20120415-00389.jpg

of the caps on the carbs?

Here's a tip- it tape mine on with clear packing tape. I also push down during testing to make sure nothing changes.

What difference did you find with the synchometers? Did the vacuum change?

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Answered below:

1- if you have the vaccum gauges, the ste synchro and the carbmate, which one do you think gives you the best results ?

Depends - the STE is accurate at idle, but I like the carbmate because it shows any inbalance, I find that the STE and the vacuum gauges are difficult to compare to each other at speed and therefore not as accurate as having the carbmate tell you if one carb is pulling more air than the other. So I use both the STE and the carbmate to confirm each other regarding balance. The vacuum gauges flutter a little too much to really dial in a perfect balance, especially up and down the rev range, but they are good for setting timing etc. by showing quantity of vacuum but not as good as showing balance. The carbmate eliminates the balance guessing but doesn't show quantity of vacuum so the vacuum gauge has it's purpose also.

i only have two vacuum gauges and i am quite happy with them, so not sure which benefit i would get from other system

2- where do you plug those three devices ? all of them to the same port ? which one ?

See response to Jerry - they go in the vacuum ports of the carbs where distributor advance/retard would be sourced.

regards

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't know what my mileage is, but around town where most of my driving is done I am sure it's poor. I try not to worry about it - it comes with the territory. I have several non-ethanol gas stations in town so I fill up on 93 Premium no ethanol and the old girl seems to appreciate it.

Here's a list for Idaho - maybe one close enough to you:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ID

It can't hurt to show your mechanic the sync procedure - at least the concept of balance is shown and he'll at least have the vacuum gauges I would think.

Do you think it is fair to print this out to provide to my mechanic? Should I expect him to have all the equipment?

My coupe is running great. It I sense that it would run even better if he followed your clear directions.

Bumming, my local gas station ran out of premium and only had 87 octane with 10% ethanol. How bad is that?

Btw, what kind of gas mileage do you get?

Scott

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thx steve

Thx Steve! Not worried re economy nature of mpg but rather if it means anything re engine performance erc

Last I checked I avg betw 13-17 mpg but I like to rev fairly high

My mechanic will be getting the instructions next time. Should I expect him to have the equipment?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I doubt he'll have the carbmate (originally a motorcycle tool) and STE gauges unless he has the STE from working on carb'd cars from days gone by. Vacuum gauge(s) - yes probably.

My mechanic will be getting the instructions next time. Should I expect him to have the equipment?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Do I need the adapter?

TecMate TS-220 Synchronizer Adapter
Tecmate
$62.90 $55.70

Motion Pro SyncPRO Brass Adapter Set - 5mm 08-0013
Motion Pro
$9.95 $9.19

61porsche

Reaction score
Teed vacuum

would matter if the dizzy is not plugged and you're metering below 2700 rpm; especially at idle.

I still think putting on a wideband O2 sensor is worth it from a tuning standpoint.

I'm working on the best transition from idle to about 1200 on coast right now.( Position of the butterflys to the idle orfice on the throat vs more or less pump shot optimization.) Or maybe my solenoids need cleaned for better flow.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No, that's for more than 2 carburetors, you just need this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tecmate-TS-111-TecMate-CarbMate-Synchronizer/dp/B0022XTDQA

But if your mechanic is skilled he can get the carbs very well tuned with just the vacuum gauges and not investing in one of these, I am just somewhat anal about pushing the geek envelope with this setup!

TecMate TS-220 Synchronizer Adapter
Tecmate
$62.90 $55.70

Motion Pro SyncPRO Brass Adapter Set - 5mm 08-0013
Motion Pro
$9.95 $9.19