Is the e9 a pig?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This came up in my build thread. I mentioned that the e9 is difficult to manually move by oneself. The primary reason is that there are no good places to grasp. Secondly, I would assert that the e9 is a pig!

My pillarless e9 with a near non-existent roof weighs about 3,100lbs give or take.

My four door outback wagon weighs about 3,400 lbs.

The wagon has:
4cyl motor (granted that makes a difference)
AWD
Reinforced doors
Extra large glass moonroof
Automatic transmission
6 air bags
Bulging dashboard and center console
Tons of sound deadening
17” wheels with 225/55 tires.

Is the e9 a pig?

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'd be interested to learn how much my car currently weighs. My guess is a bit more than the noted 3,100lbs. It does feel like a pig to move (push) around the garage. I have it on wheel dollies and I can rarely get it into motion. I have been attaching a ratchet strap to the front wheel dolly and for some reason pulling it sideways (perpendicular to the car), the whole car moves. In other words, the rear dollies mimic what the fronts do. I guess this would reinforce all that engine weight up front. I do manage to get it pushed back into the corner when I am done wrenching on it, but it is a rhythmic rocking motion and very little "finesse" is involved.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
cast iron 6 cyl block. Independent rear suspension adds weight, power windows, AC components.

3100lb is nothing compared to say a 1970 Dodge Challenger with none of the above!

Thinner sheetmetal used today for that Subie. More use of alloy suspension components perhaps. Aluminum block?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The car is very easy to move sideways with the dollies, but not forward. I think that is just the physics that applies to all wheel dollies.

Glad I’m not the only one who struggles. My back is fine and I am of average strength.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My back likes to go out about once a year, and I seem to get noticeably weaker every few months...

I better get this car finished before I can't turn a wrench. :eek:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
I don't understand. I can push my E9's very easy forward and back in the garage with 1 hand !

Don't let the emergency brake on and sure not in gear ! :p:D

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The 2000CS is pretty easy to move at the moment, but we still have a fair amount to attach (bumpers, trim, interior). I am curious to know what it will weigh once finished.

A10C08D8-5AEB-46C9-A061-FA493F309E81.jpeg

Ed

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I mentioned this on the other thread but since this one is more focused on this issue...

When the car is on its own wheels and if you have a hard and level floor, you can certainly push/pull it without too much trouble. But if you have to go even slightly to the side, you have to use wheel dollies and that gets much harder. I often have to turn each of the 16 wheels in the right direction by hand with channel locks if I want any hope of being able to move it alone. With two people it is barely easier.

I saw this thing on Jay Leno and it looks really interesting for anyone who needs to move a car inside a garage. At about a grand, it's not cheap but it sure looks like it would help a lot with a coupe:

Www.ezvjack.com

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
1973 Pontiac GTO - 3810 lb
1973 Mustang - 3215
1973 T-Bird - 4742
1973 Maserati Indy 3704 lb
1973 Aston Martin 3815 lb curb weight

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
My red one was 1407 kg as i bought it … complete oem, except already the Schnitzer wheels . Pitty i don't remember how much fuel was in the tank....
should put him once back on the scales.

duo 004.JPG
duo 003.JPG

lloyd

Reaction score
This came up in my build thread. I mentioned that the e9 is difficult to manually move by oneself. The primary reason is that there are no good places to grasp. Secondly, I would assert that the e9 is a pig!

My pillarless e9 with a near non-existent roof weighs about 3,100lbs give or take.

My four door outback wagon weighs about 3,400 lbs.

Is the e9 a pig?

I do not care to push any cars, but over the years, I have push started my fair share, including an E9 and E3. The latter has a center pillar. That said, pushing on the A pillar with the door open to enable steering and quick vehicle ingress, seems to work on both of the above versions. Higher tire pressure seems to reduce rolling resistance. Overloading the vehicle with drive train parts could also add to the problem. o_O

BMW-E9-CS-1.jpg

Come to think of it, I recall having difficulty pushing another car which led to a discovery of a dragging rear caliper and flex hose replacement. If you are serious about the practicality of a human powered E9, consider jacking each wheel off the ground and manually spinning each one. You may be surprised at the results.

91204_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

How's your spinach intake?
iu

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
dragging calipers could ofcourse be a reason… with free rotating wheels our coupes are pushed very easy ! i do it almost every day… to clear the lift . To much cars inside the garage :mad:

gwittman

Reaction score
I owned a "Pig" for 15 years and can assure you the E9 is not a pig. The FJ55 Landcruiser is affectionately called a "Pig". Not so much because of its performance (which was not great until you got it off-road) but more so for its shape. After owning my 2800CS for 37 years I would not consider it a pig performance wise either. There are many cars out there that have greater performance but few do it with greater style.