Roman596061

Reaction score
Another problem is the internet. She has a long memory and one that is easy to search. In particular this car since you have plugged it so much. It is easy to see what the car didn’t sell for. The problem with public auctions is that everyone now knows what the highest bid was and that is now the benchmark for your car. It’s documented and so are the remarks. The market has spoken.
Another non-constructive naysayer.

Are we to admire you for your current or past cars?

I could do that as well.

A bit unsecure, I believe.

Roman596061

Reaction score
One more thing, some cars are most loved mainly for their driving experience (Peugeot 205gti), others mostly for their beauty (pontoon 220 cabriolet).

E9’s are valued mostly for their appearance, IMHO. Thus a cosmetically great E9 with clear proof of no rust (Craterface) will do better than a scruffy looking E9 with undocumented rust situation and loads of desirable options.

Fix the cosmetics, photo document rust prone areas and you might have a >$100k car.
Bfeng wins today's award for for the first and only positive comment regarding my car for today.

Most gracious that you're cup is more than half-full.

Richard

Roman596061

Reaction score
Well, I am going to stick to my rules, find the positive or say nothing

Let me think how can I be positive about this car, well I suppose I should say "congratulations" for getting somebody to bid $53k on BAT recently for this car, that is amazing and you should be heartedly congratulated, amazing job, well done.

On another positive note, you say you are a concours judge, how very interesting ? I see you also throw Pebble Beach and Amelia Island about as references in your comments, would love to know your experiences in these seriously prestigious events.

Below is the recent BAT posting for anybody who missed it

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-bmw-3-0cs-47/
IYEQADOAQ

Roman596061

Reaction score
Another problem is the internet. She has a long memory and one that is easy to search. In particular this car since you have plugged it so much. It is easy to see what the car didn’t sell for. The problem with public auctions is that everyone now knows what the highest bid was and that is now the benchmark for your car. It’s documented and so are the remarks. The market has spoken.
IYEWADOAQ

Tim M

Reaction score
The comments on BaT are pretty much on par here so all we can say is good luck on your sell and I'm sure we are ALL interested if it sells and for what price.
PS where is Berwynpa1963?

Roman596061

Reaction score
Craterface,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I'm not pulling the engine but I'll clean up the areas that you addressed.

The value cover and wiper arms were powder coated in 2014.

Agreed, that the Coco mats should go - tonight.

The original carpeting is an great shape, so I'll just clean them.

The front seats have been removed, cleaned and leather restorer and cleaner has been applied (see pics).

I love the Schwartz color, as it's not that common with the offset Epsilon black and silver wheels vs. the common practice of Alpina wheels.

I'm not retired.

Richard

View attachment 122920View attachment 122921View attachment 122922View attachment 122923
Craterface,

Most gracious for your suggestions.

Last night I performed the following:

1. Tossed the Coco Mats,

2. Cleaned the original carpets,

3. Removed old engine bay stickers,

4. Cleaning the overspray on the brake booster, wiper motor, head value cover, head manifolds, webers, etc (pics below and at https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/1973-bmw-3-0-cs-five-speed-is-for-sale.38357/

Most gracious for your very constructive comments to improve the value of my car.

Enjoy the road.

Richard

carpets.jpg
eng3.jpg
eng2.jpg
eng1.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos,

Exactly were did I state that the chrome was excellent?

NOWHERE!
Richard

This was a low cost recommendation. There is no need to be defensive or turn the CAPS LOCK on. Since you asked, you mentioned the excellent condition of your chrome directly in your listing. See below.

** #2 vehicles could win a local or regional show (mine car has placed in 8 concour events). They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven (only driven 26k in my 17 years of ownership) or have aged (nope). Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent (all are). No excessive smoke will be seen on startup (none – new engine) , no unusual noises will emanate from the engine (none).

I actually like your car, which has plenty of potential. It can be vastly improved for a low figure. That is a positive in my book. I’m not a fan of the sales methodology and poor representation of this car. I can’t go into any details without appearing mean spirited however, and there is clearly no point to identifying ways to make the car more marketable.

Your comment about my spending to much time on the forum is the most astute observation that you have made thus far. Statistically speaking I spend more time on this forum than any other member. It is not something that I am proud or ashamed of. I’m still living a full life. :)

Roman596061

Reaction score
This was a low cost recommendation. There is no need to be defensive or turn the CAPS LOCK on. Since you asked, you mentioned the excellent condition of your chrome directly in your listing. See below.

I actually like your car, which has plenty of potential. It can be vastly improved for a low figure. That is a positive in my book. I’m not a fan of the sales methodology and poor representation of this car. I can’t go into any details without appearing mean spirited however, and there is clearly no point to identifying ways to make the car more marketable.

Your comment about my spending to much time on the forum is the most astute observation that you have made thus far. Statistically speaking I spend more time on this forum than any other member. It is not something that I am proud or ashamed of. I’m still living a full life. :)
Ok, my oversight.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Arde:

So all of FB likes are worthless, ok.

Do you find any pictures of my car as

Sfdon,

As I started before, I undercoated my wheel wells each spring and sprayed rustoleum to the undercarriage of my now 48 year old car for preservation and not to hide anything, plus I never thought I would be selling it and such would be such a detriment.

Do you like any of my other pictures or are you only seeking to be critical vs. constructive?

I spent last Saturday removing the undercoating so it's fully exposed for the new owner's concern.

Richard
Richard - You do know that Don restores these cars for a living, right? He generously volunteers his time here to help those of us with lesser knowledge and frequently diagnoses problem we have just by looking at a picture.

You would do well to ask yourself whether you might learn something from a professional who specializes in this particular car.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
My lovely e9 1973 3.0 CS five-speed for sale

It's value sits snugly in between Hagerty’s #3 value* and a #2** value**.

Only 6k on $13,750 engine rebuild in 2015.

Located in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Pics are posted at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ocapjt2cP_MN2B9bM_4Fgqe1JHFNYYWs

It will be posted for auction @ www.collectorchassis.com on the 15th.

Valuation:

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1973-BMW-3.0CS

Seeking $87.5k but open to offers that begin with an 8.

* #3 vehicles will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job (taken to bare metal in 2014 and the front fender small bubble rust was performed in 2019 and the hood was redone in 2021) or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts (no incorrect parts) These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour (absolutely with only 6k on 2015 engine rebuild for $13,795 plus new high performance brakes, rechromed bumpers, new items: tires, fuel tank, starter, battery, etc) without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws.

"Good" is the one-word description of a #3 vehicle.

** #2 vehicles could win a local or regional show (mine car has placed in 8 concour events). They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven (only driven 26k in my 17 years of ownership) or have aged (nope). Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent (all are). No excessive smoke will be seen on startup (none – new engine) , no unusual noises will emanate from the engine (none).

The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one-word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."

https://youtu.be/5pUKsrsn8ug using gears 3, 2 and 3

https://youtu.be/e0xMoP81wlM using gears 1, 2 and 3

https://youtu.be/Lxmah3PdnuE using gears 3, 4 and 5

https://youtu.be/e9HEkc8qwuQ using gears 2 and 3

AC Test https://youtu.be/7tKozH7I1GE

I purchased my e9 in 2004.

Finished in Schwarz, the seating surfaces were retrimmed with tan leather from World Upholstery, an Alpina wood-rimmed steering wheel, 15″ Epsilon wheels, a Pioneer stereo, and Italian-market turn signals were fitted.

The 3.0-liter inline-six was rebuilt in 2015 (only 6k miles added) and includes triple side-draft Weber carburetors, oversized pistons, a performance head from Bimmerheads, and a Schrick camshaft.

The 3.0-liter inline-six was rebuilt in 2015 and features triple side-draft Weber carburetors, a Schrick camshaft, and over-sized pistons along with a BimmerHeads performance cylinder head.

The original hood brace was damaged during the exterior refurbishment, an expandable hood prop-rod is included in the sale, and the windshield washer lines were not reinstalled after the 2021 hood paintwork.

Additional work performed during current ownership included replacement of the following components (see attached receipts):

• Timing chain
  • Water pump
  • Radiator and hoses
  • Main bearings
  • Air-conditioning lines in June 2019
  • Starter in September 2019
  • Optima Yellow-Top battery in May 2021
During prior ownership the car was converted from an automatic to a five-speed manual transmission by Korman Autoworks.

Additional work since 2020 included replacement of the battery, tires, started and cquence high-end brake components.

This E9 coupe is now offered in Florida with refurbishment records dating back to 1985, rare 1980's CS Registry car club newsletters binder and a clean Virginia title in the seller’s name.

The Karmann-constructed body was stripped to bare metal and refinished in black in 2013, front fender rust was repaired with welded-in metal in 2019, and the hood was repainted in 2021.

The grille wears BMW CCA and BMW CS Register badges.

Additional exterior refurbishment consists of repair or replacement of the following components:

• Windshield, rear window, and trunk lid molding
  • Rocker panels
  • Mirrors
  • Chrome-plated wiper arms
  • Bumpers rechromed by Classic Components of Santa Ana, California
  • Fuel tank
  • Rear inner-fender liners
Refurbished three-piece 15″ Epsilon wheels are wrapped in 195/60 Yokohama AVID Envigor tires that were mounted in September 2020.

Braking is handled by discs at each corner, with Cquence cross-drilled and slotted rotors with semi-metallic brake pads up front as well as Cquence rotors out back that were also installed in September 2020.

The cabin features the original brown carpeting protected by Coco mats.

Features include wood trim, power windows, a Pioneer CD stereo, and air conditioning, the latter of which was overhauled in 2016.

The ignition switch was replaced in 2016, and the power windows repaired in 2019.

The high-beam switch must be held in place to operate the high-beam lights.

Power is sent to the rear wheels through a five-speed manual transmission installed during previous ownership.

Replacement clutch components were installed in 2007, and an engine mount, transmission mount, and the center driveshaft-support bearing were replaced in October 2018.

Open to offers.

Enjoy the road.

Richard
[email protected]
703-577-4524

Richard,
FB is perfect if you want very positive comments that doesn't mean anything at all. It's a great place for dreamers! :)
The biggest problem is of course the way you present your car, don't you see that? It's not the car itself that's the problem here.
There are all kinds of coupes for sale discussed here, those posted for sale directly by members, or coupes that are for sale elsewhere (bat/craigslist/ebay/etc), and certainly many of those cars are in much worse condition than yours. Not once is there a problem if the seller presents the car he/she is selling for what it is.

All potential buyers out there appreciates a seller who points out all the flaws that he/she knows of. Nobody wants a seller who wants top dollar and focuses blindly on the positives, and screams "nay-sayer" and "non-constructive" and claims it's bashing as soon as a flaw is discussed.

I know, I know.. nay-sayer.

Last edited:

Roman596061

Reaction score
Richard,
FB is perfect if you want very positive comments that doesn't mean anything at all. It's a great place for dreamers! :)
The biggest problem is of course the way you present your car, don't you see that? It's not the car itself that's the problem here.
There are all kinds of coupes for sale discussed here, those posted for sale directly by members, or coupes that are for sale elsewhere (bat/craigslist/ebay/etc), and certainly many of those cars that are in much worse condition than yours. Not once is there a problem if the seller presents the car he/she is selling for what it is.

All potential buyers out there appreciates a seller who points out all the flaws that he/she knows of. Nobody wants a seller who wants top dollar and focuses blindly on the positives, and screams "nay-sayer" and "non-constructive" and claims it's bashing as soon as a flaw is discussed.

I know, I know.. nay-sayer.
Ok to the car with two self-classified #3 cars.

I'm finished with this group - I received some positive recommendations but the others were just snarky.

Goodbye

Roman596061

Reaction score
Richard - You do know that Don restores these cars for a living, right? He generously volunteers his time here to help those of us with lesser knowledge and frequently diagnoses problem we have just by looking at a picture.

You would do well to ask yourself whether you might learn something from a professional who specializes in this particular car.
Exactly how would I know that?

Again, several like cratefface made suggestions that I undertook - the others were just trashing me or my car, so I'm deleting my acct.

Goodbye to all.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I guess I am going to be the one, as everybody else is dancing around the subject.........while the car is what it is, everybody with a modicum of eyesight can clearly see it for what it really is, so no further comment needed there.

From a rust bucket to a concours car every car has its place and anybody that knows me knows my mantra on our shared passion "I dont care if you car is worth $500 if you love it I will love it with you" as this hobby is about the people, not what we each own.

As somebody who collects E9s, has owned more than I care to remember, throwing about the words "Concours Judge" "Amelia Island" or "Pebble Beach" as some kind of justification for their comments or actions, as OCCoupe says, throws up massive red flags.

The problem here is not the car, its the attitude of the owner, much the same as can be seen on the BAT comments. Who would walk onto a forum that has been going for how many years on one particular model, as a new member and then proceed to tell everybody they have an E9, especially this E9, that it sits firmly between a number 2 and 3 in condition? That alone takes some balls. Then you proceed to get defensive and make snotty remarks to some good and kind people who really do know E9s, all of them not really telling you truth about your car, just trying to be kind.

Its not the car thats the issue here

Last edited: