Finishing School for a Fjord 3.0 CS / 100 projects to improve a Coupe / Countdown

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tonight's quiz: what is wrong with this picture?

Attachments

• IMG_8888.jpg
    IMG_8888.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 194

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 20 rebuilt the brakes.
Front suspension is about 95% complete. What is still on the punch list is torquing fasteners, bleeding brakes and refitting the correct strut bolts for the safety wire. These are the new W&N front calipers. As I understand these are made in China. So far so good in terms of fit. Wheel bearings and front seals were replaced along with the soft OEM style brake rubber lines.

Attachments

• IMG_8933.jpg
    IMG_8933.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_8932.jpg
    IMG_8932.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8931.jpg
    IMG_8931.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8930 (1).jpg
    IMG_8930 (1).jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_8928.jpg
    IMG_8928.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_8925.jpg
    IMG_8925.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_8925.jpg
    IMG_8925.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Project 14 is to recreate the overspray of the body color on the undercarriage. Yes, there is minimum masking and protection, but this detail gun puts out only a small pattern and volume. Its very controllable. Going for that hurried Turkish worker look at the Karmann factory. The last jpg is simply the before surface. Same technique was used on the trailing edge of the front fender wells.

I love that your approach to body restoration goes all the way to recreating the evidence of hurried assembly line workers. I wonder of there's a word in German that roughly means "strive for perfection and then go back and throw in some flaws for the sake of authenticity"?

Thanks again for taking us on another wonderful journey.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Project 20 rebuilt the brakes.
Front suspension is about 95% complete. What is still on the punch list is torquing fasteners, bleeding brakes and refitting the correct strut bolts for the safety wire. These are the new W&N front calipers. As I understand these are made in China. So far so good in terms of fit. Wheel bearings and front seals were replaced along with the soft OEM style brake rubber lines.
Paul--What model brake pads are installed in the W&N front calipers? I have them on my car and the EBC pads that were in my old calipers with 12K miles on them just barely fit in the W&N calipers w/o the anti squeal plates.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Paul--What model brake pads are installed in the W&N front calipers? I have them on my car and the EBC pads that were in my old calipers with 12K miles on them just barely fit in the W&N calipers w/o the anti squeal plates.
Drew,As I recall they are ATE brand. If they don't fit I don't hesitate grinding off the offending edges until they do.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I installed the E-Brake handle rebuild kit yesterday. It works OK, but I don't know who the nut job it was that came with this solution! I'd like to have a few words with him about the horribly difficult sequence in reassembly.

Attachments

• e brake.JPG
    e brake.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8944.jpg
    IMG_8944.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 87

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Uhhh, maybe? I had a long chat with myself during the installation.......W.T.F.! What a twisted soul would come up with this assembly sequence? You really need 4 hands while you are sliding it into place. I am surprised I haven't received more hate mail. A major rewrite of the installation instructions is on order.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 25: Fabricate a new guide tube for the hood latch cable. Somehow the guide tube for hood latch cable went missing. Very strange. Here is the replacement guide tube that we are going to weld in. This will be before we reinstall the hex pad material on the top of the inner fenders.

Attachments

• IMG_9051.jpg
    IMG_9051.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 121

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I installed the E-Brake handle rebuild kit yesterday. It works OK, but I don't know who the nut job it was that came with this solution! I'd like to have a few words with him about the horribly difficult sequence in reassembly.
I recall DQ has an improved version of your invention, but I forget the details.

oldcoupe

Reaction score
Glad to hear an authority is looking at the E-brake cable:

"Next up is anchoring the E- brake cable with a custom bracket, otherwise it is too contorted"

My E3 had, and my E28 has, a really good E-brake. When the E9 is identical to the E3, and similar to the E28, why is the E-brake so inferior? Done the bolt and thrust washers conversion for the pivot, and had close-fitting washers welded to the mount to take out the wear in the too-thin metal.

Had the E9 on the hoist a couple of weeks ago and freed up the contorted brake cable, moving both crossmember hanging points to where the cable wanted to lie. Only had to drill one hole for the LHS, as there was already one in the right place on the RHS. As you'll see in the photo, the cable is determined to sit against the swaybar bolt, so I'll make up a bracket to locate it there
Handbrake.JPG
and prevent it rubbing. That alignment has freed up about 5mm of cable at the brake handle.

oldcoupe

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that - I'll be copying those E-brake cable locators.
Mine will never approach Paul's standard, but underneath the dirt it's unrusted, really!

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that - I'll be copying those E-brake cable locators.
Mine will never approach Paul's standard, but underneath the dirt it's unrusted, really!
@oldcoupe to the contrary you undercarriage is bone dry and totally unmolested. It is the rare survivor. Thanks for sharing.