Advice on doner cars (best years)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
naked and no make-up

Just got her back from the blasters - She had a couple of dents (drill holes) but no rust. here are some pics.-comments welcome! Tim, I start examining the parts tomorrow so we'll see what works in my little world.

Attachments

• blasted2.jpg
    blasted2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 150
  • blasted3.jpg
    blasted3.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 143
  • blasted1.jpg
    blasted1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 141

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
More conversion questions-

Got a Getrag 256 5 speed from an ’80 633 CSI. It came along with a running 1985 633 csi (very inexpensive) guy just wanted them out of garage after boy went to college. The Motronic intake will definitely bump the brake booster although I am told that a booster from a tii will alleviate that problem. Assuming the original motor that came with the car (dual zenith carb set-up) has 160 lbs across all cylinders would you consider using that original engine, the Motronic, or do you think it’s worthwhile finding and putting in putting in the L Jetronic.

Since I’m going from an automatic to a 5 speed I’m wondering if anyone knows if the e24 (633csi-US) pedals will fit the e9. There was a gentleman who had a set of e9 pedals but they are no longer available so if anyone knows where I can find a set (1974 CS) please let me know

My dashboard has some serious signs of wear. I have used the search functions on the site but have been unable to come up with any resources. Is this something that can be repaired and recovered or is there a place to get refurbished dashboards?

Any help would be appreciated

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To recover a dash, don't forget to check with a good auto upholstery shop. I had the large upper piece recovered for $300 and it matches perfectly. Much, much cheaper than Just Dashes who also take a very long time.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks-

I called the folks at just dashes and they were expensive, but looks like they do good work. They also knew the car very well but I did some reading and If I can find some local shop that has experience I'll likely try them. I will let the forum know what I come up with with some before and after shots.

Again, thanks all for the advice

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Paul,

I got the dash from Belgium so it had no dash top seat belt light and it had a crack two inches from the passenger A pillar and needed to be recovered. John at Universal Auto Upholstery that Murray recommends in Costa Mesa simply used a matching vinyl that he stretched and formed to the dash, no stitches were involved. There is a very slight indication of where the crack was but it isn't noticeable (except to me). This top piece is probably the easiest one to do, the instrument binnacle might be harder.

Chris
(yep, I'm a factory kind of guy) :)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Another question

Hi,

After weighing almost a dozen engine/trans options- with the help of allot of you folks I have decided to keep my 74 CS about as stock as possible. Since the compression is good in the original engine with 95K mi. I am simply going to do the Getrag 265 5 speed swap and recondition everything. I hope to get some more help with a couple of things however; I will need a fly-wheel and I understand that there is a "lightweight" wheel that came on some cars that will fit the 3.0. Does anyone know what part number that would be? Also, though I will save the original exhaust manifolds, I thought I would put a set of headers on the car to give it just a little more power, and finally, put in an electronic ignition. Any help, advice and specifics would be most appreciated.

Thank you

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Your current flywheel will work with the new five speed. I would only use a light weight flywheel if other performance mods were being added, just my two cents though.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Flywheel & Dash

Peter,

I had my three dash pieces redone by Just Dashes in California. Expensive, yes, but they do a great job. In addition to replacing the vinyl they refoam the metal skeleton -it looks like new. You can also have them delete the seat belt sign mounting hole. It is one of those parts of the car that is always "in your face" and needs to be done right.

You can have a machine shop take a bit of weight off of the flywheel along with the resurfacing work. I had a few lbs taken off this way.

Good luck,

jmackro

Reaction score
....John at Universal Auto Upholstery that Murray recommends in Costa Mesa simply used a matching vinyl that he stretched and formed to the dash, no stitches were involved.

I also had John Muntean at Universal Auto Upholstery in Costa Mesa re-upholster my dash pieces. No stitching was needed. John used vinyl without fabric backing, which makes it more stretchable. Looks like the factory dash to my eye.

Replacement dash wood is available from Madera Concepts in Goleta, Ca. (probably from other places as well).

DSCN0161_web.jpg