Fuel Pump - $650 *(*@#!$

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bump it back and forth

If it is jammed with grit, I think the best way to loosen it would be to jog it backwards by reversing polarity very intermittently. Flush with WD40 or similar, use a carefully controlled compressed air blowgun, and cycle back and forth by changing polarity.

Pump probably has a built in check valve for one way direction only, so if you run backwards for more than a brief moment, damage due to cavitation or other might occur.

Remove and get it on a bench so you have better control over this potentially dangerous procedure. You don't want to be stuck underneath your car with petrol, atomized solvents and 12vdc sparks. Safety glasses are always a good idea.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
When I finish my book 'A Trip to the Parts Store' we mechanics of the world will have already understood it's premiss far too well...

"no service is possible for the (whatever)..."
...will certainlly sadly be the beginning of the end for us all...

All in the name of 'progress' and 'consumer product confidence' and ultimately the disallowing of one's ability (as in this case) to actually
fix anything of importance anymore, including on a larger scale such critical issues such as Global warming. etc.

Cheers!

Ran

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Havent waded thru all the postings, but I bought a rebuilt fuel pump that was even the original configuration (which none of the postings I saw were) for around $130 plus your old core from Mesa Performance.

cookbw

Reaction score
The electric fuel pump can't be taken apart/rebuilt as far as I can tell...but squirting in WD-40, a couple solid whacks on the concrete, then cycling back and forth brought it back to life! Thanks Ed G for the tip :-D

cookbw

Reaction score
I had actually already ordered the MSD pump (suggested by M5dCS) and it came in today, but was then able to get my old pump running. Not sure if I should just return the MSD unit but...I tested the flow of the MSD pump versus the original one and it has a MUCH stronger AND smoother output. The original pump output flow was not as steady.

So because of above, I'd be inclined to try the MSD pump if it's safe to use. I noticed it has an operating pressure rating of 40PSI which is a little bit higher than the original equipment (32PSI). Is there any danger in running this higher pressure pump?

johanaxelson

Reaction score
I can't stress this bit enough :

"You should be aware that there is a screen at the bottom of the pickup in the tank that could probably use some attention."

I used to have a 2002 Tii that was running badly and before I found that filter (which was clogged) my Kügelfischer injection broke :(

/Johan

AndyM

Reaction score
I had actually already ordered the MSD pump (suggested by M5dCS) and it came in today, but was then able to get my old pump running. Not sure if I should just return the MSD unit but...I tested the flow of the MSD pump versus the original one and it has a MUCH stronger AND smoother output. The original pump output flow was not as steady.

So because of above, I'd be inclined to try the MSD pump if it's safe to use. I noticed it has an operating pressure rating of 40PSI which is a little bit higher than the original equipment (32PSI). Is there any danger in running this higher pressure pump?

Use the MSD. I'm not sure I would trust that old pump from the sound of it. Unless you are a stickler for originality, the MSD pump will work and will be a significant improvement. The line pressure is controlled by the regulator up by the manifold, so the injectors will see the same pressure regardless of the pump used. The extra fuel just goes back into the tank through the return line. Do check the pick-up screen/filter in the tank.

FWIW, my regulator finally went bad and I'm converting everything over to aftermarket parts using a Walbro pump (similar to your MSD) and an adjustable regulator to get me up to 3 bar. The only reason I'm using a non-stock regulator is to get the higher pressure my injection system needs (it's not D-Jet). I'm also plumbing it with -an fittings and braided lines, but that is overkill.

cookbw

Reaction score
Gas flow from the tank was not constrained when I disconnected the fuel pump, but I will make sure to check the tank screen while I'm mucking around down there. I also decided to add a pre-pump filter with re-usable element and a fuel-shutoff valve - because getting doused with gasoline is not cool. The NPT fittings/shutoff will make cleaning that filter an easy job.

Another thing that came to mind...my idling has been unstable for a while now, with RPMs slowly cycling between 700 - 1200. This behavior is intermittent, probably about 1/2 the time I'm idling. Maybe the new pump will fix this (maybe a pressure regulator?)...or would you suspect something unrelated?

cookbw

Reaction score
Fuel expansion tank?

Looking at fuel-system diagrams in my manual, there is something called the fuel expansion tank that goes between the fuel pump and the fuel filter. I didn't see this expansion tank when I took out the pump/filter. Is there a missing part...or is this expansion tank somehow embedded into the filter?

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
You guys should be sourcing E12 based E24 six series. Those pumps can be bought on EBay for $65 new, non Bosch. I bought a high end German made pump for about $70. The early euro six series use the expansion tank. It is in unit with the bracket for the fuel pump. You should also pull your sending/pickup unit from the tank as the screen on the bottom can get pretty mucked up.

cookbw

Reaction score
Msd 2225

FWIW...the MSD pump seems great so far and it was only $100. Starting and idling are so much better than before. Only complaint with the pump is it's much louder. I can even hear it faintly when idling.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
I am glad you got this resolved for a lot less...bravo...perhaps remounting the pump with a bit of flexible material under it or some sound deadening material will help once you get it broken in...My e24's pump's 'purrring' as it warms up is a comforting sound that i've grown well accustomed to and would miss if it weren't there...

Cheers!

Ran