Five speed conversion on bring a trailer

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you have a 4-speed already, isn't it the case that you could get a very reputable mechanic to do the entire job, parts and labor for $6000? I know @rporsche said the transmissions go for 4 or 5k but I actually didn't think they were that expensive.
I believe that transmission just left Pete’s Gear Shop for a refresh and inspection. Value is 2500.00 or higher.
That driveshaft is from the best shop I have seen. Value is 800.00
The list goes on….
That shift platform is worth 4-500.00 now. Almost unobtainium.
Theres 4000.00 in parts and 1000.00 in experience involved in that package.
Very few people have the knowledge to put it together at that level.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is this a good deal? Someday I plan to convert as I was told it is a good upgrade although I’m not sure if my local mechanic could install it. He said he could but wondering if I should trust him
Funny you mentioned this.......I just saw a bumper sticker that said, "Trust Me, I'm a Mechanic." Old school 70's sticker I think. With Yelp etc. it seems mechanics don't have as shady a reputation as they used to. Not all of them of course but it was easier to for them to get away with stuff back in the day.

I forget you are in Ketchum with probably limited "high end/knowledgable" BMW mechanics and I know Coeur D'Alene is kind of far for you but I have a great mechanic here I can get you in touch with if you can't find anyone closer. Make a road trip out of it. Welcome to stay over and I can take you to Spokane airport the next day (40-min) or same day, whatever, depends how well you travel. I make the airport run once a week to pick up/drop off my wife that travels as a nurse. If interested, call Colby at Inland Northwest Performance. He will be honest if he feels comfortable with the conversion, tell him you know Shane with the Golf Bavaria and what you are expecting and planning on doing. He is very honest and so far I have had nothing but top notch work done. And he specializes in BMW's. Just and idea. I aw the bidding on BaT, my 2 cents is be careful getting too aggressive and listing intensions early as it usually will just end up costing you more in the long run. Again, just my 2 cents, too late now but GLW BUY! Not sure if you know the seller but he is on here and a great guy! ;)

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Funny you mentioned this.......I just saw a bumper sticker that said, "Trust Me, I'm a Mechanic." Old school 70's sticker I think. With Yelp etc. it seems mechanics don't have as shady a reputation as they used to. Not all of them of course but it was easier to for them to get away with stuff back in the day.

I forget you are in Ketchum with probably limited "high end/knowledgable" BMW mechanics and I know Coeur D'Alene is kind of far for you but I have a great mechanic here I can get you in touch with if you can't find anyone closer. Make a road trip out of it. Welcome to stay over and I can take you to Spokane airport the next day (40-min) or same day, whatever, depends how well you travel. I make the airport run once a week to pick up/drop off my wife that travels as a nurse. If interested, call Colby at Inland Northwest Performance. He will be honest if he feels comfortable with the conversion, tell him you know Shane with the Golf Bavaria and what you are expecting and planning on doing. He is very honest and so far I have had nothing but top notch work done. And he specializes in BMW's. Just and idea. I aw the bidding on BaT, my 2 cents is be careful getting too aggressive and listing intensions early as it usually will just end up costing you more in the long run. Again, just my 2 cents, too late now but GLW BUY! Not sure if you know the seller but he is on here and a great guy! ;)
San Francisco is almost as close as that and Bill Arnold takes care of my car there. But thanks much

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, my advice is to have one competent E9 shop put together the package and install it for you. Any time you bring your own used parts of I know condition and I know correctness to a mechanic, you create a second point of failure and the opportunity for finger pointing. Plus, you take away the shops regular income derived from selling parts. If I were a mechanic, I would refuse to use owner parts unless (1) owner signed a waiver for any issues related to wrong parts or part condition (2) I would also charge a “corkage fee” of 20% of the value of the parts.

For example: if SFD would do the conversion for you, soup to nuts, id just pay the man and know that one reputable competent guy will take responsibility for the whole deal.

Remember what happened with your radio project???

John

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
San Francisco is almost as close as that and Bill Arnold takes care of my car there. But thanks much
Bill is awesome....crazy to think his shop is as close as Coeur d'Alene...LOL. People don't realize this is a big state when driving South to North or vice versa. We will be rooting for you on the auction.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, my advice is to have one competent E9 shop put together the package and install it for you. Any time you bring your own used parts of I know condition and I know correctness to a mechanic, you create a second point of failure and the opportunity for finger pointing. Plus, you take away the shops regular income derived from selling parts. If I were a mechanic, I would refuse to use owner parts unless (1) owner signed a waiver for any issues related to wrong parts or part condition (2) I would also charge a “corkage fee” of 20% of the value of the parts.

For example: if SFD would do the conversion for you, soup to nuts, id just pay the man and know that one reputable competent guy will take responsibility for the whole deal.

Remember what happened with your radio project???

John
While in a perfect world, I would agree completely, unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world. Regarding my stereo, yes, the shop in Boise was incompetent, but ultimately I was able to get my stereo working just the way I wanted with a shop in Hailey, Idaho that said they do radios. Cost next to nothing and they were happy to do it even though they didn't make any money on the parts. Regarding my 5 speed conversion, it seems from the comments here that it is not that complicated, and I have a solid mechanic that was able to do some things on my Porsche 964, converting AC, etc., without any issues. He loves working on my older cars. I am happy to pay him a premium since I am providing the parts, if he asked for one.

Yes, I have had lots of issues with getting simple repairs done over the years, but ultimately got it sorted out. Frankly, I think Benny did a great job on my car. IF the consensus here is that this is a complicated job, I will bring the car to Bill Arnold.

I do appreciate the warning, however.

Let me know your thoughts.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well that was quick. Now up to $8k. Not sure if worth it to me as I rarely go on the highway, and when I do, I don't mind the higher revs.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott, my initial thought was this would sell for 8k to 10k if it was an unknown seller. buying from @paul cain means it will sell for more as he is an excellent seller and has impeccable credentials ... and knows e9's inside / out. new guess, between 10k and 12k. i think @sfdon is correct, it will increase the value of your coupe.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, my initial thought was this would sell for 8k to 10k if it was an unknown seller. buying from @paul cain means it will sell for more as he is an excellent seller and has impeccable credentials ... and knows e9's inside / out. new guess, between 10k and 12k. i think @sfdon is correct, it will increase the value of your coupe.
Ok. Thanks for the information. I am willing to pay market, as you help me determine what that is. I know it will increase the value for sure. It would be great if the performance at the low end improved, with the higher gear for 5th if feasible. I don't take many long highway drives, but would be nice. I will sit tight on the auction and revisit when it is ending, but if anyone has alternatives that I should consider with just the parts I need, let me know. Thanks all!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
but if anyone has alternatives that I should consider with just the parts I need, let me know.
Why not pay a knowledgeable E9 expert, who has done the E9 4-5spd upgrade many times, to assemble and ship you a complete conversion kit? Then take that to the new competent local mechanic you found and get it installed.

Advantages:
(1) you get the right stuff from someone who actually has both knowledge AND real hands on experience
(2) you don’t buy stuff you don’t need and need to resell later
(3) you don’t end up in a bidding war with people who pay $7 is ok for a 5spd transmission.

John

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why not pay a knowledgeable E9 expert, who has done the E9 4-5spd upgrade many times, to assemble and ship you a complete conversion kit? Then take that to the new competent local mechanic you found and get it installed.

Advantages:
(1) you get the right stuff from someone who actually has both knowledge AND real hands on experience
(2) you don’t buy stuff you don’t need and need to resell later
(3) you don’t end up in a bidding war with people who pay $7 is ok for a 5spd transmission.

John
Do you know such an expert willing to do that? I am dm'ing @paul cain on this topic now.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I “win” this, and I will, I will not need the following since I have a 4 speed now I am converting, not an automatic. So for those that are converting their auto, let me know if you want these parts.

Well that was quick. Now up to $8k. Not sure if worth it to me as I rarely go on the highway, and when I do, I don't mind the higher revs.

12959AF7-40C0-448D-8466-4655E1AD899F.gif

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I also thought @scottevest you were going to get it... :cool: .

Let me help you with some math to convince senoir management at the other side of the dinner table :
At 8K, it would be about 6 USD per 1 less revolution per minute....
1 revolution / minute means that after doing 60 km's at 120 km/h , one would have saved 120x60x60 = 432.000 revolutions.

Now if you multiply that with the fuel saved due to less revolutions, 432.000x 0.006 cents/km, it becomes clear that one would save 60 euro's worth of fuel, making it pay back itself, even at 10K, in less then 3 months.

#if you can't convince them, confuse them....

(None of the above actually is in line with reality)

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, for $8k I will build you a kit of what you need to change yours from a 4 to 5 speed OD conversion. I will even throw in instructions how to do the job.
I might even pull them from my car, perhaps I will try the dogleg afterwards. .
The first time I did this it was a bit tricky, but now I know what is needed it’s not so hard.
Parts are in the U.K., you pay shipping and any taxes.