Engine rebuild and engine bay resto thread - 2240284 '72 CS

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Got a 3-core also and the fan was very close, so I put some spacers between the fan and the coupling, moving the fan back a few mm which made enough difference on mine.
My plan is to use one of Don’s radiators and attach the AC fan to the front with no fan on the interior. I’m not putting back the AC and it’s a pretty good fan. But you know what they say, no plans survives contact with the enemy!

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Old school alignment to adjust the ridiculous toe-in after the suspension and subframe work. The steering was notchy and skiddish and not good to drive on. This cured that condition and will hold me till I get it aligned for reals next week.

View attachment 175874
Neighbourhood will just not be the same once the "E9 car guy next door/across the street/down the road" gets finished with his project! Should be a block party thrown in your honour on that day, Steve. ;) Looking awesome! Mike

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Neighbourhood will just not be the same once the "E9 car guy next door/across the street/down the road" gets finished with his project! Should be a block party thrown in your honour on that day, Steve. ;) Looking awesome! Mike
Hah so true-the neighborhood gossip/rumor mill is all abuzz about a sighting of the car moving under its own power :D

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
My plan is to use one of Don’s radiators and attach the AC fan to the front with no fan on the interior. I’m not putting back the AC and it’s a pretty good fan. But you know what they say, no plans survives contact with the enemy!
If you are going with a pusher fan on the front of the radiator, I suggest you change to a SPAL. They push a lot more air. Here is a link to the one I used.

Note too that you can replace the fan on the engine side of the radiator with a puller fan from SPAL mounted directly on the radiator. I did this on my e39 540i6.

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
thanks, will consider both options. I use a puller on the 2002 and it does work.
Yes, but the stock fan is sized to merely be an add on to the engine fan. I would go with a bigger fan if that were my only one.

Also, I presume you know that there is a big market here for a/c parts for a coupe. It would be well worth your while if you don't want a/c in your car to pull the a/c parts and sell them.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, but the stock fan is sized to merely be an add on to the engine fan. I would go with a bigger fan if that were my only one.

Also, I presume you know that there is a big market here for a/c parts for a coupe. It would be well worth your while if you don't want a/c in your car to pull the a/c parts and sell them.
I have all the switches and everything I took off

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have all the switches and everything I took off
More modern compressors and condensors and fans are easy to find. And its also possible to have lines made up, and to retrofit relays from newer cars. But in addition to the switches/controls, the console and a/c dash panel, along with the evaporator and fan are specific to the e9 and are pretty highly sought after.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bumper on, new rubber, headlights, grilles, and driving lights back on. Starting to look like a car again.

IMG_4982.jpeg

Hood is cleaned, will cavity wax it then paint the underside and install. I have 225 miles on the engine, so far so good. No oil leaks other than the valve cover gasket but took care of that.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Be careful not to use too much cavity wax. When mine was first done, I lifted the hood after a long drive and the hood was still hot from the engine heat. It ran down (dripped)
onto the front grille and was visible at all the sandwich panel openings.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Be careful not to use too much cavity wax. When mine was first done, I lifted the hood after a long drive and the hood was still hot from the engine heat. It ran down (dripped)
onto the front grille and was visible at all the sandwich panel openings.
Awesome, you just talked me out of doing this - thanks!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
In Canada our most popular forms of rustproofing are Krown and Rust Check. These use a very light oil to mist internal panels.Applied as a fog inside doors, etc. I have been doing my daily driver cars for 30+ years. Not too many high mile 07 Subarus left that have minimal rust (only windshield pillar really and damaged left fender) Car has 345,000km.and is coated is salt spray all winter. (Spring is when they rust).
Front end looks awseome Steve!

Barry.b

Reaction score
Old school alignment to adjust the ridiculous toe-in after the suspension and subframe work. The steering was notchy and skiddish and not good to drive on. This cured that condition and will hold me till I get it aligned for reals next week.

View attachment 175874
The quality of the work you have done is amazing .
Well done !!!
Is it just me , but it seems a shame to have to hide it all with the hood .
It looks too nice as it is :)

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
In Canada our most popular forms of rustproofing are Krown and Rust Check. These use a very light oil to mist internal panels.Applied as a fog inside doors, etc. I have been doing my daily driver cars for 30+ years. Not too many high mile 07 Subarus left that have minimal rust (only windshield pillar really and damaged left fender) Car has 345,000km.and is coated is salt spray all winter. (Spring is when they rust).
Front end looks awseome Steve!

Sounds similar to Fluid Film that I have been using successfully inside the doors and rocker/sills.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds similar to Fluid Film that I have been using successfully inside the doors and rocker/sills.
I have a can of fluid film and use it to coat stuff. I believe on it's own it offers superior protection than the two brands I mentioned. I think the way the one I suggest is applied has a benefit for hard to reach areas in that it is blasted into sealed areas as a cloud/mist and seeps into crevices really well when applied by the mfg with their equipment. Steve'e underhood is so aesthetically pleasing that it would be a shame to ulgify it with excessive rust protection. I'm sure it will be spotless from here on under his ownership.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
More modern compressors and condensors and fans are easy to find. And its also possible to have lines made up, and to retrofit relays from newer cars. But in addition to the switches/controls, the console and a/c dash panel, along with the evaporator and fan are specific to the e9 and are pretty highly sought after.
I’m gonna be rich

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seriously if anyone needs anything, let me know.