Hello from the middle America.

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve had my e9 for 20+ years now. 2285075 brought to the states in the late 70’s and lived few years in Ohio and then migrated to Indiana in the early 80’s and I purchased him/her in 2001. I had to redo the head from an overheating episode from previous owner. Steve Kinser’s engine builder was the one who did all of the head work. It was originally Polaris and hideously faded and worn and now is in a worn alpine white but will change the color back to Polaris the next time around

I am slowly getting back into doing car stuff since I now have space to do the work, well once the pole barn is cleaned out of all of the shit from when my wife and lived in it for a year while building our house. But that is a story for a different time.

I was able to talk my wife into going to the Vintage this May (she is not a car person). So hopefully I’ll get to meet some people there.

Peter

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry work and lack of internet issues. Living in rural Indiana at its finest. LOL.

Hi Tom. Yes I’m in Nashville Indiana now was previously in Fort Wayne and Danville.

Hi Dave in NC. I’m excited about going to Asheville and playing in the Smokies. My wife Becky is excited because she’ll get to hike and or tandem MTB at DuPont.

Hi HB Chris and Keshav. Yes it is a right hand drive and super fun to drive when I get the chance to do so. Sadly, it hasn’t been on a road in three years but I do start it every month or so. I’ll take some pictures this spring once the snow and salt on the roads is gone.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry work and lack of internet issues. Living in rural Indiana at its finest. LOL.

Hi Tom. Yes I’m in Nashville Indiana now was previously in Fort Wayne and Danville.

Hi Dave in NC. I’m excited about going to Asheville and playing in the Smokies. My wife Becky is excited because she’ll get to hike and or tandem MTB at DuPont.

Hi HB Chris and Keshav. Yes it is a right hand drive and super fun to drive when I get the chance to do so. Sadly, it hasn’t been on a road in three years but I do start it every month or so. I’ll take some pictures this spring once the snow and salt on the roads is gone.
Peter, what’s the story behind having a RHD CSL? (I’m in the U.K. so always interested to hear about RHD cars).

Reactions: Wes

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
H
Peter, what’s the story behind having a RHD CSL? (I’m in the U.K. so always interested to hear about RHD cars).
Hi Michael, all I know is that it was purchased in London by someone and stayed in the UK until the late 70’s and was then imported to the US. They were in Columbus, Ohio area. They kept it until, I think 81 or 82, when the wife made him sell during a divorce. That is what the previous owner told me. He bought it and moved it to Bloomington, Indiana and drove it over the next 10 or so years. He kept a journal of everything he did to it, including gas tank fill ups, mileage, spark plugs, etc…. It then decide to overheat and blow a head gasket in the mid 90’s. So he parked it in his garage. It stayed there collecting dust.

I come into the picture in 2001. I had just finished going to the Midwest 02 fest at the tire rack and was driving my tii home and had a blast driving it. Got home, watched a thunderstorm storm come and go and was relaxing with my now ex-wife in the living room and we hear what we thought was some more thunder. But then some neighbors knocked on our door and asked us for help checking on our direct neighbor’s house because their tree landed on their house and crushed the roof of my tii. Nobody was hurt but the neighbor’s house needed a complete redo and my tii was totaled. So I bought it back from the insurance company and went trying to source a body for it and called a friend of mine from Bloomington whom I had purchased the tii from if he knew of any for sale and he said he thought the water guy (he worked for the local water company) had one. So I contacted him and he said yes he did have one and would love to sell it so I went down and while I was looking at the 2002, I saw the coupe and made a package deal for both and they said yes and my wife said something has got to go so I sold the tii and the body off to a guy from the Chicago area and I really miss that car.

I got it knowing the head was probably toast but I took the head to Taylor Davis or Davis Taylor auto shop. He found 17 cracks that he repaired and then I went searching for cam lobes and springs and had it running by the following year and that was twenty years ago. Some days it seems like yesterday, but got divorced and got to keep the coupe. After the divorce didn’t drive it very often. I did drive it to new buffalo, Michigan on a weekend with two kayaks on top. That was me trying to figure out the dating world. One does stupid things at times. She didn’t work out. I think probably because in some ways I wasn’t ready yet so we parted on decent terms. Then the divorce caused some difficulties with life because my ex moved across the country with our kiddo and so working and trying to be a dad require a lot of travel and very little free time. I worked Night Shift for 25 years until this summer when I switched to weekend day shift. So it took many years to meet someone finally and so I packed up everything in my house and moved it to Danville where I got married and she lived and with a HOA that was very restrictive so I had to sell off a lot of my things. I really do A LOT of things! But I managed to keep the coupe. She couldn’t nor does she want to understand it why I want or need to have so much stuff. So, we started tandem bike riding together. She did that with her previous husband and I was a mountain biker. Then we tandemed for a year and then we were hit by a car on the tandem and are here only because of the grace of God. We then slowly switched to tandem mountain biking because of PTSD of cars and last summer we rode at DuPont in NC and loved it. So when the Vintage came up I thought it would be a way to combine something I like with something we both like and she said yes to going. But she keep threatening to drive separately LOL. But because of our love of tandem mountain biking we decided to take a plunge and sold her house and my house and put it toward building a airBnB bed and breakfast and so we bought property next to Brown County State Park in Nashville. We built a pole barn to store everything we had and live in while building our house. We had a 8’ x 16’ living space with no water and no electricity for the first 4 months of the year long building process. But the coupe was happily tucked away in the barn and is becoming more and more visible every day. I just found this photo and it was taken just prior to moving from Danville to Nashvill

So now it is sort of back home. Only 20 miles away from where I originally purchased it.

Now I have been waiting on Mr Musk to get his satellite internet to our area for a year now, because this would be way easier on computer.

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
Trying to upload the photo. Rural internet sucks.

C6E82D1C-93FA-49E2-AC4A-352F3EDA0A86.jpeg

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
H

Hi Michael, all I know is that it was purchased in London by someone and stayed in the UK until the late 70’s and was then imported to the US. They were in Columbus, Ohio area. They kept it until, I think 81 or 82, when the wife made him sell during a divorce. That is what the previous owner told me. He bought it and moved it to Bloomington, Indiana and drove it over the next 10 or so years. He kept a journal of everything he did to it, including gas tank fill ups, mileage, spark plugs, etc…. It then decide to overheat and blow a head gasket in the mid 90’s. So he parked it in his garage. It stayed there collecting dust.

I come into the picture in 2001. I had just finished going to the Midwest 02 fest at the tire rack and was driving my tii home and had a blast driving it. Got home, watched a thunderstorm storm come and go and was relaxing with my now ex-wife in the living room and we hear what we thought was some more thunder. But then some neighbors knocked on our door and asked us for help checking on our direct neighbor’s house because their tree landed on their house and crushed the roof of my tii. Nobody was hurt but the neighbor’s house needed a complete redo and my tii was totaled. So I bought it back from the insurance company and went trying to source a body for it and called a friend of mine from Bloomington whom I had purchased the tii from if he knew of any for sale and he said he thought the water guy (he worked for the local water company) had one. So I contacted him and he said yes he did have one and would love to sell it so I went down and while I was looking at the 2002, I saw the coupe and made a package deal for both and they said yes and my wife said something has got to go so I sold the tii and the body off to a guy from the Chicago area and I really miss that car.

I got it knowing the head was probably toast but I took the head to Taylor Davis or Davis Taylor auto shop. He found 17 cracks that he repaired and then I went searching for cam lobes and springs and had it running by the following year and that was twenty years ago. Some days it seems like yesterday, but got divorced and got to keep the coupe. After the divorce didn’t drive it very often. I did drive it to new buffalo, Michigan on a weekend with two kayaks on top. That was me trying to figure out the dating world. One does stupid things at times. She didn’t work out. I think probably because in some ways I wasn’t ready yet so we parted on decent terms. Then the divorce caused some difficulties with life because my ex moved across the country with our kiddo and so working and trying to be a dad require a lot of travel and very little free time. I worked Night Shift for 25 years until this summer when I switched to weekend day shift. So it took many years to meet someone finally and so I packed up everything in my house and moved it to Danville where I got married and she lived and with a HOA that was very restrictive so I had to sell off a lot of my things. I really do A LOT of things! But I managed to keep the coupe. She couldn’t nor does she want to understand it why I want or need to have so much stuff. So, we started tandem bike riding together. She did that with her previous husband and I was a mountain biker. Then we tandemed for a year and then we were hit by a car on the tandem and are here only because of the grace of God. We then slowly switched to tandem mountain biking because of PTSD of cars and last summer we rode at DuPont in NC and loved it. So when the Vintage came up I thought it would be a way to combine something I like with something we both like and she said yes to going. But she keep threatening to drive separately LOL. But because of our love of tandem mountain biking we decided to take a plunge and sold her house and my house and put it toward building a airBnB bed and breakfast and so we bought property next to Brown County State Park in Nashville. We built a pole barn to store everything we had and live in while building our house. We had a 8’ x 16’ living space with no water and no electricity for the first 4 months of the year long building process. But the coupe was happily tucked away in the barn and is becoming more and more visible every day. I just found this photo and it was taken just prior to moving from Danville to Nashvill

So now it is sort of back home. Only 20 miles away from where I originally purchased it.

Now I have been waiting on Mr Musk to get his satellite internet to our area for a year now, because this would be way easier on computer.
wow that’s some story. Many ups and downs but the coupe has been with you all the way. So glad it’s all worked out for you. Looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing how you get on with that lovely and rare RHD car of yours!

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like those 2 kayaks are resting on your UK vinyl roof. There should be a nice assortment of Coupes at this year's Vintage. Hope to see you there.

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
Trying to upload the photo. Rural internet sucks.
You don’t see that every day! Tell me your first order of business wasn’t to tryout hauling gear.
Extra credit for your garage stuffing skills as well. Also if the height of those kayaks are as tall as they appear, I wouldn’t have the guts to try to split the garage door opener backing up.
More photos of your coupe!

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like those 2 kayaks are resting on your UK vinyl roof. There should be a nice assortment of Coupes at this year's Vintage. Hope to see you there.
Yes there were two kayaks on the roof rack. It did have a vinyl roof but the vinyl was in really bad shape so I removed it many a year ago. But I’m hoping to have the tandem mountain bike on it for this year’s excursion.

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes there were two kayaks on the roof rack. It did have a vinyl roof but the vinyl was in really bad shape so I removed it many a year ago. But I’m hoping to have the tandem mountain bike on it for this year’s excursion
You don’t see that every day! Tell me your first order of business wasn’t to tryout hauling gear.
Extra credit for your garage stuffing skills as well. Also if the height of those kayaks are as tall as they appear, I wouldn’t have the guts to try to split the garage door opener backing up.
More photos of your coupe!
The kayaks aren’t so bad just really long. Bikes on the roof are another matter. I have ruined a bike yet, but I have come very close and test every car now with the talkest bikes. Having parents that moved me almost every year somewhere new, while growing up, helped with my packing skills.

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes there were two kayaks on the roof rack. It did have a vinyl roof but the vinyl was in really bad shape so I removed it many a year ago. But I’m hoping to have the tandem mountain bike on it for this year’s excursion

The kayaks aren’t so bad just really long. Bikes on the roof are another matter. I have ruined a bike yet, but I have come very close and test every car now with the talkest bikes. Having parents that moved me almost every year somewhere new, while growing up, helped with my packing skills.

Attachments

• KAwyuP-fRUulaj03wQlWeg.jpg
    KAwyuP-fRUulaj03wQlWeg.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 82

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
This was my daily driver being used as a pick up truck….Becky was worried about me driving the 140 miles looking like that. I did multiple trips. In hindsight might have been cheaper to have rented a moving truck, but what would be the fun in that.

dbower

Reaction score
There are some oldtime CCA members still around Columbus who may remember this car. Let me know if you're interested and may want some leads.

Don