E46 front suspension and E28 rear subframe retrofit

norcal-bav

Site Donor
Reaction score
Finally got around to installing the rear swaybar. Made a simple bracket that bolts to the trunk floor pan. I would have liked to weld this on, but the passenger side is inches away from the gas tank. Using angle iron and bolting to the side and bottom of the floor pan should be plenty strong. I added plates on the inside of the trunk to sandwich the sheet metal, it’s fairly thin there. I went with an uuc 22mm swaybar. It’s very noticeable, but feels solid.

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpeg
    IMG_0089.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0091.jpeg
    IMG_0091.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 74

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Finally got around to installing the rear swaybar. Made a simple bracket that bolts to the trunk floor pan. I would have liked to weld this on, but the passenger side is inches away from the gas tank. Using angle iron and bolting to the side and bottom of the floor pan should be plenty strong. I added plates on the inside of the trunk to sandwich the sheet metal, it’s fairly thin there. I went with an uuc 22mm swaybar. It’s very noticeable, but feels solid.
Very professional!

norcal-bav

Site Donor
Reaction score
Little update, the car has been fantastic. Have been doing monthly rally events.(Not timed, just brisk driving in a big group)

The new suspension has been amazing. I’ve only changed out the front springs for a softer and supposedly higher quality set. That’s been a big improvement in ride quality. The originals were spec’d for an E46 which is a decent amount heavier than an E3.(I think they were overpowering the damping ability of the shocks)

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpeg
    IMG_0257.jpeg
    795.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0265.jpeg
    IMG_0265.jpeg
    930.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0125.jpeg
    IMG_0125.jpeg
    864.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0126.jpeg
    IMG_0126.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 43

rblongboarder

Reaction score
Little update, the car has been fantastic. Have been doing monthly rally events.(Not timed, just brisk driving in a big group)

The new suspension has been amazing. I’ve only changed out the front springs for a softer and supposedly higher quality set. That’s been a big improvement in ride quality. The originals were spec’d for an E46 which is a decent amount heavier than an E3.(I think they were overpowering the damping ability of the shocks)

That's fantastic... serious "mission assurance" after doing all your own welding!

I seem to recall you had the front bumper on during 2023 Laguna Seca when Tim and I stopped by your campsite? The car looks really cool with the front bumper removed. Have you considered putting the bumper on and simply deleting the bumperettes? [IMHO, they seem to be the most visually jarring part of the vehicle.] I ask, because your rear bumper doesn't have the bumperettes...

norcal-bav

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's fantastic... serious "mission assurance" after doing all your own welding!

I seem to recall you had the front bumper on during 2023 Laguna Seca when Tim and I stopped by your campsite? The car looks really cool with the front bumper removed. Have you considered putting the bumper on and simply deleting the bumperettes? [IMHO, they seem to be the most visually jarring part of the vehicle.] I ask, because your rear bumper doesn't have the bumperettes...
Hey, yes indeed, it’s been great, no problems with any of the new changes. I’m a hacky welder for sure. But, I did the engine swap just over 10 years ago with lots of welding that hasn’t failed. (Fingers crossed)

I haven’t had the front bumper on it in a while. I’m not sure I’ve seen a front bumper without the bumperettes honestly.