How many e9s still registered?

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
X atlas0 in his nice FAQ mentions 30,000 e9s made worldwide and other treads mention 3700 US e9s. Any intelligent estimate as to how many are still registered (which would imply quasidrivable)? I recognize many project cars may not be registered, but also recognize that many of the 30,000, particularly in Europe may have either been to the crusher or disintegrated.

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
Malc got some data from the MOT a while ago, but in the states you would have to hit every one, same withe Canada's provinces / territories, although there probably aren't many in Nunavut :roll: Then there is the rest of the EU, Australia, New Zealand, etc. Probably a mathematical model would be the best bet :lol:

steve in reno

Reaction score
There are at least 2 in Iran. Belong to a long ago great group member named Mehrdad. We had another in Singapore. Another in Costa Rica, Columbia, So Africa has several.Car nuts world wide!

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve, I didn't mean to imply that there weren't many more out there, just that from the demographics of this board and the fact that it is in English (of various sorts) we unfortunately don't have a more cosmopolitan audience.

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great model Steve - but why 7%

Granted the rust factor justifies this in the early years when unknowing folks thought they could actually drive their e9 in the rain without dire consequences, but don't you think in the last decade this would be less than the average disposable car (e.g Oldsmobile) since folks figure they are worth keeping and avoid exposure to the elements.

The other factor is that these cars generally are driven less now than in the first 5 years of life.

I would think that the attrition of 30 yr old e9s, Porsches and Jags would begin to plateau.

Just my two cents - but I enjoyed your calculations.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Great calculation. If you roll to 2007 it would be 2209 but who's counting. That would also imply 287 in the US. We know that there are some cars brought into the US from elsewhere and I suspect fewer leave the US than come in so lets round it to 300 and call it a day.

Then again, the rust factor is interesting. I like to think that as they disintegrate before our eyes they somehow re-materialize in a parallel universe in some lucky schmoe's driveway. This is surely just a cruel joke. As Albert Einstein once said, "The Lord God is subtle, but malicious he is not." Later he recanted slightly saying, "Maybe he is a little malicious" - - While some attribute this to his frustrating search for a theory of everything, I attribute this to the notion that he must have owned a coupe.

jamesr

Reaction score
There are now 4 within a mile radius of my house. Can i claim that i live in the most densely e9 populated area in the world? Apart from that dutch bloke on youtube who has a garage ( that's biggger than my house ) full of them...

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
James, what are they all like? That is fair going to have 4 in a mile. When i lived in Barnet there were three within a mile.

schnell540

Reaction score
There are now 4 within a mile radius of my house. Can i claim that i live in the most densely e9 populated area in the world? Apart from that dutch bloke on youtube who has a garage ( that's biggger than my house ) full of them...

Not any coupes, but I visited a Dutchmen who lives near the German border a few weeks back who has FOUR 2002 turbos. And 2 e-12 Alpina B7s. A few other good odds and ends, here and there, too. All for sale, mind you.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I would put the remaining total at about 6000 to 4000, as these cars do have a distinct advantage over the 2002 or Bavaria: they were really, really expensive. Think of how many old Ferraris still exist, and compare that attrition rate to ours. The original purchasers would have to have been relatively well-heeled individuals, and could afford to fix the rust. Plus, since it was so expensive, you'd have people make a time capsule out of it, which is why you can still find low mileage examples, even after 30+ (almost 40 for you 2800 CS guys) years.

jamesr

Reaction score
Rohan,

1 CSI and 3 CSL's. I know the CSL's as they're both people on the board, but have only seen the csi from the train.

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
I ran this same basic model withthe 635, and ran it past the Roafly group. They had many of the same comments (modest early attrition, higher mide year (say around 7-12 for the coupe), and then very low out year attrition.

I'll redo it later tonight using that more refined model.

My WAG is that there are about 4500 coupes left worldwide.

In my neighborhood there are at least 3 in a 2 mile radius, but then, I live in the coupe epicenter (SF Bay area)...

S

G

Reaction score
Hard to believe but...I've spotted 5 coupes in Montreal..and my mechanic informed me that a CSL pulled into his garage last week.

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know of five at least here in Portland, Oregon and several in Seattle. By the way Scott I purchesed mine from a chap in SF - sorry to thin the herd :(

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Coupe count within 2 miles--epicenter where?

Within same 2 mile radius of where the BLUMAX is resting after some brisk exercize this AM--a quick run to see the Eye Dr. in Newport Center-followed by an even quicker run to see the Coupe King in North Long Beach for a vital missing part for one of those High Priced CS's (you know the kind Tri-power rankles about when he hears the price--followed by the observation there is a fool born every min--er something like that) here in Coupeland--really nice ones do find willing buyers in private sales that are not on the radar scope of traditional industry publications or that you hear about--

HHhmmm--just a quick head count--I know of ten (10) nearby--so unofficially--here in Orange County, SoCal, Newport Beach is the apparent REAL epicenter of Coupedom (;>)

steve in reno

Reaction score
I don't know Murray. I live in a much smaller market, in area and population (<300K)and I know of 6 in the metro area. And possibly more I don't know about.
I won't say Reno is a mecca or hub, but we have the National Automobile Museum. A must see if ever in town!
steve