1974 Batmobile Tribute on BaT

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks to be a fun ride.

The radio is kind of a 'show piece' as the transmission likely drowns out any chance of anything else being heard. Looks nice in the console though.
And I appreciate the very clear 'CSL style' title in the listing - not that anyone would ever mistake this for a true CSL (with what is under the hood) - but still a positive for full disclosure. On the negative (at least as far as the auction presentation goes) - the first ~150 pics are pretty much all glamor shots not showing much of any detail. Makes the 300 pic count kind of misleading.

Will be interesting to see where this one goes ($$).

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
This car seems to have a bit of an identity crisis between having some qualities of a very fast race car and yet also wanting to be a comfy street car with AC, nice interior, muffler, radio, etc.

It has the power and brakes to go really fast (390HP from ‘remapping’ an S38?) and AP brakes (but w/o cooling ductwork), big tires/fenders, aero body kit. But it lacking the equipment to make utilize that power and speed safely.

For me, cars like this are a bit like false advertising. I am not disparaging street cars that pose as race cars or people who enjoy driving purpose-built race cars on the street. i just don’t understand what is so cool about showing everyone you can make a useless combination.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
I disagree with the naysayers on this. It's what a Singer is or any GT3; big spoilers and dual zone climate, nav, contrasting stitching and on and on. I like it!

m5toureg

Reaction score
It has the power and brakes to go really fast (390HP from ‘remapping’ an S38?) and AP brakes (but w/o cooling ductwork), big tires/fenders, aero body kit. But it lacking the equipment to make……
@JFENG - sorry, wishful thinking - 390 bhp out of an S38B38 engine by simple ,remapping’
is not likely to be possible. That engine is already tuned to reasonable limits by the ,engine
trolls’ of BMW Motorsport GmbH…. to achieve anything near 400 bhp (DIN) out of the S38
= considerable work and funds are required.

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What a kludge of mismatched bits and pieces this thing is... if the inside is any indication of their engineering design philosophy, 2 modern gauges between 2 vintage ones, front and rear seats from different galaxies, modern gear shift knob with vintage looking radio, I would be very cautious with this one.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
As much as I love the e30 M3, these weak box flares do nothing for me on the e9. Give me pig cheeks or group 5! (No offense to factory original group 4). :D

Not a fan of this one either:
D6974692-CA6B-4431-AAFF-4E474531065D.jpeg

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm kind of a fan of that (weak box flare) look. I do like the full-on race flares but think they are a bit much for the street. Really like how they carried the character line in the flares; often times when flares are added that detail is missing.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
”Interesting” location of the front pads on the lift! It’s either got very strong floors or very dented ones?!

It's the last: very dented, and disappointing, but I'll use this image in my diy thread "how to lift your coupe" .

See the fold in the floor, just right side of the jack pad.

Hey, we all learn something thanks to him. I always *thought* the floor couldn't support such loads. Now I *know*.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230915_203718_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230915_203718_Samsung Internet.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
The sill seam at the right front also looks a little suspicious; It ( the white curve below the car) is supposed to be a nice gradual curve going up into the A - pillar, not this jagged shape.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230915_204531_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230915_204531_Samsung Internet.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 66