Gauges?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought about doing that, but it involves modifying the back of the speaker cover, something I didn't want to do. I like the gauges on display, and on a road trip the volt meter saved my ass by warning me of a dying battery before the idiot light would have. It's easily reversible, like all my period mods.

In American, having coffee in your ride is more important that knowing your oil temperature, unless you are racing.

Is there space to install the gauges in a recessed way so stock wood speaker cover can fit over it?

If yes, Remove speaker cover to drive, and replace when parked or showing the car.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
In American, having coffee in your ride is more important that knowing your oil temperature, unless you are racing.

Is there space to install the gauges in a recessed way so stock wood speaker cover can fit over it?

If yes, Remove speaker cover to drive, and replace when parked or showing the car.
Yes, a friends coupe is like that. Works well. I went a different way because I like the armrest.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here's the photo of the gauges in the center console/armrest/cup holder.
Not only are my gauges in here but my wideband gauge and the control for my subwoofer.
Make Gracie a really clean neat car.

Attachments

• IMG_2942.jpg
    IMG_2942.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 100

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought about doing that, but it involves modifying the back of the speaker cover, something I didn't want to do. I like the gauges on display, and on a road trip the volt meter saved my ass by warning me of a dying battery before the idiot light would have. It's easily reversible, like all my period mods.
Glue a set of small magnets to the back of replica speaker grill cover. Those hold onto the metal gauge mounting panel when you want to hide the gauges . You’d have to get two covers veneered atthe same time with 2 consecutive pieces from the flitch.

I’m will give this a go when I strip my E9 down for paint.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You'll need to remove the posts from the original one which I didn't want to do so a replica would be the way to go. I looked at finding a spare to do this with but then the wood wouldn't match.

Glue a set of small magnets to the back of replica speaker grill cover. Those hold onto the metal gauge mounting panel when you want to hide the gauges . You’d have to get two covers veneered atthe same time with 2 consecutive pieces from the flitch.

I’m will give this a go when I strip my E9 down for paint.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You'll need to remove the posts from the original one which I didn't want to do so a replica would be the way to go. I looked at finding a spare to do this with but then the wood wouldn't match.
I have a spare grill, in fact I think I have 2.
Of to Highlands Motoring Festival.
Drive tomorrow and show Sunday with so many social restrictions they might as well not have it....... but I'm out of the house and a 2.5 hours drive in Gracie. YEAH!!!!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lot’s of opinions flying! I like your setup @m5bb and I can appreciate anyone wanting an armrest. Most people that have them drive the hell out of their e9’s - which is commendable.

My only opinion is that four gauges looks like “too much”. There is something elegant about three gauges, and something cluttered about four. I like data, so I went with four despite the clutter. I also intend to make them easy to remove, and I’m keeping my original console.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Phil Parkeys car has this. And a PO that was big on here built the car. Sorry can't get name out of this senior brain. It will come to me sometime today.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Phil Parkeys car has this. And a PO that was big on here built the car. Sorry can't get name out of this senior brain. It will come to me sometime today.
Steve Bingham. He has the gauges behind the grill. Magnets hold it there when not in use. Sorry no photo.