Lovely Fjord over tan in Vermont

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Wow, that's nice and seems very keenly priced. That would be a 100k car down under no problem, although it needs a 5 speed.

Cheers. John

jmackro

Reaction score
there is a plate mounted on the radiator support above the battery with three round knobs. Any idea what this it?

I am guessing that those are aftermarket fuseholders.

59799372-770-0@2X.jpg

Like this one:

70149531_large.jpg

Notice that there is also an aftermarket circuit breaker mounted ahead of the voltage regulator. So a previous owner has done some free-lance wiring here.

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
(not crazy about the black back bumper, but whatever).

That's a $6k whatever to get chrome bumpers installed on the car! Interesting choice to seal the bumper mounting holes on the front bumper. I wonder how much additional work has been created if you want to install a front bumper on it?

jmackro

Reaction score
That's a $6k whatever to get chrome bumpers installed on the car! Interesting choice to seal the bumper mounting holes on the front bumper. I wonder how much additional work has been created if you want to install a front bumper on it?

I'm not defending this car - I think the black rear / missing front bumpers look silly too. But remember, this is a 1974 model, with the 5 mph bumpers. I guess the restorer wanted to do something about them.

That back bumper may just be flat black Rustoleum over a pre-'74 stock bumper, which could be removed with $3 worth of paint stripper (or perhaps not, but one can hope). The underriders do appear to be missing.

Oops, my mistake: the front bumper mounting holes have been sealed. So yes, if you wanted to back-date the car's appearance at both ends, you'd have to remove the spoiler, make the necessary fixes to the valence and acquire a new pre-'74 front bumper.

59799334-770-0@2X.jpg

Last edited:

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Oops, my mistake: the front bumper mounting holes have been sealed. So yes, if you wanted to back-date the car's appearance at both ends, you'd have to remove the spoiler, make the necessary fixes to the valence and acquire a new pre-'74 front bumper.

It's less about back-dating - for me, the chrome finishes on these cars are one of the selling points in the design. I like the pre-74 bumpers.

Bill Sawyer

Reaction score
I notice poor panel fit on many of these cars, especially the hood and trunk. Is this a common problem? Is it hard to correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmackro

Reaction score
It's less about back-dating - for me, the chrome finishes on these cars are one of the selling points in the design. I like the pre-74 bumpers.

Maybe "back-dating" wasn't the right term. I wanted to say something more politically-correct than "the owner obviously wanted to lose those ugly 1974 bumpers", as we do have owners of '74's on this forum.

Do the 1974 models use the same holes in the valence for the bumper mounts as shown in your post #10 below? Somehow, I'd think those huge bumpers would require a more massive mount to the frame.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I notice poor panel fit on many of these cars, especially the hood and trunk. Is this a common problem? Is it hard to correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does seem to be a common problem. That is a pretty open ended question and answer I guess, but is it hard to correct? Can be......can be expensive if you are not a body guy. I had to spend some time on mine. Don't be afraid to put some muscle into it and bend some metal, lots of adjusting on the hinges, it is an art for sure. Too much and you did more damage then when you started. So be very careful with that ball of wax.....Very careful! Be patient and let an expert help you at the very least. But there are plenty of E9's and E3's with nice gaps.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Notice that there is also an aftermarket circuit breaker mounted ahead of the voltage regulator. So a previous owner has done some free-lance wiring here.

The orange thing? I believe that is factory.

Dohn

Reaction score
As the owner of a '74 with the dreaded big bumpers, I've tried to convince myself the no-bumper look would be better. Then I look at the uninterrupted expanse of beautiful sheet metal that forms the fenders and nose and imagine them being the first thing that meets a careless parker. These bumpers look better every day.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is that for the entire car, sort of link the fusible link in later BMWs? Or is it power distribution, perhaps to an aftermarket stereo?

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The more I look at this car the more I like it... Fully loaded with working air, power windows / sunroof and rust proofed from new.