Advice on doner cars (best years)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm currently exploring engine and transmission upgrades for my 74 3.0 cs auto. I have spoken to a few parts people and they say the best years to transplant are 80-82 however I'm having a hard time finding any 5 speeds in my state that fit the bill. Can anyone tell me what the latest year I could use to do an upgrade and what fitment problems I might expect from the later models? Thanks.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks

I saw that article somewhere before but could not "re-locate" it. I kicked around lots of transplant ideas as I have a very solid 3.0 cs with a weak automatic trans and pretty sure I'm going to go with an '84 633 csi 5 speed.

If anyone out there has transplanted one of these motors/transmissions into a 3.0 cs (1974) and wants to throw in some advice- Please do.

Thanks again!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Bill

Thanks, I read that on the link sent by Tod- Is that because the 84 is read electronically or that the cables just don't fit? I thought I might do some "creative" gauges. Also, in your experience do you think this swap would present any other serious roadblocks. Although I don't want to really mess with the gauge cluster, if that was the biggest problem I could use a GPS speedo. Thanks for responding-

waynesie

Reaction score
This was very helpful

http://www.metricmechanic.com/catalog/getrag-identification-chart.php

You want a 265 with OD transmission. (265/6)

You can find them in the junk yards for $200-500. Use this chart to talk to your yard about what you are looking for. If you try to explain to them what you are trying to do it will just make things worse.

I found a you-pull-it place that had a 265 for $200 with all of the linkage and flywheel stuff. Just had to ask for a car in this list with the right stuff.

You will also need to source the other stuff to go with it if you are doing the auto to manual conversion, like clutch pedal, master, and fluid resevoir. Master is athe same on a 633 and some others, but the pedal and resevoir are not.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks more!

Waynesie- thanks. The donor car I have (from a neighbor) is a 633 CSI (84) however, he previously owned a 1980 633 CSI and it was hit in the door (hard) just after he had completed the restoration. The trans (5sp) was pulled with all the salvageable parts and that comes along with the 1984 so according to the link you sent, the 1980 5 speed is the unit I am looking for. I hope you don't mind if I ping you if I have some identification questions. Again- Thanks!

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
You have to look at the trans. Many of the later 6 series trans have a knock out plug where the speedo drive gear goes and it is nothing more than to insert the drive gear and you are good to go.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Again- Thanks

I plan on picking up my donor car this week-end and the seller has a plethora of additional parts for 633's 1980 and 84 so I'll probably have lots of questions that I know some of you folks will be able to answer. Also, once I have everything parted out if there are interchangeable parts that anyone might need please let me know- not looking to make lots of money, just would like to get them to a good home and keep my shop clean. Also, I can ship pretty cheap from one of my business warehouses.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I plan on picking up my donor car this week-end and the seller has a plethora of additional parts for 633's 1980 and 84 so I'll probably have lots of questions that I know some of you folks will be able to answer.
The 80 transmission is a 265 and is what you want.
The 84 633 (and most BMWs after 1983) has an electronic speedometer triggered by a pickup on the differential. E9s and the early 6 series (before 1982) have mechanical speedometers using a cable from the transmission.

tmason

Reaction score
How can you tell what year a 6 series is? I know of one that's parked and I can probably get it cheap 250.00 or so but before I knock on doors to ask I want to make sure it's the year I need. Thanks in advance,Tim.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
older 6 series

Hi Tim:

I'm not really a good person to ask about this but from what I can tell the best years if you're looking to transplant engines and transmissions and maybe some other stuff (I hear the clutch master cylinder is common) are 1978-82. I am getting an 84, but it comes with a Getrag 265/ 5 speed from a 1980. If you want to learn a little more about the 6's, check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_6_Series_(E24) and when I get my project rolling -hopefully in a couple of days, I will be happy to send you any information I gather. My e9 started extremely rust free since it lived in Dallas and New Mexico its life and I'm doing a full restoration. Since it's been a while since I worked on BMW's I took hundreds of pictures, literally every nut, bolt and screw that was removed so I'll probably get a site going soon and I can share that if anyone is interested. Also, if you like I'll pass along any information/knowledge I gain along the way. I am very fortunate to have engineers at Nat'l Instruments as neighbors EE's and ME's who have volunteered to help me with any really technical stuff so I hope to learn a lot!

Good luck!

waynesie

Reaction score
www.bigcoupe.com

this site has lots of information.

If you can see the VIN on the inside windshield drivers a-pillar, with that you can look it up.

If it has headlight wipers and small chrome bumpers it could be an early euro car. Lots of good parts on those.

You can look in and see if it has bucket recaro sport seats (nice), manual or auto transmission, chrome wheel arches, side view mirrors, etc.

If it is only $250 you could probably get this back in scrap metal alone.

Good luck.

tmason

Reaction score
I went and took a look at it on my lunch and it's is 1985 CSi w/5 spd. The price will be more like 400-500.00+having the engine pulled out.I don't want to deal with the removal and the shell so I'll pay to have this done but what else should I keep? Thanks in advance Tim.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just a thought

Tim: Some of the other folks on this forum are much more knowledgeable than I about fitment from year to year but I would want to get the car and take the parts out myself because I would not trust someone else who might just cut allot of stuff out. You may be able to upgrade lots of stuff from that year and fill in any missing tools from the tool box in the trunk. You never know what you'll find- the window motors may fit, gas tank?, and one of the things I plan on doing is taking all the miscellaneous hardware off like the door brakes and latches, etc. Not to mention all the nuts, bolts and trim screws. Also, if you're going to swap the motor and trans from an '85 you probably will need all the computer stuff/wiring plugs and pieces and some of the brackets. Sometimes it may be easier to change-up an engine bracket than fabricating a new one so that's just my take. On Monday I'll try to post what I can about the parts that I found interchangeable from the '84 633 CSI to the '74 3.0 CS and I hope that will help you. Also, as I mentioned, I take lots of pictures so I can send some of those along as well.

Good luck!

tmason

Reaction score
Thanks Peter that would be great if you would share the parts you decide to keep. One of the reason I don't want to pull it myself is I don't want the mess at my house I just want to put the parts in my shed for later use. I'm in no hurry to do the change out because my car runs and drives good.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Play in Transmission input shaft

Hi - Hoping to get some advice on my donor transmission; I have a Getrag 265 5 speed and it shifted very smoothly and quietly when it was in the 1980 633 CSI through all gears forward and reverse. When I got the trans out, and was inspecting it I noticed that there seems to be allot of play or wobble in the input shaft and I was wondering how much play is normal. Also if there is a recommendation for any routine maintenance or "freshening up" that should be done I would appreciate it.
I also includes some pics of the trans and donor engine in case anyone has any comments or suggestions. Thanks

Attachments

• getrag265.jpg
    getrag265.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 174
  • getrag265-2.jpg
    getrag265-2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 150
  • donorengine.jpg
    donorengine.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 135

tmason

Reaction score
I found a 85 535i with a 5 speed at Pick&Pull for 150.00 for the transmission so I'm thinking of going this route instead of buying a donor car.Does the fly wheel work on my car?
Thanks
PS Great idea to decode the vin# because this one is a 260. Thanks

Last edited: