LA Craigslist salvage title but looks nice

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
towing option

have we seen this car before? I recall the discussion about the towing point under the rear bumper. That seems a fair price if the car is even half way good as it looks...

RLobdill

Reaction score
I'm headed up to check it out soon. Did I miss something, it doesn't say salvaged anywhere on the ad?

I spoke to the owner some weeks ago and yes it does have a salvage title. He had it up on CL a while back

NoR32

Reaction score
Yeah just got off the phone with him, it is salvaged. Was hit in the front, left fender and hood. No "crumple zones were messed up".

So when I check it out what should I look for other than gaps lining up, strut tower rust and rocker rust?

And where the best vin lookup is?

Mcflury

Reaction score
Are you checking it out for yourself or as a favor to the forums?

Yeah just got off the phone with him, it is salvaged. Was hit in the front, left fender and hood. No "crumple zones were messed up".

So when I check it out what should I look for other than gaps lining up, strut tower rust and rocker rust?

And where the best vin lookup is?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
dont forget to

look at the firewall above the glove boxes (both sides) for evidence of rust and/or rust repairs.
If possible pull up the carpeting to check the floors ('73 still had non-molded carpets.
I always check the bottom door seam (skin to inner) as a gauge for how well the car was kept (dry). Always look at the spare tire well. Feel the backside of the wheel opening lips to see if the lips have been filled it with bondo. Have a close look at the underside seams of both hood and trunk. If there's rust in these areas you have to pull the skins to eradicate.

Take a weak magnet (small diameter is better) and run it around the usual bondo check areas
(1) lower-rear areas of front fenders
(2) Top of front fenders
(3) top "channel" of front fenders
(4) The vertical face of the front fenders where it transitions to the intermediate fender pieces
(5) lower corners of the doors
(6) Wheel opening lips
(7) A-pillar (bottom to top)
(8) flat area just behind sunroof

jmackro

Reaction score
Look at the fourth photo down. Beneath the bumper in the center, looks like the spot where a tow-ball would connect.

Oh yea - there is something non-factory going on in that area. Also, now that I study that picture, I see that the two bumperettes that are supposed to be under the bumper appear to be missing.

3F63Nf3Ha5N15H65J4d5sc95251211bfa1b6c.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
He has a bar bolted to bottom of bumper to support the center tow hitch. Common mod for towing back in the day.

Last edited:

NoR32

Reaction score
I'm checking it out for myself, all these tips will definitely help out. I asked for pics of before it was fixed so I shall check those out also. Ill keep everyone posted on my findings.

NoR32

Reaction score
Here is the vin (2240622) was given but on a few different vin decodes it came up as an e30 318i coupe from 1988. Anyone have any ideas? Obviously I will check the car as it was said to be given off title.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
VIN decoders do not work on cars imported by Hoffman, that started with BMWNA in 1975 and before 17 digit VINs. That VIN is a May or June build stick.