4310316 begins

tygaboy

Reaction score
A couple of practice crimps, with scale, in case this helps.
IMG_4722.JPG

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
With the understanding that this group is passionately dedicated to a DIY approach, I am taking what is likely the highly unpopular view that this project has run it's course and at the stage where a divorce is probably the best approach for both owner and vehicle. Alan- Cut your losses and sell it. Just wash your hands of it and go on a vacation with the wife. With the car sitting outside and the numerous botched fixes being documented in excruciating detail in this thread, you aren't doing the car's value or yourself any favors. Life is too short to spend days/weeks/months effectively getting nowhere and at times in fact going backwards. Please know, I say all this with the best intentions.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT YET IF I SOLD IT
I WOULDNT HAVE THINGS TO DRIVE ME CRAZY
AND ID LOSE MY HOBBY
I WAS IN ELECTRONICS IN THE ARMY SO KNOW ELEC VERY E\WELL

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
A couple of practice crimps, with scale, in case this helps.

Another pro-tip for @aearch. If you stagger your wire cuts you won’t end up with a giant lump when you tape the harness back up.

@aearch,

You will not be able to use any factory ECU with that motor. You have different compression and horsepower. If you need a harness, it would only make sense to start with a factory S38 harness.

With that said, I have a good solution to your computer issue that allows you to keep your special motor. Install Weber 50mm DCOE carbs. 123 distributor. Be done with custom ECU’s and wiring harnesses.

It’s been done before, and it is awesome.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
With that said, I have a good solution to your computer issue that allows you to keep your special motor. Install Weber 50mm DCOE carbs. 123 distributor. Be done with custom ECU’s and wiring harnesses.
The cost of the triples is about what Alan had budgeted to pay a tech to wire and tune it, iirc. Seems like a great option to me.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The cost of the triples is about what Alan had budgeted to pay a tech to wire and tune it, iirc. Seems like a great option to me.

Well, would need an adapter to fit a DCOE manifold, or DCOE’s to the s38 ITB manifold. Would also need a low pressure electric fuel pump. Would need an OE tank pickup. Then you have the same expert tuning, just a different (older) expert.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, would need an adapter to fit a DCOE manifold, or DCOE’s to the s38 ITB manifold. Would also need a low pressure electric fuel pump. Would need an OE tank pickup. Then you have the same expert tuning, just a different (older) expert.
And a 123 at $500 or $600 beans.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score

tferrer who YOU KIDDING!!!!​

THIS IS MY BABY
I BOUGHT IT FROM THE SECOND OWNER AND ENJOYED IT FOR YEARS BEFORE
TEARING IT DOWN TO THE FRAME AND STARTING NEW
EVERY PIECE OF RUBBER IS NEW
ITS A 3:64 LSD
5 SP OVERDRIVE
EXCELLENT INTERIOR I WON FIRST PLACE IN TWO CONCOURSES
SINCE THE ENGINE WAS A FRIGGIN DOG AND STARTED TO SMOKE I PULLED IIN
HINDSITE I SHOULD HAVE WENT THE WAY OF MICHEAL IN HIS OCOUPE
AND PUT IN A 3.3 I THOUGHT OF IT YET WAS APPROACHED BY THE WONDERFUL OLD MAN
AND HIS M5 UNIT
I COULDNT RESIST.
ITS A BEAUTIFUL MOTOR.

IT DONT KNOW WHERE YOU GUYS GET OFF -- BUT YOUR SURELYY WAAAAY LOST
WHY DO U THINK I STARTED THIS THING???????????????
I WANT THAT FRIGGIN MOTOR GETTTT ITTT!!!!!!!!!!
KEEP YOUR NEGATIVE COMMENT TO YOURSELF
I WILL GET THIS GOING SUMMERS END
DDDOOOONEEEE DEEEEALLL !!!!!!
IF IWANTED A CRUISER I WOULD HAVE WENT THE 3.3
ITS NOT TO BE
I M THINKIN THE M5 HARNESS IS A SIMPLE WAY AT THIS POINT
AND BIG FUUUUN TO PUT IT IN.
CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!

NO TIME IS BEING WASTED AS REALLY HAVE NO BURNING CRAZINESS TO GETT IT RUNNING TOMORROW
IT WILL COME AS IIT COMES IN THE RIGHTEOUS ORDER OF THE COSMOS.
KEEP ON TRUCKIN.
WE HAVE REACHED PEAK?????? WHATS THE WE BUULLSIT
ITS MY CAR!!!!!!!! GETTIT

Last edited:

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
With the understanding that this group is passionately dedicated to a DIY approach, I am taking what is likely the highly unpopular view that this project has run it's course and at the stage where a divorce is probably the best approach for both owner and vehicle. Alan- Cut your losses and sell it. Just wash your hands of it and go on a vacation with the wife. With the car sitting outside and the numerous botched fixes being documented in excruciating detail in this thread, you aren't doing the car's value or yourself any favors. Life is too short to spend days/weeks/months effectively getting nowhere and at times in fact going backwards. Please know, I say all this with the best intentions.

Please don't take this as just being negative Alan.
I think we all genuinely want you to get to the point that you can drive and enjoy the car. That said, this thread is littered with good advice that if followed would have seen you in all probability on the road by now. I get it, you have a mental image of what you want the car to look like and you want to honour that vision. However, in my experience you sometimes get to a point where the sunk costs (time, money, stress) and the opportunity cost (what other things you could have done with that time and money if you didn't have the car) that you need to ask some yourself some tough questions and reappraise your approach.

If you want to plough on and stay true to your vision then you should do it.

However, I don't think it's fair that if you elect to do that you keep coming back to forum members asking for advice, support and on more than one occasion offers of free parts and/or coming to see you, as you are imposing opportunity and sunk costs on them for no obvious progress on your project.

This thread has been going for 6 and a half years now. I know we normally don't make comments on the pace of projects but here is some food for thought.

In the same period of time NASA went from a single sub-orbital flight with a chimpanzee to the Apollo Program.

They achieved that by:

1. Listening to people that knew what they were doing.

2. Being prepared to spend the money required to deliver the goal.

3. Constantly refining the design and associated electronics and mechanicals based on the expert advice and relying on tested and reliable technology wherever possible to minimise risk.

No matter how you choose to go forward I think you need to adopt the NASA approach.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I GOT IT
IVE BEEN TAKING A 2ND 4TH LOOK AT THE INSTALATION AND WIRING MANUAL
IT REALLY A NO BRAINER FOR ABOUT 85%
THE 15% ILL FAKE AND BLOW UP THE ENGINE

HIT THE FRIGGIN TOWN RUYNNING

Attachments

• LINK.jpg
    LINK.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 57

julianCS

Reaction score
Another pro-tip for @aearch. If you stagger your wire cuts you won’t end up with a giant lump when you tape the harness back up.

@aearch,

You will not be able to use any factory ECU with that motor. You have different compression and horsepower. If you need a harness, it would only make sense to start with a factory S38 harness.

It’s been done before, and it is awesome.
Sadly at the moment there is no 123 ignition for s38/late style M30…so for ignition you would have to keep oem ignition distributer or Kdfi/link or other ecu for ignition.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My apologies I have not been able to make my second visit to help you Alan. I had consulted others and had a plan, but my son just had a beautiful baby girl and I am about to go spend some time helping with that project.
All roads lead nowhere, pick one and follow it with a passion. (I stole that line)

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
thanks alL foR THE input = thankyou michael from a man who surely knows HIS WORK
I GOT TIRED OF HITTING THE SPACE BAR -MY KEYBOARD IS PROGRAMABLE SO I NEED TO
RESET IT AS IT JUMPS TO CAPS WHEN THE SPACEBAR IS HIT.
KNOW ABOUT THE TIME LENGTH 6.5 YRS
RIDICULOUS HUH-- IVE BEEN GOING OVER THE INSTALL DATA AGAIN AND IT SEEMS I
KNOW BY HEART -- SO WITHIN THE NEXT MONTH OR SO ILL HAVE IT SETUP UP ENUF
TO START IT. IF I CAN AFFORD THE GAS