CSL.....It’s a small world

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Classic and sports car Feb 2018 edition ...

They have a article on buying a bmw E9.

I owned that car 10/11yrs ago, insurance wrote it off, beyond economical repair

Glad to see it has been saved and repaired .

It was red , now it’s blue ...

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Will have to pick a copy up. I'd quite like to see the "where to look for rust" bit. I imagine it'd just be one sentence that says "Everywhere."

roundel

Reaction score
I bought this CSL from Copart some years ago, the rear of the car was flattened almost to the rear screen. I sold it and heard the new owner was restoring it. Alex.

Simufly

Reaction score
I bought this CSL from Copart some years ago, the rear of the car was flattened almost to the rear screen. I sold it and heard the new owner was restoring it. Alex.
Intresting the new owner says "minor damage at the rear!" Perhaps he has been watching the Churchill (UK) tv ad!

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Your right about the rear end ...the car was in a bad bad way... the other driver was doing serious speed, when he decided to use my Csl as his brakes , to stop!!!

The insurance company told me it was going to be sold as a parts car only??
The insurance repair cost was over 15k!!!

Glad to see it was saved and back on the road ..
I hope the rear end repair has been done corrrectly ?!!!
New owner changed the colour from red to blue !!!

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Classic and sports car Feb 2018 edition ...

They have a article on buying a bmw E9.

I owned that car 10/11yrs ago, insurance wrote it off, beyond economical repair

Glad to see it has been saved and repaired .

It was red , now it’s blue ...
I dont think that mag is available here. Can you scan the article and post it here?

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
28DF7458-BEBB-4180-A8B8-DFFD039426B8.jpeg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
"A five-speed Getrag was a rare option." Really? Didn't know it was even an option?

Should have also mentioned floor boards for potential rust spots. And problematic power windows.

Also more differences between say a 2800CS and a 3.0 (compression, disk brakes, seat belts, instrument panel graphics, seat mechanisms, etc). And difference between 1974+ w/that of the earlier models (seat pattern, blinker lever swap, power window relays, grille).

Good article though.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
"A five-speed Getrag was a rare option." Really? Didn't know it was even an option?

Should have also mentioned floor boards for potential rust spots. And problematic power windows.

Also more differences between say a 2800CS and a 3.0 (compression, disk brakes, seat belts, instrument panel graphics, seat mechanisms, etc). And difference between 1974+ w/that of the earlier models (seat pattern, blinker lever swap, power window relays, grille).

Good article though.

I look for “directionally correct” from articles written by auto authors. I don’t expect NYT level investigation into the history or options list. Any article that introduces new folks to the wonders of the e9 is a good one in my book.

With that said. I’m pretty sure that the e9 ran through at least part of 1975 and the e24 didn’t start until 1976. :)