CSL Value

chicane

Reaction score

chicane

Reaction score

acat2002

Reaction score
First of all, what a gorgeous car!

Without getting into dollar amounts, I think you could a wide variance depending upon how quickly you may need to move on the deal, right?

I recently heard someone say that there are three (general) types of car sellers in the collector world:

1) those who have no idea what the car is worth and ask/take too little;

2) those who know what the car is worth and ask a reasonable price, market it properly and let the "market" sort out the price, and;

3) those who know what their car is worth, have little intent on moving the car unless some sucker comes along with deep pockets.

I say there's a 4th type: one that has a dillisional value in their head and sets the price way over what reality suggests.

I'm just speculating that based on the caliber of car you own, you probably have a pretty good idea what you have and its simply a matter of fine-tuning the number and putting it out there. Definately not suggesting that you fit into any of the aforementioned categories :)

Your car looks like it is of the caliber that may attract the interest of some real global consigners (such as Fiskins). You may have to take a hit off the top to get hooked up with the right buyer, but I'm guessing that these guys have a short list of people who want exactly what you have....and will pay you properly for it. Too nice for eBay and CL that's for sure.

I know your question wasn't "how should I market this car", but the two are sort of interrelated in my mind.

acat2002

Reaction score
First of all, what a gorgeous car!

Without getting into dollar amounts, I think you could a wide variance depending upon how quickly you may need to move on the deal, right?

I recently heard someone say that there are three (general) types of car sellers in the collector world:

1) those who have no idea what the car is worth and ask/take too little;

2) those who know what the car is worth and ask a reasonable price, market it properly and let the "market" sort out the price, and;

3) those who know what their car is worth, have little intent on moving the car unless some sucker comes along with deep pockets.

I say there's a 4th type: one that has a dillisional value in their head and sets the price way over what reality suggests.

I'm just speculating that based on the caliber of car you own, you probably have a pretty good idea what you have and its simply a matter of fine-tuning the number and putting it out there. Definately not suggesting that you fit into any of the aforementioned categories :)

Your car looks like it is of the caliber that may attract the interest of some real global consigners (such as Fiskins). You may have to take a hit off the top to get hooked up with the right buyer, but I'm guessing that these guys have a short list of people who want exactly what you have....and will pay you properly for it. Too nice for eBay and CL that's for sure.

I know your question wasn't "how should I market this car", but the two are sort of interrelated in my mind.

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Can I be the anorack here?

That sure is a beautiful CSL. Though I couldn´t help but notice that the sticker for tire pressures has at least two typos on the german side.

To get back on topic, replacing it with a proper one (available at W&N) instead of a chinese reprint will certainly increase the value by at least, oh lets say 1/1000th....

:lol:

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Can I be the anorack here?

That sure is a beautiful CSL. Though I couldn´t help but notice that the sticker for tire pressures has at least two typos on the german side.

To get back on topic, replacing it with a proper one (available at W&N) instead of a chinese reprint will certainly increase the value by at least, oh lets say 1/1000th....

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Hi Roger!

I was a little bit to quick. I thought you already had bought the car.

Cheers

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Hi Roger!

I was a little bit to quick. I thought you already had bought the car.

Cheers

Orangener

Reaction score
8euro.jpg

RogerB

Reaction score
Re: Can I be the anorack here?

Tierfreund said:

Thanks for the compliment!

I have been beaten up on the this board before for the stickers, but the car still drives and rides the same! {:>) Also, I don't read or write German, so it is not a great hindrance to me at present. I will try to please all of you sometime in the future by replacing them. They were on the car when I bought it, so I don't know their origin.

Now that I have taken my beating on the stickers AGAIN, what can I reasonably expect to get for the car in today's market should I decide to sell it? Of course, I would expect to discount it by 20 Euros for the stickers that devalue it so greatly. {:>)

Despite those awful stickers, it did win the award for "The Coolest" of over 200 vintage BMWs at Vinyage at the Vineyards in NC last year about this time of year; and it was obviously chosen by conceptcarz.com to represent CSLs?!!?!? I also have the ownership chain from day one.

The car is not for sale unless I am able to consummate a deal for the Bat. I am simply trying to determine if it will be feasible for me to pursue this purchase.

RogerB :lol:

RogerB

Reaction score
Re: Can I be the anorack here?

Tierfreund said:

Thanks for the compliment!

I have been beaten up on the this board before for the stickers, but the car still drives and rides the same! {:>) Also, I don't read or write German, so it is not a great hindrance to me at present. I will try to please all of you sometime in the future by replacing them. They were on the car when I bought it, so I don't know their origin.

Now that I have taken my beating on the stickers AGAIN, what can I reasonably expect to get for the car in today's market should I decide to sell it? Of course, I would expect to discount it by 20 Euros for the stickers that devalue it so greatly. {:>)

Despite those awful stickers, it did win the award for "The Coolest" of over 200 vintage BMWs at Vinyage at the Vineyards in NC last year about this time of year; and it was obviously chosen by conceptcarz.com to represent CSLs?!!?!? I also have the ownership chain from day one.

The car is not for sale unless I am able to consummate a deal for the Bat. I am simply trying to determine if it will be feasible for me to pursue this purchase.

RogerB :lol:

chicane

Reaction score
Pictures only show so much, we need a little more info such as:
1. Mileage
2. Originality
3. History
4. Matching #'s
5 Rust?

chicane

Reaction score
Pictures only show so much, we need a little more info such as: