Finishing School for a Fjord 3.0 CS / 100 projects to improve a Coupe / Countdown

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here is the update on Project 25 The new guide tube welded in place.

Attachments

• IMG_9169.jpg
    IMG_9169.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 293

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 26 Reinstall the the original tiedown eyelet on to the spare tire well. This spare tire well was replaced during the body restoration. They forgot to install the original tie down. Thanks to W&N, this part is still available.

Attachments

• IMG_9170.jpg
    IMG_9170.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_9171.jpg
    IMG_9171.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 174

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is time to attack the interior. The refinished wood work was poorly done and will be replaced. While disassembling the instrument panel there were more discoveries of the frustrated workmanship on the entire dash. The 'installer' clearly installed the dash panels with the windscreen still in place. Which is a no-no. They forced the upper dash over the defroster vents shattering all four corners. Then they just left it floating and unattached to the four spring clips, sort of like a toupe that is three size too small. Here is the damage to the defroster vents. JB weld to the rescue. This will take about three rounds to reshape all four corners.

The three dash pads are in excellent shape having been reskinned by Just Dashes by the PO. My only complaint with Just Dashes is that the part comes back at 108% of its original size. This becomes extremely problematic when you want to reinstall your windscreen and there is no room for the weatherstripping to pocket over the steel lip. We are going to solve this issue with some more aggressive fastening of the dash to the body.

Attachments

• IMG_9221.jpg
    IMG_9221.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_9222.jpg
    IMG_9222.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_9223.jpg
    IMG_9223.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_9224.jpg
    IMG_9224.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 133

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Today's discovery. We removed the front and rear glass. I knew there was a headliner fit issue on the Pass. Side at the windscreen. I had no idea how bad.

I am a firm believer in saving time, however, leaving the original headliner in place while you install the new headliner is no bueno. This is going to take some trick reworking to get that foam panel to lay flat to reattach the 'new' headliner. I am also a massive fan of the product JB Weld (image 9278). Thousands of uses, except to reattach a headliner.

Restoration work: Three steps forward. One step back. Repeat.

Attachments

• IMG_9275.jpg
    IMG_9275.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_9276.jpg
    IMG_9276.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_9277.jpg
    IMG_9277.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_9278.jpg
    IMG_9278.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 116

Pittraider18

Reaction score
Today's discovery. We removed the front and rear glass. I knew there was a headliner fit issue on the Pass. Side at the windscreen. I had no idea how bad.

I am a firm believer in saving time, however, leaving the original headliner in place while you install the new headliner is no bueno. This is going to take some trick reworking to get that foam panel to lay flat to reattach the 'new' headliner. I am also a massive fan of the product JB Weld (image 9278). Thousands of uses, except to reattach a headliner.

Restoration work: Three steps forward. One step back. Repeat.
This is a new kind of lazy. And I've spent years undoing hacked together Datsuns.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here are the finished defroster vents at various stages of completion. It took two coats of high build primer to get them smooth again. Last photo is the vents installed with the felt faced tape to keep any noises from coming out of the dash. I use this material for all of the mounting surfaces on the entire set of wood panels as well.

Attachments

• IMG_9319.jpg
    IMG_9319.jpg
    596.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9341.jpg
    IMG_9341.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_9288.jpg
    IMG_9288.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9318.jpg
    IMG_9318.jpg
    591.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9339.jpg
    IMG_9339.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9340.jpg
    IMG_9340.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 88

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hellbent to have the dash completely lay down on the body, I abandoned the four spring clips that the factory used. Instead I purchased 4 lag bolts about 3.5 inches long and mounted them in the same location as the original spring clips. See orange arrows. I notched the sqr hex feature that is at the base of the head of the bolt. This allows it to drop in place in the existing small sqr. holes stamped into the dash's steel inner core panel (see image 9291 center) . Then I fabricated four standoff / tubes in brass, soldering on brass washers on both ends. (The two extreme ends of this dash have two holes that are very tight in the corners and it is nearly impossible to start a nut and washer in these tight confines). The brass standoff moves this assembly bolt much lower into an accessible area on the lower edge of the dash. The two center lag bolts are accessible with the speaker removed and with the instrument cluster removed.

Other preparation items involved painting the entire gutter a satin black on the lower edge of the windscreen gasket. Last prep item was to clean up and shorten the forward most edge of the dash panel. JustDashes leaves a long skirt that gets in the way of the windshield gasket installation. So I cut this skirt off and epoxied that edge to give it a rounded feature and to make room for the rope that is used to pull the rubber seal over the metal lip on the body. The lower edge is very difficult with the dash being so close to this stell lip.

Last three pics are the final outcome. The four new long bolts worked great. The dash is installed. For good. As veteran members of the forum will tell you, this is a massive milestone. The remaining 50+ projects on this car are cake walk now that the dash is in place.

Attachments

• IMG_9290 (1).jpg
    IMG_9290 (1).jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_9322.jpg
    IMG_9322.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_9320.jpg
    IMG_9320.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9323.jpg
    IMG_9323.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_9321.jpg
    IMG_9321.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_9292.jpg
    IMG_9292.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9321.jpg
    IMG_9321.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9291.jpg
    IMG_9291.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 90

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project No. 29 replace all of the wood. I purchased a complete set of refinished wood from @TomHom. This is a very high quality kit with an excellent finish using original BMW cores on all the complex pieces. @TomHom does make a replacement speaker grille to the same OEM standard. Having a full replacement set in hand allows for a much faster swap and much less down time. the kit was close to perfect, but there a few small steps I chose to undertake before installing. First was spraying on the original brown paint on the end caps of the door and rear quarter wood. This is to hide the individual laminated edges. Then block sanding the entire set with 600 grit (dry) to apply my own preferred satin finish on all the pieces. These images show the final clearcoat wet before it dried to the satin finish. Reinstallation was straight forward with no fit issues.

Attachments

• IMG_9260 (1).jpg
    IMG_9260 (1).jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9264 (1).jpg
    IMG_9264 (1).jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9266 (1).jpg
    IMG_9266 (1).jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9267 (1).jpg
    IMG_9267 (1).jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9269 (1).jpg
    IMG_9269 (1).jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9259 (2).jpg
    IMG_9259 (2).jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9268 (1).jpg
    IMG_9268 (1).jpg
    367 KB · Views: 68

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 30: rebuild and refresh all of the gauges. The odometer in this car was broken and there was lots of fading of the white arms. I use Gail's Speedometer Service for these straightforward projects. See: https://www.gailspeedo.com/ Mike is the owner. Super fair prices and quick turnaround times. All done via mail in. After they came back, I cleaned off all of the bulb sockets and replaced all 11 bulbs with 4 Watt. vs. the original 2 watt units. Additionally I add an extra ground circuit between the mounting plate, the gauges and the chassis ground. Se center of image 9432. Image 9436 and 9431 shows the final satin finish on the wood. The gauge cluster is back in the dash. Everything works except the green turn indicator bulb which I am still chasing down. It is starting to turn the corner in terms of difficulty. Next is to verify all chassis electrical function(s) before reinstalling the steering column.

Attachments

• IMG_9434.jpg
    IMG_9434.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_9436.jpg
    IMG_9436.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9431.jpg
    IMG_9431.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9432.jpg
    IMG_9432.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9434.jpg
    IMG_9434.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9435 (1).jpg
    IMG_9435 (1).jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 74

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good work!
The second order questions are:
1) Was the clock repaired or already working?
2) Does it keep time?
3) Will the left gauges get internal condensation on cold night drives?

As for the blinker light not working I knew once how things interrelate and fortunately even wrote it:

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good work!
The second order questions are:
1) Was the clock repaired or already working?
2) Does it keep time?
3) Will the left gauges get internal condensation on cold night drives?

As for the blinker light not working I knew once how things interrelate and fortunately even wrote it:
Arde,
1) Yes and Yes, the clock needed the arms repainted in the flat white, the arm positions reset and the unit lubricated. This is a '74 with the first gen. Quartz movement.
2) I can report it is keeping very good time after 96 hours of being powered up.
3) I don't think the gauges will fog over with low temps, they have not done so to date. I live in a reasonably low humidity environment. (except for last week)

Thank you for the link on the hazard functionality. I will dig into it this weekend. Much appreciated.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde,
1) Yes and Yes, the clock needed the arms repainted in the flat white, the arm positions reset and the unit lubricated. This is a '74 with the first gen. Quartz movement.
2) I can report it is keeping very good time after 96 hours of being powered up.
3) I don't think the gauges will fog over with low temps, they have not done so to date. I live in a reasonably low humidity environment. (except for last week)

Thank you for the link on the hazard functionality. I will dig into it this weekend. Much appreciated.
Oh, quartz makes a world of difference...
Mine fogged yesterday, either because I spoke or because it is Aptos...

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 31: Solve the broken lamp for the turn indicators. Symptom: turn indicators (at the four corners) work but the green indicator on the dash never comes on or blinks. Root cause: the original Hella flasher relay is highly sensitive to current flow. This does not get better with over 50 years of aging on the connectors and wiring that now have higher resistance. Solution: replace the Hella relay with an off the shelf modern fully electronic relay (EL-13) that is not sensitive to these resistance issues.

Thanks to @Dan Wood for his original contributions and wiring diagram on converting to the newer electronic flasher assembly. This quickly solved my issue with the turn indicator lamp never coming on. This is a fast and effective solution for $19 for the EL-13 flasher from Autozone. I did not want to create an adaptor harness so I just directly inserted the three pins into the new flasher after removing them from the original mating connector. To mount the flasher I gutted the original Hella enclosure and then ground down the round canister's base into a square. Dry fit it once. Then some JB weld. Looks like a stock flasher, but without the issues.

Full details are at:

The end result is a small victory, but immensely gratifying:
(this is with 4W indicator bulbs installed)

Attachments

• IMG_9454.jpg
    IMG_9454.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9456.jpg
    IMG_9456.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9455.jpg
    IMG_9455.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 56
  • flasher wiring E9.JPG
    flasher wiring E9.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 32: Install a new ignition switch.

Since I purchased this car the starter when from sporadic no-starts to continuous no starts. I had already removed the steering column to do the dash installation. I flipped the column face side down on my workbench and chose to grind out the inner rib in the casting near the switch. This allows you to remove / replace the entire switch assembly without touching the entire tumbler / key assembly. Apologies I did not get photo of the ground rib prior to the installation. You can see the grinding marks in image 9464.

Next, I cut the old wire harness at about 1/2 length, leaving it installed in the car and connected to the back side of the fuse panel. By doing this I don't have to unfasten the fuse panel to swap in the new ignition harness. I then used a 4 pin connector and mated it to the new ignition switch. Now the entire column assembly is a 'drop out' with (3) easily accessible mating connectors. Senior moment: I ended up purchasing two ignition switches by mistake, if anyone is interested, image 9463 is available for $85 plus shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_9464.jpg
    IMG_9464.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9461.jpg
    IMG_9461.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9462.jpg
    IMG_9462.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9463.jpg
    IMG_9463.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 106

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Through the generosity of @Stevehose, I had panic purchased this original Butler Map Light for the Patricia Mayer project. I ended up with two, Steve's was the better of the two (NOS and still in the box). I kept it on the 'private reserve' shelf in my garage, waiting for another worthy project. That day has arrived. It goes in tomorrow as Project 33.

I have been breaking the hose rule of "one project at a time'' for about 4 months. I bought a Tii project and got caught up in a massive polishing and Cerikote project with
@Mike Pelly. Here are the combined parts minutes before the first coat of ceramic clear.

Attachments

• IMG_9478.jpg
    IMG_9478.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_9480.jpg
    IMG_9480.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 116

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Finally, 100 very small steps culminates with having the dash completely reinstalled. Steering column reinstalled with new wiring. Butler lamp installed.

Attachments

• IMG_9487 (1).jpg
    IMG_9487 (1).jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 95

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 35 Replace battery cable with a mix of old jacketing and a new, correct bmw cable / clamp assembly.
Project 36 Replace missing bulkhead drain tubes
Project 37 Rebuild brakes including new master cylinder
Tip: When reinstalling the new master cylinder, leave it loose, while you are starting the threads on each of the (5) brake lines. Start with the most difficult to access, the ones at the bottom. You can now wiggle the master cylinder and find that 'sweet spot' where the threads start correctly and thread in without binding. Once all 5 are threaded down, then fasten the cylinder to the booster canister.

Attachments

• IMG_9491.jpg
    IMG_9491.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9494.jpg
    IMG_9494.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9493.jpg
    IMG_9493.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 62