CSL gets a refresh!

Polariscsl

Reaction score
Hi all, really excited to share a picture of my newly built Lester Owen engine it will be a few weeks before I run it in the car but here it is!! I've been working on this for months.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359116543.026712.jpg

And

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359116611.921175.jpg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks very nice. Can you give some info on the build and what it is putting down on the Dyno?

Polariscsl

Reaction score
Thanks no problem.

The main point to emphasize with this engine is blueprinting - it was initially thoroughly checked and unfortunately many of the parts didn't meet the standards (very high) necessary for The builder to be happy with it. This despite it being rebuilt when the car was restored 5000 miles ago (another lesson learned!)
Given we were now getting serious I said we'll it would be nice for it to make a little more power as long as it ran/ idled and behaved like an original. We discussed Alpina B2's and aimed for that.
It has remained a 3.0 for two reasons,
1) I think a 3.0 CSL should have a 3.0 engine in it and
2) they agreed with number 1!

We ended up with:
- pistons at 11.25:1 actual compression set out the top of the block.
-redesigned and cnc machined combustion chambers
- new valves, guides, cnc rockers
- ported inlet and matched manifolds
- custom cam giving more lift (circa 10mm) at the valve than those currently available from schrick for the road.
- modified oil pump
- lighter flywheel and clutch
- new crank and shells (old one was deemed ok but not perfect for this case)
- fully rebuilt and checked 45's not sure on final chokes but they started with 38's on the dyno.
- all other parts replaced with genuine BMW ones.
- it is currently awaiting a new manifold as fritz bits one i had is absolutely rubbish for power. This is being designed and built in two weeks time so hopefully power figures are likely to change slightly for the better.

Nevertheless it made an amazing 261bhp at 6100 with 250ft lbs of torque. The amazing fact is that it makes the standard 200bhp at a little over 3000rpm!!.
The engine starts on the button, takes full throttle from a standard idle and has a near perfect lambda at all rpm's - I can't wait for the weather to improve!

Once the new exhaust is on and we have retuned for that I will post any final changes.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, that is impressive. If there are more dyno runs planned, please post a video. I'd love to hear that.

Polariscsl

Reaction score
For the end product and amount of hours involved, the right amount - but it was admittedly bloody expensive.

Aussie3.0CS

Reaction score
Hi
I note your lack of enthusiasm for the fritz bits exhaust manifold. I would be interested to hear about your solution.... I found sourcing some bits (such as the exhaust manifold) a little hard due to the RHD issue....

Cheers

Chris
Aussie3.0CS

Polariscsl

Reaction score
Hi
I note your lack of enthusiasm for the fritz bits exhaust manifold. I would be interested to hear about your solution.... I found sourcing some bits (such as the exhaust manifold) a little hard due to the RHD issue....

Cheers

Chris
Aussie3.0CS

No problem, I'm picking it up in two weeks time so I will post pictures after that. I'm just hoping they can fit it in!
Basically the fritz primaries are not only too thin bit also to short and unequal - it couldn't be any worse to be honest.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
semi off-topic

Garyg, I like the "Dead BMW Head" is there a name for that? My brother had that done on the tank of his BMW Bike, I would love to replace the stock BMW badges front, rear and side posts with custom ones like that. "Dead heads never die- they just smell funny"!

Cheers

Polariscsl

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21362597761.370114.jpg

Mini update - exhaust manifold is getting there! Looks like there is hope for RHD cars yet!
It's not properly bolted or finished yet and heat shields need to be fabricated but it's certainly pretty!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very nice. On another note, do you know what your Weber choke, idle jet and main jet/emulsion/air corrector specs are?

Polariscsl

Reaction score
I'm not sure what it ended up with on the dyno sorry. I am 99% that the chokes are 38's but i can check after the weekend when it should be running.