73 POLARIS E3 BUILD...Slowly..

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is my car in Baikal with black interior. This is the original color combo.
Man, I really like that! I just don't know if I want to go through all the trouble of changing the interior color...if my interior were already black or tan, I'd do it in a heartbeat...Ahhhhh!

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good Lord...I'm going to start back on my build thread! Been a minute...;-/. So, I've been looking at different colors for the car..sprayed a Riviera spare panel, but I don't like the color in the shade..in the sun, it's gorgeous..but in the shade, it's just so far off what I want..ugh. I'll start posting my color search here from now on. I'm in GA now and have finally gotten moving on it again. I'm rebuilding the front suspension and sub, and have the rear sub ready to come off and start the rebuild on that. Pics to come...

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, if any of the group has experience with the strengthening needs of the front subframe, here's what I'm thinking. I pulled my front bushings out to get ready for clean up and paint, when I noticed it was bent from what I assume was a curb or something..I got it back in shape with some hardened punches, but I saw the loop was cracked. I drilled, ground out, and welded it but thought that the area looks pretty weak, considering where it is located..I'm thinking of welding in a strap type support out of 1/8" steel to strengthen that spot. Anyone else ever see issues in this area on their rebuilds? Seems like such thin metal that could use a bit of shoring up..

The sub is upside down in the pics:
subframe loop.jpg
subframe loop2.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine was bashed up from a pothole. I had it straightened and welded but your idea looks great, wish I could have reinforced it like that.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, cool...It feels like the right thing to do, while it's apart...I'd sure hate to have it come apart on me...

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Got a little more done today. I finished the front sub frame bushing loop reenforcement, painted, and pressed in the bushings...good lord, those are a PIA to get in.
Also finally pulled the rear subframe out to get ready to clean/rebuild.
Thought: I pulled the Idler arm off and of course the bushing is toast, but the bmw one is $80 and isn't anything special. I'm thinking I might make a two piece Delrin sleeve to replace the rubber portion on mine. Should last forever and give tighter steering response..
IMG_4177.jpg
bavsubbush.jpg
IMG_4197.jpg
IMG_4198.jpg

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's the idler arm. I think I'll make a two piece Delrin bushing to fit the existing unit. I pressed out the center of the old one and cleaned off the center steel sleeve to reuse. Could be fun to make those pieces quick..
IMG_4199.jpeg

Last edited:

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also. Can my build thread be moved to the resto page? I think I started this before we had separate pages...LOL

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love most BMW early blues. My new to me back in the day 1600 was Atlantik. Deep and rich. When I painted my 74 Polaris euro coupe I used an early Porsche Boxster silver with a wee bit of metalic. Go with the color you love. My 72 Bavaria has a tan interior. It looks good with so many colors. Red can be tooo red. I have only seen two or three red interiors I liked.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love most BMW early blues. My new to me back in the day 1600 was Atlantik. Deep and rich. When I painted my 74 Polaris euro coupe I used an early Porsche Boxster silver with a wee bit of metalic. Go with the color you love. My 72 Bavaria has a tan interior. It looks good with so many colors. Red can be tooo red. I have only seen two or three red interiors I liked.
I do love most of the early BMW blues, as well. I just wish Riviera didn't darken sooo much in the shade. It almost looks purple. In the sun it's stunning. I also love tan or tobacco interior. My old 1600 was tobacco...such a nice color.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Now I'm looking at the rear subframe supports. I only see oem at over $100/ea, and still rubber, or Ireland urethane (out of stock) for $200/pair. Would it be crazy to just make delrin bushings for those or would that make the rear end too rough riding/noise transmitting? Thoughts? I can make them for the cost of the delrin bar stock..

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yeah...... My car has adjustable Spax struts and shocks to give me that relaxed old man cruising down the wine country roads look......

No stinkin Motorsports stuff for me....

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yeah, i'm thinking of going to the KW v3 coilovers (adjustable) ... with not too stiff of springs (2 springs on each strut) as i do NOT need to loosen any more fillings or crowns.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m still happy to jar some fillings loose..:) I’ll have to pick up the big sway bars, too.. I have new bilsteins and lowering springs on the way..