Austin: 1974 3.0 CS - $18K

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
74 with early bumpers. Hmmmm.

Looks lowered

Also no reinforcements in the trunk (which euro 74’s didn’t have). Honestly this looks like a 2800 CS to me. It has early wipers, early washer fluid nozzles, early seat stitching with early headrests. It
also comes with a set of early wheels.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, VIN is a euro 74 CS but the VIN plate is in a weird spot, too low. But washer bits are certainly from an earlier coupe. Seats get swapped all the time.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting car. It seems to be in very similar condition and state of edit as mine (although more complete). :confused: As such, I have to say I kind of like it.

I have a question about the side mirror location. I was under the (possibly naive) impression that all European coupe side mirrors were installed at the front of the door. These appear to be where I thought the US coupe mirrors are located. Is there a more complex history of the mirror locations?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, VIN is a euro 74 CS but the VIN plate is in a weird spot, too low. But washer bits are certainly from an earlier coupe. Seats get swapped all the time.

I just can’t imagine a washe swap. In addition to the washer nozzles present in the cowl, they are absent from the hood.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
When did the little inspection port with the orange cover arrive on the scene? My 2800CS doesn’t have one, or the bracket.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just can’t imagine a washe swap. In addition to the washer nozzles present in the cowl, they are absent from the hood.

If hood was replaced with an early hood they might have then used the 2800 squirters, just a guess. As I mentioned the VIN plate looks strange but if correct it’s a 74.

viphoto

Reaction score
FWIW Not that it means anything but the owners manual is for a 2800/2800cs
2800.jpg

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
When did the little inspection port with the orange cover arrive on the scene? My 2800CS doesn’t have one, or the bracket.

What is it for? I always thought it was just something left from my old abandoned FI system and have never lifted the orange cover.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's the "diagnostics" port that the BMW service system would have been plugged into to show various engine parameters like ignition advance.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What is it for? I always thought it was just something left from my old abandoned FI system and have never lifted the orange cover.

I must be blind. I don't see it in the Austin car.

Here's an example of what you're talking about (not the Austin car):

20180318_140044.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JDH

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Regarding the VIN tag location, possible it was removed for a repaint, they filled the holes, and forgot where to put it back?

They should post the VIN stamp in the body near that location.