Fuel Pump - $650 *(*@#!$

cookbw

Reaction score
So my car won't start but turns over fine and is definitely getting a spark. I can't see any leaks or cracks in fuel lines, so I'm assuming I probably need a fuel pump. According mobile-tradition a new is $650!! That seems absurd and I would assume this is not the only car sharing this fuel pump. Anyone have a better/cheaper source for a new pump, or any other suggestions?

Orangener

Reaction score
Injected, has a electric pump :

MTkzMzlfcA==.png

Carburator, has a mechanic pump:

MTkzMjVfcA==.png

chicane

Reaction score
I have noticed a sharp uptick in BMW's OEM parts in the past couple of years. I can't believe that it can all be attributed to inflation.

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Mine was not working when I got my car. I took it apart and cleaned everything inside. I carefully reassembled it (watch the rubber o ring) and it works fine. There is supposed to be a fine screen that fits in the inlet and mine does not have one.
The Bosch part # 0 580 960 007 . Djet was used on VWs and 914 Porsches and should have the same pump. Try using the Bosch part number in some of the parts suppliers search engines.

M5dCS

Reaction score
alternative fuel pump

A viable alternative to Bosch pumps is an American made pump manufactured by MSD and the part# is 2225, these are available thru Jeg's or Summit for just over $100 and that includes shipping. I was turned on to these by another board member and we are both using them on our M5 powered coupes, they also come with nice mounting brackets. Best of Luck, Leroy

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't assume you need one. First check the operation of the fuel pump relay (assuming there is one) by, among other means, powering it with +12V and listening for the click. Then check standalone operation of the fuel pump by directly powering it with +12V. Check for the electric humming buzz (or lack thereof). Avoid sparks near the pump by making the final ground (-) connection well away from the pump.

MMercury

Reaction score
So my car won't start but turns over fine and is definitely getting a spark. I can't see any leaks or cracks in fuel lines, so I'm assuming I probably need a fuel pump.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

You suspect the pump as being the cause of your non-start issue. Have you actually tested it to make sure it isn't something else that is the cause?

Go through the archives. I am certain this or a similar issue has been addressed. Are you getting fuel or not? The simplest thing I can think of is disconnect the fuel feed hose at the filter (near or under battery tray). Disconnect the lead to the coil. Turn key and watch what happens. If you want to save the petrol, just attach an in line fuel pressure gauge and read it. If you have fuel under pressure you can direct your anger toward something other than the pump or the the relay.

Please be careful if you choose to do this taking the appropriate steps to avoid damage to your car, yourself and the homeless guy sleeping under your car. Should you wish to try an alternative keep reading.

Can you hear the pump when you switch on the ignition? How about the accompanying "click" of the relay (under the right rear passenger seat next to the ECU)?

If you have no pressure or the pump is dead silent, examine the pump. Make sure it is getting 12volts (sometimes the wiring is suspect). If you are getting 12Volts and do not have a substitute pump, You can whack the pump with and try to unfreeze the mechanism or remove it, put it on a bench, drench it with a light lubricant or penetrating oil and it it with a 12V source again. You may be surprised that it springs back to life.

If you really need a replacement pump, there are plenty to choose from although you may have to modify the electrical connections, especially if you opt for a newer model.

http://www.hot.ee/bensiinipump/Fuel_Pump_Renovation_1_eng.htm

http://www.lucasinjection.com/_borders/fuelpumps.pdf

Bosch%20996%20starter%20pump1.JPG
Complete-Fuel-System-640.jpg
fuelpump_cutaway.jpg

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pressure after regulator should read 28.4-31.24 PSI. Be careful disconnecting any fuel lines, they can remain under pressure with fuel pump off sometimes for weeks!!!

cookbw

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I tore into it this afternoon and here's what I found:

1) Pump is getting 12V and I do hear the click
2) Disconnected pump outlet hose and cranked the starter - no fuel came out of pump
3) Plenty of gas in tank.
4) Fuel Filter had lots of small gritty stuff in it - probably rust

What shocked me in looking at this today is that the fuel from the tank goes to the fuel pump before going through any filter! Why? Anyhow it doesn't surprise me now that the pump is not working.

Is there any reason not to place an additional filter before the pump? Would this limit fuel-flow capacity?

cookbw

Reaction score
MMercury - It wasnt clear how to really get the pump apart beyond taking out the obvious 4 screws and removing the cap. I suppose I could just spray some WD40 down into it and try again?

MMercury

Reaction score
What shocked me in looking at this today is that the fuel from the tank goes to the fuel pump before going through any filter! Why? Anyhow it doesn't surprise me now that the pump is not working.

Is there any reason not to place an additional filter before the pump? Would this limit fuel-flow capacity?

MMercury - It wasnt clear how to really get the pump apart beyond taking out the obvious 4 screws and removing the cap. I suppose I could just spray some WD40 down into it and try again?

I think you have me confused with Bertocchi regarding the pump disassembly. I haven't torn one down in a long time and can't recall what you are likely to find (or lose) after you pull the cover.

This past year I had another fuel injected car where the pump was suspect. I tried to use a dry spare that had been sitting for years and it would not move. I filled it with auto trans fluid or marvel mystery oil and hit it with 12 volts a few times and it has been working since. From what you described, your pump might still be good except for the debris that may be jamming it and I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't revive it. If you were unsuccessful, why not take it apart? What have you got to lose?

As far as the debris, and running a pre-pump filter, it really shouldn't be necessary but it has been done. You should be aware that there is a screen at the bottom of the pickup in the tank that could probably use some attention. There should have also been a small thimble-sized screen or filter that fits into the pump's inlet fitting (See no. 15 below). You should have noticed it and if not, carefully pull it out and clean it. Unfortunately, from what you describe, you may need to drain and clean your fuel tank or you can expect future problems.

23.png

See fig 2.5 and 2.7 below:

autobooks_manual_035.jpg

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Now that's south of the border ingenuity and resourcefulness, in all its glory..!

Similarly.. I myself was quoted $450 for my e24's heater blower fan assembly yesterday (new Dealer) and today I overhauled it me own self... and it works perfectly...perhaps if we stop crawling to CSi or 2002 three time a month we can then actually afford our house payment due first of the month? (or was it first of last month?)

Could happen!

:mrgreen:

Bien hecho!

cookbw

Reaction score
My pump is electric from the manual in the link "no service is possible for the pump". From what I can tell it's also impossible to disassemble without destroying the pump. Think I can try putting penetrating oil thru it and see if it comes back to life. Otherwise a replacement...just not the $650 type :-D