CSL Value

Malc

Reaction score
All teasing aside..
Guide prices in the UK for CSL (May 2009)
£15,000 for very good, not concours
£8000 for average car, street legal but would need work to get to above value.
£3500 for car that's all there but need a rebuild, might not be street legal

UK market is probably a reasonable guide, though numbers of RHD cars were limited.

I suspect a very good example, preferably not "city packed" would go for more.

Funnily enough a top condition Csi is guide priced at £8000 but I have seen them selling for anywhere between £5000 to £14000.
There is a basket case CSL, and 2 CS on UK Ebay at the moment. Even further gone than my old bucket!

Malc

Reaction score
All teasing aside..
Guide prices in the UK for CSL (May 2009)
£15,000 for very good, not concours
£8000 for average car, street legal but would need work to get to above value.
£3500 for car that's all there but need a rebuild, might not be street legal

UK market is probably a reasonable guide, though numbers of RHD cars were limited.

I suspect a very good example, preferably not "city packed" would go for more.

Funnily enough a top condition Csi is guide priced at £8000 but I have seen them selling for anywhere between £5000 to £14000.
There is a basket case CSL, and 2 CS on UK Ebay at the moment. Even further gone than my old bucket!

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well if it was for sale in Europe I'd say it would be worth every cent of 65k euro.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well if it was for sale in Europe I'd say it would be worth every cent of 65k euro.

pinstripe

Reaction score
Interesting discussion. I've posted as " new member needs help/advice " and only received one helpful reply. Current (may 9) NADA suggests average $45.7K. As the original owner of a '73 bare metal restoration, I would think complete providence from date of manufacture,every receipt, and original registration would add value.Perhaps some of you would be kind enough to check out my post?I will continue to try finding a way to post photos.

Cheers, Pinstripe

pinstripe

Reaction score
Interesting discussion. I've posted as " new member needs help/advice " and only received one helpful reply. Current (may 9) NADA suggests average $45.7K. As the original owner of a '73 bare metal restoration, I would think complete providence from date of manufacture,every receipt, and original registration would add value.Perhaps some of you would be kind enough to check out my post?I will continue to try finding a way to post photos.

Cheers, Pinstripe

eastsideM3

Reaction score
pinstripe said:

Cheers, Pinstripe

Very difficult to assign values. So many sub categories of coupes starting at the top with: Alpina, second series bats, first series bats, carb CSL's, early injected CSL's and so on. Little to no documentation from BMW as to how the cars were optioned.
Most cars have been altered or are missing key components that make them special. That depreciates value greatly in my opinion, considering the cost and availibility of original parts. Of course solid documentation and history adds to value, but not nearly as much as originality depreciates it.
Sales prices are all over the board depending on these factors. Unless you know the details of each car, its very hard to determine a market for the cars, especially considering their rarity, and most are traded privately and not on the main stage of the collector car market.
As Im sure you already know the dollar amount youve spent on restoration doesnt determine the value of your car.
Kind of have to talk to people who have sold their cars and what they were, to figure out what is a fair price.

eastsideM3

Reaction score
pinstripe said:

Cheers, Pinstripe

Very difficult to assign values. So many sub categories of coupes starting at the top with: Alpina, second series bats, first series bats, carb CSL's, early injected CSL's and so on. Little to no documentation from BMW as to how the cars were optioned.
Most cars have been altered or are missing key components that make them special. That depreciates value greatly in my opinion, considering the cost and availibility of original parts. Of course solid documentation and history adds to value, but not nearly as much as originality depreciates it.
Sales prices are all over the board depending on these factors. Unless you know the details of each car, its very hard to determine a market for the cars, especially considering their rarity, and most are traded privately and not on the main stage of the collector car market.
As Im sure you already know the dollar amount youve spent on restoration doesnt determine the value of your car.
Kind of have to talk to people who have sold their cars and what they were, to figure out what is a fair price.

DJSimca

Reaction score
The Bat you are looking to buy is that the one from the Netherlands? If it is pls. study the pictures carefully ... there are expensive parts missing (door seals among others) also that car is missing the wind splits for some reason. And worryingly the seller can't provide any pictures of the car during restauration.

In Europe there are a number of CSL's (mostly series 2) but occationally also real Bats for sale at 'enormous' amounts of money. The cars don't sell however. Most of the Bat owners are testing the market, the cars are not really for sale (i know this from first hand experience).

If you follow the CSL market in mainland Europe you will see that series 2 CSLs offered at 60+ keur and Bats offered at 80+ keur don't sell. A German dealer for almost a year tried to sell the last Bat ever produced, but has now taken the car off the market - mind you he was asking 125keur :roll:

Ultimately a CSL costs whatever the buyer is willing to pay! :p

DJSimca

Reaction score
The Bat you are looking to buy is that the one from the Netherlands? If it is pls. study the pictures carefully ... there are expensive parts missing (door seals among others) also that car is missing the wind splits for some reason. And worryingly the seller can't provide any pictures of the car during restauration.

In Europe there are a number of CSL's (mostly series 2) but occationally also real Bats for sale at 'enormous' amounts of money. The cars don't sell however. Most of the Bat owners are testing the market, the cars are not really for sale (i know this from first hand experience).

If you follow the CSL market in mainland Europe you will see that series 2 CSLs offered at 60+ keur and Bats offered at 80+ keur don't sell. A German dealer for almost a year tried to sell the last Bat ever produced, but has now taken the car off the market - mind you he was asking 125keur :roll:

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Roger,

I can settle the matter on your CSL's value. It is worth exactly $4,000. Where can I send the check?

I'll throw in two used rat terriers and a low mileage (to the best of my knowledge)) teenage girl as well if you are hesitant.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Roger,

I can settle the matter on your CSL's value. It is worth exactly $4,000. Where can I send the check?

I'll throw in two used rat terriers and a low mileage (to the best of my knowledge)) teenage girl as well if you are hesitant.

schnell540

Reaction score
DJSimca said:

My guess is that a very good CSL could fetch 30-50 keur (in mainland Europe) while a very good Bat might fetch up to 65 keur or more. If the car has a special history or famous previous owner, then the price can be 'anything'.

Assuming it is the same (white) series 2 Bat CSL that was just offered to me for 90k euros, I second the caution advised here. I don't know if you have dealt with the seller before, but I have and while he is not a scammer in my experience, his prices are top, top, top shelf. A little trip to Amsterdam (and wherever in Holland the car is located) might be in order (and if you need someone to go with you).....

Or, if you wish, I can suggest some 3rd parties to check it out for you. I lived there for a short while and also imported my touriong from there. If you're interested, shoot me an email at schnell540 at yahoo dot com.

schnell540

Reaction score
DJSimca said:

My guess is that a very good CSL could fetch 30-50 keur (in mainland Europe) while a very good Bat might fetch up to 65 keur or more. If the car has a special history or famous previous owner, then the price can be 'anything'.

Assuming it is the same (white) series 2 Bat CSL that was just offered to me for 90k euros, I second the caution advised here. I don't know if you have dealt with the seller before, but I have and while he is not a scammer in my experience, his prices are top, top, top shelf. A little trip to Amsterdam (and wherever in Holland the car is located) might be in order (and if you need someone to go with you).....

Or, if you wish, I can suggest some 3rd parties to check it out for you. I lived there for a short while and also imported my touriong from there. If you're interested, shoot me an email at schnell540 at yahoo dot com.