Five speed conversion on bring a trailer

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, not sure where the comment is coming from on your end. I am just saying it is curious to me why BMW didn’t include it to begin with when so many others were. That’s all. I have no regrets whatsoever about the purchase of my car. I love it. Just curious that’s all. It is coming up now because I saw that listing and bring a trailer and just thought it made sense. Based on all those commentary I honestly don’t know if it is worth the effort. I get is that money can be spent elsewhere. Thanks everyone for your opinions and thoughts and help. I appreciate it. I hope everyone is having an amazing Saturday. I am
Had a great Saturday, Sunday hasn’t been bad either.
As for the 5-speed, it comes down to what kind of driving you do. The 5th forward gear or the “overdrive” gear really settles down the engine so that it isn’t as busy at 80mph. Makes for a more relaxed drive. I highly recommend it.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Had a great Saturday, Sunday hasn’t been bad either.
As for the 5-speed, it comes down to what kind of driving you do. The 5th forward gear or the “overdrive” gear really settles down the engine so that it isn’t as busy at 80mph. Makes for a more relaxed drive. I highly recommend it.
To me the weekend is just two days with names I don’t recall. They run together. Saturday was great and Sunday is turning out to be good as well. I’ve been meaning to wash and wax my E9 but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Hopefully will do so next week. Yes, I agree with your ultimate analysis. The fact is that most of my driving is at most at 65 miles an hour. I rarely drive above that unless I take a road trip which I do periodically. Not sure if those rare road trips are worth the expense and time to get a five speed. Just trying to give myself a little gift and thought it would make sense. Turning my attention now to my cayenne turbo S. Going to get a better sounding muffler that will be throaty but not obnoxious. Thanks All

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
To me the weekend is just two days with names I don’t recall. They run together. Saturday was great and Sunday is turning out to be good as well. I’ve been meaning to wash and wax my E9 but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Hopefully will do so next week. Yes, I agree with your ultimate analysis. The fact is that most of my driving is at most at 65 miles an hour. I rarely drive above that unless I take a road trip which I do periodically. Not sure if those rare road trips are worth the expense and time to get a five speed. Just trying to give myself a little gift and thought it would make sense. Turning my attention now to my cayenne turbo S. Going to get a better sounding muffler that will be throaty but not obnoxious. Thanks All

If I were you… $10K into your interior would add way more value and appeal to your car.

Imagine something custom like cognac! :) Photo for color-only.
58D41FAD-5B2D-45B6-8A9D-C592E74C3A5E.jpeg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you for posting. Do you think this would be ideal for my car? At this price it seems like a no-brainer if all the pieces are there for a five speed conversion

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i love the cognac color.
I could not agree more! Could I redo my interior for $10,000 though? My engine compartment also needs significant cosmetic work
the short answer is MAYBE. if you redo the entire interior (seats, door panels, armrests in leather, you are talking 4 to 6 hides (600 / hide +/- 100 bucks) ... plus the disassembly labor and the fabrication. also depends if you are doing custom work or just a redo. as always, there are people who are really good and in high demand (with e9 experience) and their cost could be 15k. bottom line is you want to see the quality of their work

take a look at the shift knob in the picture above. looks like one made by Elihu (customwoodshiftknobs.com) his work is really good. he makes all kinds of shapes / sizes. he is a member of the e30 m3 special interest group.
1656338415504.png

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that one is 48mm - purpleheart + maple. he has done some in macassar ebony / maple, bubinga / marblewood, katalox / maple, bubinga / maple. these were made for Porsche cars.

this is the ebony / maple and its 52mm.
1656341532860.png

he makes mushroom shapes for 2002 / e9 / e3. different woods and various shapes. this one is bubinga - 46mm wide x 72 mm high. he makes them with / without inserts.
1656341967980.png

this one is walnut

1656342049326.png

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@teahead @sfdon -

I just bought a 265 for my E3. I’m trying to make a definitive list of what I need. It currently has a 4spd man. I see your lists in posts #44, #47 and #49. I’ve read other lists that are similar, but vary a bit. So, @sfdon - Is your longer list definitive? Are all those parts must haves or are some nice to have/redo’s (e.g., powder coat)? Is so, which (or can you point me to a definitive list, if one exists)?

Four more specific question areas:

“Shift platform”. Is this for Auto to 5spd changes or does the position of the shift lever change? Do I then also need a new cover? Are there other mods that are needed? I don’t recall reading that before, but me not remembering something would not be a surprise.
2. @teahead - Do you have that short-shift kit? Assuming that’s a nice to have and isn’t an easy fix for some move/adjustment of something that’s needed (or does it?). I have no issue with the way my 4 spd shifts, I’m not a “racery” as I am with my 2002‘s, so not sure I’d go for it. But, have to ask. Might be cool if it makes a big difference.
3. The Coupe King kit seems to be the mount kit that people are all suggesting. Any others out there worth considering. I only ask because I’ve read many concerns about the vendor here on E9. I’m not commenting on whether they are valid or not, I just don’t know. But, wanted to ask (about options, not the vendor!).
4. Any thoughts on driveshafts? Maybe I buy new and have a local shop set to length? Maybe a drivetrain specific shop can make one to length? I did find an aluminum one online that‘s about $650 where you can specify all components, lengths, etc. Per @sfdon ‘s comment - Not sure I want to hunt down old, pay to modify, balance etc. Wondering what other options are out there.

Thanks all,

Joey

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Joey, in my experience, tagging forum members with the @username convention does not result in them getting any notifications of your post. Readers of your post can click on the @username to get to that person's ID info, however, which is why it turns blue and is underlined. You would need to start a conversation with those members if you want to be sure to reach them vs. waiting for them to run across your post.

Here's a link to the post I made a while back with the shifter platform parts list I got from Carl at La Jolla Independent. Availability and prices have probably changed since then.

I'm contacting the forum admins now to see if the @username situation can be improved.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Truth is Carl is your best source for parts and lists. He can also get you the CK support.
The e3 5 speed conversion uses a driveshaft from an e9 automatic. Have a new one made by Armando in LA

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
3. The Coupe King kit seems to be the mount kit that people are all suggesting. Any others out there worth considering. I only ask because I’ve read many concerns about the vendor here on E9. I’m not commenting on whether they are valid or not, I just don’t know. But, wanted to ask (about options, not the vendor!).
Thanks all,

Joey
FWIW- CoupeKing and CoupeGuy are two wholly different vendors.
Coupeking = AAA+ Fulltime Professional Business
Coupeguy = Lackadaisical Hobbyist

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
@teahead @sfdon -

I just bought a 265 for my E3. I’m trying to make a definitive list of what I need. It currently has a 4spd man. I see your lists in posts #44, #47 and #49. I’ve read other lists that are similar, but vary a bit. So, @sfdon - Is your longer list definitive? Are all those parts must haves or are some nice to have/redo’s (e.g., powder coat)? Is so, which (or can you point me to a definitive list, if one exists)?

“Shift platform”. Is this for Auto to 5spd changes or does the position of the shift lever change? Do I then also need a new cover? Are there other mods that are needed? I don’t recall reading that before, but me not remembering something would not be a surprise.
2. @teahead - Do you have that short-shift kit? Assuming that’s a nice to have and isn’t an easy fix for some move/adjustment of something that’s needed (or does it?). I have no issue with the way my 4 spd shifts, I’m not a “racery” as I am with my 2002‘s, so not sure I’d go for it. But, have to ask. Might be cool if it makes a big difference.
4. Any thoughts on driveshafts? Maybe I buy new and have a local shop set to length? Maybe a drivetrain specific shop can make one to length? I did find an aluminum one online that‘s about $650 where you can specify all components, lengths, etc. Per @sfdon ‘s comment - Not sure I want to hunt down old, pay to modify, balance etc. Wondering what other options are out there.

Thanks all,

Joey
Have you seen this: http://www.e9coupe.com/tech/5speed.html. I used it as the template for my conversion. Obviously, you don't need all of this, but it is very comprehensive and you should be able to strike off this list the items already installed in your car.

As to the shift platform, please post a picture of the one you have, or a link to the Realoem page with your platform on it. It is possible that you may be able to use the platform that you already have, but I don't know because I went from auto to five speed.

If the platform works, you can probably use the shifter you have, although you may need to source a different selector rod. Carl Nelson has cross references to an e21 shifter and a selector rod that works in his 5 speed conversion write up. I have these in my car.

As to the Coupe King mount, I commented on this specifically elsewhere. My comment was something to the effect that "I've tried them all and the Coupe King mount is the best option available." And to my knowledge, the negative comments on this product are that the product is expensive. In my view, that often happens with the best product on the market. You can try either the aluminum or steel BMW mounts used on later vehicles in your swap. The problem is that they place one or both of the mounting bolts very close to the opening in the under body slot that holds the transmission. I, and many others here, felt that this was too risky. Some folks that know how to weld have made up their own fixes for this, and many of these appear to be very good. But most of us can't do this.

Follow Don's advice on the driveshaft.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
@teahead @sfdon -

Thanks all,

Joey
1) I believe you need something like this

2) I purchased (haven't installed it yet) a UUC short shifter and DSSR rod.

3) I've heard of another vendor, but can't find it now. You can always fab a mount. Many on here has done that.

4) Aluminum is nice, but a bit more money. May save 1/2HP at the wheels.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
1. Thanks for all the replies and help. Seems perhaps calling Carl and buying from him is the best route to figuring some of this out.
2. @mulberryworks - Thanks for the heads-up on the non-notification. Fortunately for me, all you helpful and interested folks are following updates and checking in. Thanks.
2. I’ll get the Coupe King mount. I’m looking for best parts available. Going into a 42k mile E3. Not going to cut corners (and am neither equipped or skilled in fabricating or trying to figure out some cheaper route.
3. Regarding the drive shaft - If I need an E9 automatic shaft and find one locally, do I need to send to Armando for a modification if there is a competent driveshaft shop here? I guess my specific question is this - What will Armando need to do to it and is there specific knowledge needed? Or, are you saying he’ll make one (new) to that spec and knows what that is. Again, willing to spend where I need to but am thinking about shipping (back and forth?).
4. Aluminum drive shaft - But, it’s also shiny, right? ;)

Thanks again for or all the help and patience while I try and figure this out.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just Googled Austin Texas Driveshaft Shop and there are lots of options. The e9 auto d/s is recommended only because it is shorter as the auto trans is fairly long but any d/s can be lengthened or shortened.