How many e9s still registered?

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Coupe mix--but first-make it twelve (12) in TWO MILE radius

forgot two.

Remember ALL CSi/CSL types were brought ashore by means other than the "official" Importer/Distributor for NA--Hofman Motors
Of the local group I know of one CSi (modern FI conversion from original carbed car) and one FI CSL and one carbed early CSL and one carbed euro 3.0 CS--the rest are US spec CS's--some still with original motors and Zenith carbs and others upgraded to larger displacement engines and Weber carbed such as BLUMAX.

Curious as to whats the purpose of your question?

psychrunner

Reaction score
just curious

Bluemax,
Since I have a csi I am restoring (well, not me but a restoration shop in PA) I am curious re: how rare the csi is in the U.S. given they were not imported for sale as new.
Thanks
Randy

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can think of at least 9 here in NZ that I have seen or Know about inc 1 csl, 7 of these are in Auckland alone, so theres probably a few more about, maybe 15-20?

adamm

Reaction score
there are very few left registered with the DVLA in the UK. As of 30th March 2006 there were 14 3.0cs, 15 3.0csi, 10 3.0csl, 4 2800cs and 1 2500. I dont know how accurate the DVLA's records are but thought the numbers were very interesting.

btw, hello to everybody, I've not been around these parts for a good few years now as I've been tinkering with a tii. Now that's finished I have some time for the e9! hurrah!

Ian Larsen

Reaction score
I count at least two dozen in the Baltimore, Washington DC, Richmond VA corridor.

Oh, and there's at least one and possibly three in Guatemala for those who are counting.

:)

gazzol

Reaction score
jamesr said:
Rohan,

1 CSI and 3 CSL's. I know the CSL's as they're both people on the board, but have only seen the csi from the train.

Which means it must be parked outside :cry: it's time someone had a chat with the owner about that.

I once read a classic car magazine article that said the rarer the car the higher the survival rate. The article put this down to the desireabilty of the car So despite the E9's appaling propensity for rust I'm guessing that there will be a high percentage still in one piece.

adamm I'm not doubting you personaly but I find it hard to belive that there are only 44 E9s left in the uk. Maybe there were only 44 on the road (taxed) in March 2006, there are 5 in Preston that I know of. My friend Peter fron Southend on Sea owns 2 and his brother owns 1, I know a guy in Bury Lancs that owns a CSL and a very rare (factory) manual 3.0 CS. Thats 10 cars before you count the forum members (I'm the only one of those mentioned who is on this forum) so I'd have to guess that ther are more out there somwhere.

shanon

Reaction score
I'd wager a possible dozen here in SF,CA. Saw three in one shop alone one day off Van Ness. Of those dozen, know of four that are members here, chatted w/ a couple owners 'parking' around town, then accounted for the unknown numbers possibly lurking in the fog or hidden in the garage.......... OK, let's say ten.

-shanon

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I saw one last night in a shop on US 434 Longwood FL. It was late, the shop was closed but it did not have license plates on it.
8)

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
I knew of 25 in South Africa when I left 2.5 years ago,

UK,apart from board members there's Sam Levers CSL,the guy he sold his 2800 to promptly bought another two, one of which is a CSL, doing Art Calder replica on one of them.

I thought I was alone in Ireland but there are two CSa's in Galway,One in Limerick, a CSi in rebuild stage in Co Offaly, three that I know of in Dublin apart from Rohan's
and a rumoured wrecked one in Co Tipperary

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Interesting. We have enumerated about 151 coupes by my rough count.

I'm adding the white 3.0cs I saw in Tokyo (perfect condition).

My summary report (trying to account for duplicates):

Jhjacobs Tokyo 1
Daxklynsmith South Africa 25
Stan Tel Aviv 1
Wally Siswadji Indonesia 5
Stan Longwood FL 1
Shanon SF Bay Area 12
ScottAndrews Costa Rica 1
Gazzol Preston, England (DVLA)
Ian Larsen DC/NoVA/MD 24
Adamm UK (DVLA) 44
Kasbatts NZ 9
David San Gabriel Valley 6
PJ Santa Cruz 5
Blumax Costa Mesa 2 + 10
steve in reno Reno 6
TILLA Portland, OR 3
G Montreal 5
ScottAndrews SF Bay Area (incl above - SF)
Jamesr London (incl above – UK)
Mark Dubai 1
steve in reno Iran 2

Total 151

I think it would also be reasonable to assume that there is at least one for coupe for each person on the board - some have none, some have more than one. This is 662. Does anyone know the totals from the CS registry (sorry if I missed it somewhere in this thread).

I would also like to suggest that in the US these cars were more likely owned by people on the east and left coasts. There would be some in major urban areas. However, at the time I owned my E9 (far more common) in east Tennessee I only knew of 3-4 other E9's and only 1 CS (it was in Kentucky). My point is that this was not a middle America car; middle American did not drive furin' cars. Even in 1986 when I drove cross country in my 524td I had a shift linkage failure in South Dakota. I had to drive over 300 mile to find a dealer.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well I saw a nice E9 in Paris with the yellow French headlights, and have
a co-worker in the UK (Nigel) with a nice CSL. That's two more.

Malc

Reaction score
Please be aware that the list I posted ages ago regarding E9 variants on the road from the DVLA was for cars currently registered and on the road (valid road tax) in the UK.
The list does not include those that are Registered but off the road or on SORN (Statutory off road notification)
However there is Dave down the road and on the road plus my two er.... wrecks :wink:
Malc

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I stand corrected and I plead ignorance of UK registration procedures and practices. :oops:

Shall we try to enumerate every single coupe? Perhaps we should create a single coupe sighting forum - sort of an unofficial registry. I think this group will eventually spy or become aware of most every coupe on the road anywhere in the world.