Lovely Fjord over tan in Vermont

tightbox

Reaction score
This is a nice car! That old Ziebart treatment helps tremendously. My Fjord "survivor" car also had this done by the original owner, and she is very solid.

The downside? Those little black plugs you see running along the underhood fender seams. A small price to pay for originality! The type of owner that had this done is usually fastidious about proper maintenance and care. Note: this one includes all books and dealer stamped records since new (mine came with this too - including all originally removed/replaced parts and a hand written journal!)

This one is investment grade in the long run...I just don't have the funds or space for a fifth coupe.

jmackro

Reaction score
Is that for the entire car, sort of link the fusible link in later BMWs? Or is it power distribution, perhaps to an aftermarket stereo?

Those little circuit breakers won't handle the whole car. They are typically rated at 20 or 30 amps. Enough for a stereo, but not enough for the starter. I have one in a similar location on my e9 to feed power to the relays that control the electric windows. Autozone and similar parts stores carry these things.

Hmm, we're getting a little off-track on a discussion of a '74 e9.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've never understood how the fake eBay listing works... are they fishing for a deposit?

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes - most likely fake although the seller is from Colorado originally so it's possibly just a eBay issue. The lack of a reserve and the choice of wording suggests it is fake though.

Bill, the seller, indicated he had several "serious" buyers on Monday. Have not heard back from him since so it's possible he sold the car.

My biggest concern with the car is the paint. The color of the blue appears to be off. There is some minor overspray on the A pillar seal - driver's side. Having seen photos of this car in February it looks to have had a trim-in respray recently with an eye towards a sale. The seller did invest in having the side markers removed and bumper holes sealed but I think the paint job itself was probably not the best. All things considered - looks like a nice driver, not sure I would consider it investment grade as indicated above.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fake add... looks pretty Nigerian to me (no offense to our Nigerian Coupe contingent here).

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My biggest concern with the car is the paint. The color of the blue appears to be off. There is some minor overspray on the A pillar seal - driver's side.

Are you saying you see overspray in the pics or from a conversation with the seller? As for the color, Fjord lightens with age (like Taiga and Ceylon). I would expect original engine bay paint to be lighter than a fresh Fjord exterior but it does look a bit more violet. That being said, I agree that it's a nice driver and not "investment" grade. More because of the "model" than the fundamentals. This car should be driven as much as possible... on long road trips until it needs another paint job and a rebuild.

Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score
Interesting. The fractured English in the ebay ad makes me even more suspicious...

Yes. And the terrain and foliage in the photos looks more like Vermont than Colorado.

59799326-770-0@2X.jpg

tightbox

Reaction score
Agreed, the color does look a little off - it could just be the camera's WB or a poor color match. GOOD catch on the overspray, Eiremon!

My $0.02 -- There aren't too many numbers matching coupes still kicking around with *all* records since new. Note that nearly all metallic colors from that timeframe had clear coat separation issues, so this one is about as original as can possibly be expected (the inner structure was preserved from birth with Ziebart, so it hasn't been disassembled/over restored). I'd put the original bumpers back on her, fix any niggling paint issues, and drive her sparingly!

My thinking with the "investment grade" comment is that the e9 will eventually follow vintage 911 values in the long term. If you're looking for long term ROI, find the most original coupe you can and preserve it. Modify a different/less original chassis for performance if that's your intention.

tmason

Reaction score
Why would anyone have 2 accounts here? Maybe I'm wrong but aearch uses all CAPS sometimes as well as Member ALANGARCH? I'm just curious as to why and not trying to be negative?
PS I think Tightbox is right about e9 going to be in the 911 price range

tightbox

Reaction score
Definitely the same member...I just emailed Alan pics of my S38 swap yesterday. I'd guess he just has some old credentials saved in his browser and accidentally picked the wrong account!