73 POLARIS E3 BUILD...Slowly..

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pastellblau. Just looked at a 2002 painted that color on a website I have saved. It is not sexy, it does not pop. Rather it is soft on the eyes and shows off the curves and the lines of a Bavaria to its best advantage. I don't know if BMW ever did a Bavaria in Pastell. They should have.

Steve

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
I do love Pastellblau on the 02s...I feel like it's too light for a Bavaria, though.. I wish I could find a color I could keep my blue interior, as it's in great shape..I wonder how blue seats with black carpet would look?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if you want a nice metallic blue BMW color - look at stratos blue. this is an e21 that @eastsideM3 painted and sold on BaT. gorgeous color

1711593461168.png

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stratos Blue is amazing. Looks like metalic Pastellblau but a shade or two darker with a bit od bling. And it is an early BMW color. What more could you ask for?

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh wow, that’s gorgeous. I may have to get a half pint to see how it looks..I was hoping to avoid spraying a metallic, since I’ll be painting some parts separately..that makes it near impossible to match..but that is sweeet looking

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh wow, that’s gorgeous. I may have to get a half pint to see how it looks..I was hoping to avoid spraying a metallic, since I’ll be painting some parts separately..that makes it near impossible to match..but that is sweeet looking
send a PM to @eastsideM3 and ask him who made the paint. the car was painted in the last 6 months so it is recent. there is another 323i on BaT right now, it says its stratos blue, but it looks much different.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Taste of course is personal. Avus blue is too blue and too metalic for me. Stratos may be metalic but it looks more muted, closer to Pastellblau.

otter74

Reaction score
if you want a nice metallic blue BMW color - look at stratos blue. this is an e21 that @eastsideM3 painted and sold on BaT. gorgeous color

View attachment 179533
Is that really Stratos? It looks lighter and yellower than what I expected. The 323i on BaT now is listed as Stratos, and matches the color of the 320i that my parents bought in 1982. But looks significantly different from the car above.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, Avus is too dark for me. Honestly, I think I'm leaning more towards Arles Blue from Land Rover, as long as it doesn't change as bad in shade as Riviera...I just don't want metallic for several reasons and I'm just not seeing a solid BMW color that's getting me. I still have a few months before I need to really make a call...tough decisions!

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Question: Is there a kit or part numbers for the differential? I was planning on at least replacing seals and whatnot. Maybe bearings, too?...I have new boots coming and will be pulling it completely apart, once I can get the grime cleaned off of it.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Call Todd Howerton at Outlaw Disc Brakes in Cumming (770) 844-1777 He is a great guy and most probably be able to help you He also has big brake calipers. He knows his stuff

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m just finding the bearings, seals, etc, from separate places..slower, but I have time..lol. Also thought I had a Haynes manual, but can’t find it anywhere..ugh..I did find this online and just arrived..looks pretty good.
image.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Fritzie

Reaction score
So, if any of the group has experience with the strengthening needs of the front subframe, here's what I'm thinking. I pulled my front bushings out to get ready for clean up and paint, when I noticed it was bent from what I assume was a curb or something..I got it back in shape with some hardened punches, but I saw the loop was cracked. I drilled, ground out, and welded it but thought that the area looks pretty weak, considering where it is located..I'm thinking of welding in a strap type support out of 1/8" steel to strengthen that spot. Anyone else ever see issues in this area on their rebuilds? Seems like such thin metal that could use a bit of shoring up..

The sub is upside down in the pics:View attachment 179026View attachment 179027
Hello, have noticed the same cracks in that area. I decided to reweld it. But your solution is very simple and useful especially when you drive a lot (rally’s) or if there are bigger wheels on the car (more reaction forces)

Attachments

• IMG_4089.jpeg
    IMG_4089.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4106.jpeg
    IMG_4106.jpeg
    785.3 KB · Views: 21