It Arrived '73 e9

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
Happy to finally be part of the club! It's been a fun journey just getting here and as owner #8 of this classic BMW, it's found a new home in the Sacramento region. Haven't had time to get too acquainted with her yet as Upper Leadership (aka The Wife) strategically scheduled 8 yds of bark to be delivered shortly after I received the car and then proceeded to abscond with it for a 3 hr joy ride with one of her girlfriends.

What little driving I did get was with friends who are equally as excited as I am and thoroughly enjoyed rowing the gears with windows down on a chilly day. The only shot I got of the new car was a video of my wife driving it away. Otherwise, all the photos I have were taken by friends and in front of their homes. These cars are charmers for sure.

It's amazing how much better these look in person than on pictures. The stance and presence they have on the road is incredible.

I'll post more once we get a few warmer afternoons and I can spend more time behind the wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_6628.jpeg
    IMG_6628.jpeg
    547.1 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_6633.jpeg
    IMG_6633.jpeg
    534.9 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_6060.jpeg
    IMG_6060.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 266

JBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
You were able to work out a deal with the seller post auction! Great news!! I was astonished that car didn't bid higher! Such a unique engine setup with the M90 and webers. M90s are really fun engines, I have one in my E12 and it is noticeably happier up top than an M30.

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
Smart to allow Upper Leadership first dibs on arrival, this will pay dividends in the future. How 'bout 'dem Weber trumpet sounds?
The intake noise on this set up is glorious. The only downside is these definitely perfume the garage with the sweet fragrance of gasoline for a good day after driving. Something UL is not very keen about. I haven't had chance to really investigate if there is a bit of flooding going on, but given the set up I'm not surprised by the somewhat excessive smell of gas.

Last edited:

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
You were able to work out a deal with the seller post auction! Great news!! I was astonished that car didn't bid higher! Such a unique engine setup with the M90 and webers. M90s are really fun engines, I have one in my E12 and it is noticeably happier up top than an M30.
I was! Finally got my e9! If seller was truthful with what he said the reserve was set to, this car had little likelihood in selling on BaT given recent sales history. I was able to negotiate a deal and seller was very easy to work with. He may still had a few scraps of meat on the bone based on what he put into it, but not much.
The M90 feels great. The real value of this car is all the previous work that went into it and the 45 plus years of history that Lewis Allen at Munich Motorwerkes has had with it. I'll be the first owner who will use another mechanic.
There are a few little things I've already discovered that were not referenced in the auction, but on the whole this car is sound and as good as one can expect for a 50 yo vehicle with a major restoration now 10 year's old. The service manual that she came with is 4 inches thick! There is a color picture book with extensive details on the last major full vehicle restoration. What history.

Oh, and the Recaros are fantastic! Even my 6'7" friend can JUST fit and drive it.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The intake noise on this set up is glorious. The only downside is these definitely perfume the garage with the sweet fragrance of gasoline for a good day after driving. Something UL is not very keen about. I haven't had chance to really investigate if there is a bit of flooding going on, but given the set up I'm not surprised by the somewhat excessive smell of gas.
Yep, the trumpets will allow some fuming because you have both the main venturis and idle jet vents open to the atmosphere, not into a box. Tell UL that this is a feature, not a bug.

PS Can't hurt to adjust idle mix screws to ensure one or more isn't out of adjustment, and that one or more accel pump jets isn't dribbling fuel at all times. Which model Webers are they?

Pittraider18

Reaction score
I'm very happy to see that a deal was worked out with the seller. This was a great listing to see on BaT. Glad that you got your E9 and looking forward to seeing it here!

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
Yep, the trumpets will allow some fuming because you have both the main venturis and idle jet vents open to the atmosphere, not into a box. Tell UL that this is a feature, not a bug.

PS Can't hurt to adjust idle mix screws to ensure one or more isn't out of adjustment, and that one or more accel pump jets isn't dribbling fuel at all times. Which model Webers are they?
Thanks for the tip. I'll give them a once over as soon as I have more time. These are 40 DCOEs. Real Deal Webers from Spain. The seller - a Houston based dealer - had his service group install them so they are brand new.

I'll just leave the garage door open a while after each drive.

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
No Kidding. I took it for spin this evening. Pushed it harder than on day one. This engine and set up is a blast. Begs to go harder. Snarls, pops, cracks and intake noise. Best Christmas Carole I can think of! I called my friend after and told him we drove it wrong on day 1. :p

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Herman-Welcome to the forum. My Coupe is also set up with the DCOE40 carbs. I leave the garage door open and a fan blowing for an hour or so to blow out the gas fumes. I turned in the center carb's idle mix adjustment screw a quarter turn since that's where the vacuum is connected and that helped somewhat. That's the small price to pay when your engine management system is otherwise known as " NO tronic".......Drew

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Congratulations on closing the deal on a really cool car!

Upper level leadership engagement is really helpful when acquiring toys to fill the garage.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Happy to finally be part of the club! It's been a fun journey just getting here and as owner #8 of this classic BMW, it's found a new home in the Sacramento region. Haven't had time to get too acquainted with her yet as Upper Leadership (aka The Wife) strategically scheduled 8 yds of bark to be delivered shortly after I received the car and then proceeded to abscond with it for a 3 hr joy ride with one of her girlfriends.

What little driving I did get was with friends who are equally as excited as I am and thoroughly enjoyed rowing the gears with windows down on a chilly day. The only shot I got of the new car was a video of my wife driving it away. Otherwise, all the photos I have were taken by friends and in front of their homes. These cars are charmers for sure.

It's amazing how much better these look in person than on pictures. The stance and presence they have on the road is incredible.

I'll post more once we get a few warmer afternoons and I can spend more time behind the wheel.

Welcome! Beautiful coupe, I watched that auction with great interest, I think you did really well.

Two comments:

The Recaros - I have the same seats in mine, for me, they are the only way to go. If I ever got another coupe, it would get Recaros. I've restored two '02s and (you guessed it) I put e21 Recaros in both cars.

Upper Leadership - My wife of 29 years may have just gotten a new nickname.

JBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
No Kidding. I took it for spin this evening. Pushed it harder than on day one. This engine and set up is a blast. Begs to go harder. Snarls, pops, cracks and intake noise. Best Christmas Carole I can think of! I called my friend after and told him we drove it wrong on day 1. :p
There ya go!!! M90s NEED to be wrung out when driving. Im talking redline! Thats the way to enjoy it, I know it sometimes feels wrong, especially in a collector grade classic but that's the reality these cars want. Your talking a race purposed bottom end and a "final iteration after decades of production" top end, trust me they are good for the hard driving! The lack of hard driving videos on BaT cars is kind of a shame, because who cares if it put puts around at 2k rpms, what matters is the top end. I know any car I ever offer for sale will have redline featured in that driving video!
A redline a day keeps the mechanic away ;)

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
Classic and Future Classic. Got together with a friend and his M2 today. Probably the only modern BMW I would like to own. Fun to compare the two next to each other. Guess which one we drove today?

Attachments

• IMG_6099.jpeg
    IMG_6099.jpeg
    462.3 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_6098.jpeg
    IMG_6098.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 145

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Beautiful car and a great pic. Congratulation on your purchase of a very sporty example of the classic e9. I would argue that that m2 will never be a classic despite it being a great driving car.​

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you know, i know which one i would drive ... and it would NOT be the M2. i test drove one early this year when i sold the 911. it has plenty of engine but it is heavy as lead for a small car, relatively balanced but felt sluggish from a handling perspective. i would drive the e9 any day before the M2.

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
you know, i know which one i would drive ... and it would NOT be the M2. i test drove one early this year when i sold the 911. it has plenty of engine but it is heavy as lead for a small car, relatively balanced but felt sluggish from a handling perspective. i would drive the e9 any day before the M2.
I’m not a big fan of any BMW this past decade, but if there was one I’d get it would be the M2 manual.
Fortunately I have both the ‘73 e9 and a 718 Spyder manual. Two cars I consider perfect for me for various reasons.