Gauges?

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Analog gauges are beautiful. I have never seen the Air Fuel Ratio gauge option that Markos shows (Lambda gauge) and for a carb'ed car it is probably the most useful one.
A body roll gauge would be awesome and have an airplane feel to it.
Electrical, I suspect current is more relevant than voltage to anticipate issues. Coolant temp, well there should be one at the bottom of the radiator and another at the thermostat I guess.

Yes, yes, I'm feeling a gauge deficit. Need to add altimeter - Yaw - roll - pitch - accelerometer - cabin pressure - heart rate warning - tyre pressures - inside / outside ambient temp, humidity, dew point, barometric pressure - UV index - ambient light alert to turn on the headlights - sleepy driving sensor alert ( anything beyond a 15 second microsleep ) and most importantly - Twitter, Facebook and E9 forum Likeometers.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
series 1 has no ºC or metric units, unfortunately
are they electromechanical or electronic ?
That's okay as my speedo reads MPH even though we get the Euro version of the E9. Instruments are electronic. I don't want a leaking oil line behind my dash board. I think water temp is electromechanical.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I did an AFR swap into a VDO housing to match as closely as possible the vintage look (swapped the needle etc). But I found myself obsessing over it and preferred to have a real water temp gauge so passed it along to another member here. It was cool though.

B50U67KkuSH2TlnjltSTDigp4uepT78U09_CiIQl3VPUUsSqqcxY0HY7lXLJYOSNsOPDHCvuGVwQEL3rkLuFxlYQTe5HakdvDUtMH2_4ItZQj2h-aTLMwxCqpem-kYbwrky719-vo8TWaEVMRXVZ7Tlt65X7n5AGLkwPtC5PD86l_Nidn4v4C_1joD7SSvXnYgtB890gktS-37uBWBpuzW7zVTN5PA0Yyt2yk3o3dguLbc82b8e0CGglO0D1IEsEEp8_FRubsUqdp4QhvoKJidXoaJBahdageHdsRxAjyO8T5XHTv5D9SRg8hMDVyE2zeCOYrDrF5b78DfADeyZlWy5CV2aWTSpCSftnWPPvxKeFqTRHkdvIHPyde1mK2HLmrgAp3ktNZO9b4Cexkv1QZEl2zMmqg_fma3M4Hre_oAVhOUpoIfaPXu9bNxArQNEGJvgzqOmeIv42MdAcblhwIYogS7usb25cOmvlZcR1sTRjcgen3qnTOOCD9ld7mMkCMt9FeAFokUp1ANJ0Yndb6QwutZou6Q944kmJ35Y6OgQJ3AdABr_F2hoTpewxobjtuf4yKm_db8cVwBLnEjCa-dcr-TxY_fo1OblL7p_rqVZWZ9ONIS0qQCDW9d02ii74PnQ5oFrRSAHXCGmgWoSc-WcELSLXw_TQ5wkPMl5b8cEKwPDQZmvJxhWI-_Cc=w1034-h775-no

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's okay as my speedo reads MPH even though we get the Euro version of the E9. Instruments are electronic. I don't want a leaking oil line behind my dash board. I think water temp is electromechanical.

reason of my question to @Stevehose

i used to have vdo, and they were electronic gauges,
4FC765B2-861D-49EB-95BA-DB0FCF7B46AD.jpeg

then i switched to motometer, electromechanical,

A00A8C69-7DBE-47CC-8486-886F0ABBE700.jpeg

my question is whether the vdo series1 are electronic or not

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
DeQ I believe they are electro-mechanical in that they are the same type used back in the 70's, no modern components

jmackro

Reaction score
my question is whether the vdo series1 are electronic or not

A few minutes of web browsing indicates that VDO makes both electrical and mechanical versions of the Series One oil pressure gauges. The electrical version does not have the needle pivot at the center of the gauge, while the mechanical gauge needle is at the center, making it a better match for the factory, e9 instruments. Here's the electrical version:

918-350-3061.jpg

Heres what the mechanical VDO Series One oil pressure gauge looks like:
918-150-330.jpg

JEGS is one supplier - no doubt there are many others - see: https://www.jegs.com/i/VDO/918/350-...EXWJsEAfKUzVZpsowRhiFvhJiWiTTjtwaAvGVEALw_wcB

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
A few minutes of web browsing indicates that VDO makes both electrical and mechanical versions of the Series One oil pressure gauges. The electrical version does not have the needle pivot at the center of the gauge, while the mechanical gauge needle is at the center, making it a better match for the factory, e9 instruments. Here's the electrical version:

918-350-3061.jpg

Heres what the mechanical VDO Series One oil pressure gauge looks like:
918-150-330.jpg

JEGS is one supplier - no doubt there are many others - see: https://www.jegs.com/i/VDO/918/350-...EXWJsEAfKUzVZpsowRhiFvhJiWiTTjtwaAvGVEALw_wcB

excellent, they are aesthetically the perfect fit, but no metric and no celsius, no fun

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score

Also found an E30 based thread on gauge installs. I've just installed a set of Audi gauges in my E9, with a minimalist approach. As these are clearly non factory I haven't worried too much about matching the needle colour, or trying to mimic an Alpina type gauge pod.

I haven't got to senders yet. I have a question: what pressure does the oil pressure warning light come on on our cars? I've read that it's as low as 0.1 bar, which is crazy low in my view. Although the markings on the one on my car say 0.2-0.5 bar, which is better I guess. I'm thinking at idle, with hot oil the pressure should still be ~1 bar.

The reason I ask is I'm looking to buy a new VDO combined sender a switch. There are various VDO part numbers which have the correct 0-5 bar range and M12x1.5 thread
360 007
360-081-030-006C, has 0.6 bar switch
360-081-030-008C, has 0.5 bar switch

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Some info on my install.
Gauges are from any old 90s Audi, cheap on eBay if you can cope with orange needles
Oil pressure sender is VDO part 360081030008C, which has an electro-mechanical pressure sender and a 0.5 bar low pressure warning switch. It has the correct M12x1.5mm thread to be a direct swap for the factory switch. The new switch operates at a higher pressure than the factory one and it does take noticeably longer to extinguish the idiot light on start up
Oil temp sender is Audi part 049919563B. This has a M10x1.0mm thread and it took a bit of work to do a neat install on the oil filter head.
It's all reversible except for the hole I drilled in the oil filter head
IMG_0886.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG
IMG_0888.JPG

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have an 80 psi gauge so I think I have this one, also allows the connection of the idiot light. I used an M12 to NPT adapter between the head and the sender to get enough clearance to mount it and for the threads.

Hi Steve,
What sender did you use for the oil pressure gauge? I presume it is electric?
And where can I order one from?
Thanks.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Don't do it!
I wanted gauges but didn't want to see them in the cockpit of the most beautiful coupe in the world.
I have a center console/armrest. Made by a guy on here. Sorry name escapes me at the moment. Purchased more than 4 years ago.
I put my gauges in the compartment under the armrest. I have to lift the lid to see them but I trust my engine build and usually just check it now and then.
I have water temp in degrees, oil pressure in pounds and voltage in 12 volts DC.
I don't have a photo but I should. Sorry.
Try to get one tomorrow.

It's not a race car!

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't do it!
I wanted gauges but didn't want to see them in the cockpit of the most beautiful coupe in the world.
I have a center console/armrest. Made by a guy on here. Sorry name escapes me at the moment. Purchased more than 4 years ago.
I put my gauges in the compartment under the armrest. I have to lift the lid to see them but I trust my engine build and usually just check it now and then.
I have water temp in degrees, oil pressure in pounds and voltage in 12 volts DC.
I don't have a photo but I should. Sorry.
Try to get one tomorrow.

It's not a race car!

so funny,
no to add gauges and
yes to central armrest
i would say exactly the opposite, for the same reasons !

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
So ugly to put extra gauges in a beautiful car that already has the necessary gauges. Guess not body trusts them. Not even me.

In American, having coffee in your ride is more important that knowing your oil temperature, unless you are racing.

Is there space to install the gauges in a recessed way so stock wood speaker cover can fit over it?

If yes, Remove speaker cover to drive, and replace when parked or showing the car.