Is the e9 a pig?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I owned a "Pig" for 15 years and can assure you the E9 is not a pig. The FJ55 Landcruiser is affectionately called a "Pig". Not so much because of its performance (which was not great until you got it off-road) but more so for its shape. After owning my 2800CS for 37 years I would not consider it a pig performance wise either. There are many cars out there that have greater performance but few do it with greater style.

The FJ is more of a mountain goat than a pig. :)

lloyd

Reaction score
I would not be surprised if at least one of my calipers are dragging.

Strange coincidence. As a favor, I moved drove a friend's car today (non-E9), and not because I was eager to do so. It had been sitting for a few weeks. FWIW, being unfamiliar with this car, I was babying it between intersections and something seemed odd. At the first intersection with the car in neutral and at a very slight decline, it seemed to easily roll forward, requiring use of the brakes. At the next intersection which was on a very slight incline, the car did not roll backward as one might expect. I returned to the driveway and noticed the rotors had a little surface rust from sitting. Following my own advice, I jacked up each wheel and noticed that all of them would rotate in a forward direction with little resistance. However, the two rear wheels offered significant resistance when rotated in the rearward direction. With little time and less inclination to undertake unsolicited repairs, I have no concrete diagnosis. (I strongly suspect that the rear calipers are dragging and/or the car's internal/integrated parking brake shoes are too tight or the friction surfaces are rusted/contaminated. It is also possible, since the resistance appears to only apply in one direction, that somehow the limited slip differential or related bearings are at play. It is not a BMW and has a live axle, so CV joints are not part of the puzzle.)

If there is a point to this story, it is that rolling resistance may not be all that obvious when driving, but may become patently obvious when the driver has to push or pull. Similar to having a can of spinach without a can opener. So, in answer to the question of animal-like behavior, I would suggest a bear. Difficult to rouse when hibernating, but be careful when awake.

odin-the-6-5-foot-canadian-black-bear-who-pushes-his-owners-old-car-B4M3F8.jpg

How hard is it to push a pig?
299C0AB100000578-3123378-image-a-85_1434279410887.jpg

Pushing on sand?
tumblr_octsr6hKlA1sikw9ao1_500.png

Last edited:

restart

Reaction score
Bit late to the party but wanted to commment on moving a difficult car without touching the paint or body work.
My chosen method is to grab the tire at 12 and 9 o’clock, or 12 and 3 o’clock and roll it from there.

1163A05C-D976-4621-86B7-A818E4B95E4B.gif

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Restart,
You are right. Cars are generally easier to roll by rotating the tires.

For comparison, the modern 6 series weighs well over 4000 lbs. but back in the day the E9 was not considered light for a European sporty car . For comparison:

Jaguar XKE 2+2, 3029lbs
Mercedes 280SL, 2900lbs
Aston Martin DBS, 3500
Porsche 911, 230lbs

Which of these was the real sports car?
And of course, these numbers are why bmw made a CSL.

As far as moving one around, I have some cheap dollies with metal wheels and with significant effort I can roll it around. But I have to manually get all the dolly wheels pointed in the right direction first. At the office we have go-jacks and they are just a little bit easier to use.

John

restart

Reaction score
I very much struggle with the physics of wheel direction on heavy dollies.

I have a set of dolly wheels for my four post lift and the most time consuming aspect of using them is trying to get the dolly wheels pointing in the direction and pushing the lift at the correct angle.

The car is very easy to move sideways with the dollies, but not forward. I think that is just the physics that applies to all wheel dollies.

Glad I’m not the only one who struggles. Snip snip .

Snip snip
As far as moving one around, I have some cheap dollies with metal wheels and with significant effort I can roll it around. But I have to manually get all the dolly wheels pointed in the right direction first. At the office we have go-jacks and they are just a little bit easier to use.

John