Roman596061

Reaction score
My lovely e9 1973 3.0 CS five-speed for sale

It's value sits snugly in between Hagerty’s #3 value* and a #2** value**.

Only 6k on $13,750 engine rebuild in 2015.

Located in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Pics are posted at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ocapjt2cP_MN2B9bM_4Fgqe1JHFNYYWs

It will be posted for auction @ www.collectorchassis.com on the 15th.

Valuation:

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1973-BMW-3.0CS

Seeking $87.5k but open to offers that begin with an 8.

* #3 vehicles will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job (taken to bare metal in 2014 and the front fender small bubble rust was performed in 2019 and the hood was redone in 2021) or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts (no incorrect parts) These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour (absolutely with only 6k on 2015 engine rebuild for $13,795 plus new high performance brakes, rechromed bumpers, new items: tires, fuel tank, starter, battery, etc) without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws.

"Good" is the one-word description of a #3 vehicle.

** #2 vehicles could win a local or regional show (mine car has placed in 8 concour events). They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven (only driven 26k in my 17 years of ownership) or have aged (nope). Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent (all are). No excessive smoke will be seen on startup (none – new engine) , no unusual noises will emanate from the engine (none).

The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one-word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."

https://youtu.be/5pUKsrsn8ug using gears 3, 2 and 3

https://youtu.be/e0xMoP81wlM using gears 1, 2 and 3

https://youtu.be/Lxmah3PdnuE using gears 3, 4 and 5

https://youtu.be/e9HEkc8qwuQ using gears 2 and 3

AC Test https://youtu.be/7tKozH7I1GE

I purchased my e9 in 2004.

Finished in Schwarz, the seating surfaces were retrimmed with tan leather from World Upholstery, an Alpina wood-rimmed steering wheel, 15″ Epsilon wheels, a Pioneer stereo, and Italian-market turn signals were fitted.

The 3.0-liter inline-six was rebuilt in 2015 (only 6k miles added) and includes triple side-draft Weber carburetors, oversized pistons, a performance head from Bimmerheads, and a Schrick camshaft.

The 3.0-liter inline-six was rebuilt in 2015 and features triple side-draft Weber carburetors, a Schrick camshaft, and over-sized pistons along with a BimmerHeads performance cylinder head.

The original hood brace was damaged during the exterior refurbishment, an expandable hood prop-rod is included in the sale, and the windshield washer lines were not reinstalled after the 2021 hood paintwork.

Additional work performed during current ownership included replacement of the following components (see attached receipts):

• Timing chain
  • Water pump
  • Radiator and hoses
  • Main bearings
  • Air-conditioning lines in June 2019
  • Starter in September 2019
  • Optima Yellow-Top battery in May 2021
During prior ownership the car was converted from an automatic to a five-speed manual transmission by Korman Autoworks.

Additional work since 2020 included replacement of the battery, tires, started and cquence high-end brake components.

This E9 coupe is now offered in Florida with refurbishment records dating back to 1985, rare 1980's CS Registry car club newsletters binder and a clean Virginia title in the seller’s name.

The Karmann-constructed body was stripped to bare metal and refinished in black in 2013, front fender rust was repaired with welded-in metal in 2019, and the hood was repainted in 2021.

The grille wears BMW CCA and BMW CS Register badges.

Additional exterior refurbishment consists of repair or replacement of the following components:

• Windshield, rear window, and trunk lid molding
  • Rocker panels
  • Mirrors
  • Chrome-plated wiper arms
  • Bumpers rechromed by Classic Components of Santa Ana, California
  • Fuel tank
  • Rear inner-fender liners
Refurbished three-piece 15″ Epsilon wheels are wrapped in 195/60 Yokohama AVID Envigor tires that were mounted in September 2020.

Braking is handled by discs at each corner, with Cquence cross-drilled and slotted rotors with semi-metallic brake pads up front as well as Cquence rotors out back that were also installed in September 2020.

The cabin features the original brown carpeting protected by Coco mats.

Features include wood trim, power windows, a Pioneer CD stereo, and air conditioning, the latter of which was overhauled in 2016.

The ignition switch was replaced in 2016, and the power windows repaired in 2019.

The high-beam switch must be held in place to operate the high-beam lights.

Power is sent to the rear wheels through a five-speed manual transmission installed during previous ownership.

Replacement clutch components were installed in 2007, and an engine mount, transmission mount, and the center driveshaft-support bearing were replaced in October 2018.

Open to offers.

Enjoy the road.

Richard
[email protected]
703-577-4524

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good luck Richard, but please don't pretend that your car is anywhere near a #2 car, the flaws are many and easily seen, even on photos.
Why is there spray (and overspray) all over the engine compartment, and the rest of the car?

Roman596061

Reaction score
Robert,

The entire exterior has been addressed, the car has a new engine and I've been offered more than a #3 priced car.

I removed the rustoleum protecting from the undercarraige and the engine bay on Saturday, as some believed that I was hiding rust.

I even took pictures under the rear seats, as someone asked my AFTER the sale, why I didn't post such and questioned my time as a concours judge, as he said such is a standard review in a concours event.

I advised that we never had time or the authority to remove such during the events and such doesn't occur at Pebble Beach or Amelia Island, etc.

I lived in northern VA for 30 years but I rarely took my car out in the winter.

Even so, each spring, I would remove the wheels and spray with rubber spray anti-rust products.

I'd love to see and hear about your e9 and e3 @ [email protected].

Thanks

Richard

Roman596061

Reaction score
Good luck Richard, but please don't pretend that your car is anywhere near a #2 car, the flaws are many and easily seen, even on photos.
Why is there spray (and overspray) all over the engine compartment, and the rest of the car?
Robert,

e9Coupe forum rules for ads and responses:

Comments must be made in a constructive manner!

No bashing will be tolerated.

Opinions need to be kept to a minimum in the classified area.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Richard,

I wished you good luck, pointed out that it isn't a #2 car as can be seen on your photos, and asked a question (to which I didn't get an answer) :)

If you want to see and hear about my cars, just click the links in my signature. They are both #3 cars.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Robert,

e9Coupe forum rules for ads and responses:

Comments must be made in a constructive manner!

No bashing will be tolerated.

Opinions need to be kept to a minimum in the classified area.
Those guidelines were followed in my book. You should expect questions about any vehicle posted for sale anywhere.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
1626203926643.png

Roman596061

Reaction score
Robert,

I answered your question.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" with those with a full cup of water.

105 likes and loves on FB.

Comments on my car:

• Well, overall it’s nice car in a great color scheme that will make a buyer proud. GLWTAT Beautiful e9 example. See lots of care taken to bring out the best.
  • Overall this looks like a great car.
  • Beautiful e9 example. See lots of care taken to bring out the best.
  • I like these in just about any color, but this combination hits it out of the park.
  • This beauty looks almost sinister… love it.
  • E9 Dreams!……If the recent history of sales here on BAT are any indication of potential for a superior condition E9, this one will go over 6 figures.
  • Beautiful CS!
  • The Darth Vader of Bimmer madness. GLWS.
  • Truly a beautiful automobile & GLWTA
  • Well, overall it’s nice car in a great color scheme that will make a buyer proud. GLWTA
  • To me, this is a nice driver with a fresh motor and a whole lot of other nice
  • This is a very striking car. Lots to like and will be a great car to drive. I find a lot to like here.
  • Truly a beautiful automobile & GLWTA.
  • Great stewardship and documentation of the work under your ownership.
  • This certainly appears to be a great 3.0 CS.
  • Hello Intrepid, its a beautiful car!
  • Beautiful Bimmer
  • This certainly appears to be a great 3.0 CS.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Richard, Your car of course has many pluses.

But if you want your price, I would pull the engine back out, get new firewall insulation, refinish the parts that were hit by paint, like the wiper mechanism, relays, brake booster etc. blast the paint off the valve cover gasket, carbs, etc. Engine compartment detailing is fun and potentially rewarding.

For the interior, I would ditch those coco mats, since the original carpet looks pretty good, and redo the dash and dash wood.

If you are retired, it could be a fun project. If you are not retired, you may not have the time or inclination, and then you may want to work with your high bidder on BaT.

Black is a rare color, 5 speed and AC is nice, as is the hotrod engine.

GLWTS.

Roman596061

Reaction score
Hi Richard, Your car of course has many pluses.

But if you want your price, I would pull the engine back out, get new firewall insulation, refinish the parts that were hit by paint, like the wiper mechanism, relays, brake booster etc. blast the paint off the valve cover gasket, carbs, etc. Engine compartment detailing is fun and potentially rewarding.

For the interior, I would ditch those coco mats, since the original carpet looks pretty good, and redo the dash and dash wood.

If you are retired, it could be a fun project. If you are not retired, you may not have the time or inclination, and then you may want to work with your high bidder on BaT.

Black is a rare color, 5 speed and AC is nice, as is the hotrod engine.

GLWTS.
Craterface,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I'm not pulling the engine but I'll clean up the areas that you addressed.

The value cover and wiper arms were powder coated in 2014.

Agreed, that the Coco mats should go - tonight.

The original carpeting is an great shape, so I'll just clean them.

The front seats have been removed, cleaned and leather restorer and cleaner has been applied (see pics).

I love the Schwartz color, as it's not that common with the offset Epsilon black and silver wheels vs. the common practice of Alpina wheels.

I'm not retired.

Richard

driver seat.jpg
passen seat.jpg
front no seats2.jpg
front no seats.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Richard - You may want to consider the fact that there may be people in the world who know more about coupes than you do, that some of these people may congregate on a forum called e9coupe.com, and that there may be some merit to the comments that these people make about your car.

Dismissing factual comments about your car's negatives as "bashing" does not make your car look better. If you address the specific comments that are made directly, we will all be able to evaluate what was said. If the facts are on your side, we will all be able to see this. If your car does indeed need improvement, well, then your car needs improvement in order to get the price you are seeking.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Craterface,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

The value cover and wiper arms were powder coated in 2014.

Richard

Hi @Roman596061,

My intention is not to poke your car with a stick. I already did that exhaustively in the other thread prior to you joining. I don’t usually do that, but in this case the perception of the car in the listing did not match reality in a way that was rather perplexing.

This example below is only intended to highlight the confusing nature of your perception of the bay. You mention that the valve cover was powder coated in 2014. Powder coated parts are removed from the motor, coated via electrostatic sprayer, and baked.

Your valve cover may be powder coated, but it is also rattle-canned the same color silver as your suspension components. Furthermore, a now-delaminated decorative sticker or paint was applied to the valve cover roundel and subsequently coated in silver paint. You can see the peeling at 6AM of the roundel, and a missing chunk at 12pm. The silver paint oversprayed to the plug wires and plug guide tube, indicating that the paint was applied directly to the long block.

33BDB07F-5A9D-4F73-AC14-E7CD4FF08B02.jpeg

You are commenting to a bunch of long-time e9 owners and/or enthusiasts who know these vehicle better than anyone. I recommend that you at least concede to the relevant observations whether you intend to rectify or not. You don’t need to do anything to your car, but the advice provided will help to make it more marketable. You can’t equate facebook likes of 15’ exterior photos of your e9 to true market demand or eval of your car’s condition.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Furthermore, a now-delaminated decorative sticker or paint was applied to the valve cover roundel and subsequently coated in silver paint.
Hard to say. I think we all agree it's not right, but it may be an old paint job that's gone bad, or, what does powder coating look like when it goes bad? In my opinion, any classic car has a value up their perspective scale first based on how solid, straight and complete the car is. To move into the upper end of value it's all about attention to detail.

Roman596061

Reaction score
Hi @Roman596061,

My intention is not to poke your car with a stick. I already did that exhaustively in the other thread prior to you joining. I don’t usually do that, but in this case the perception of the car in the listing did not match reality in a way that was rather perplexing.

This example below is only intended to highlight the confusing nature of your perception of the bay. You mention that the valve cover was powder coated in 2014. Powder coated parts are removed from the motor, coated via electrostatic sprayer, and baked.

Your valve cover may be powder coated, but it is also rattle-canned the same color silver as your suspension components. Furthermore, a now-delaminated decorative sticker or paint was applied to the valve cover roundel and subsequently coated in silver paint. You can see the peeling at 6AM of the roundel, and a missing chunk at 12pm. The silver paint oversprayed to the plug wires and plug guide tube, indicating that the paint was applied directly to the long block.

View attachment 122937

You are commenting to a bunch of long-time e9 owners and/or enthusiasts who know these vehicle better than anyone. I recommend that you at least concede to the relevant observations whether you intend to rectify or not. You don’t need to do anything to your car, but the advice provided will help to make it more marketable. You can’t equate facebook likes of 15’ exterior photos of your e9 to true market demand or eval of your car’s condition.
Marcos,

I never stated and I never will that I'm an expert on e9's.

I appreciate each constructive suggestions or improvements.

I've own this for 17 years and while not perfect, the body is solid, the engine is new (see attached pics), along with rechromed bumpers, starter, brakes, tires, etc, etc.

While its nice to have a pretty engine bay, I believe it's more important that it starts and that it runs so well and has 6,000 miles on it.

https://youtu.be/5pUKsrsn8ug using gears 3, 2 and 3

https://youtu.be/e0xMoP81wlM using gears 1, 2 and 3

https://youtu.be/Lxmah3PdnuE using gears 3, 4 and 5

https://youtu.be/e9HEkc8qwuQ using gears 2 and 3

It would be nice to have some compliments vs. picking over a 48 year car, in which I believe I've been a good caretaker.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ocapjt2cP_MN2B9bM_4Fgqe1JHFNYYWs

My FB like/loves had a link to well over a hundred pics on the Google drive listed above.

It runs and looks great and people come over to see it, when I park it while running errands.

It certainly is not a class #4 car.

Again, thanks for your inputs, which I'll make to the car.

Richard

161470092004b3b9d7deng7.jpg
1614700916004d917eng6.jpg
16147009099171f2c3956eng4.jpg
16147009139171f2c3956eng5.jpg
161470089862975a104b3b9d7deng1.jpg
161470090520004eng3.jpg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
One of the best color combos, and many the highly desired upgrades.

It would be nice to have some compliments vs. picking over a 48 year car, in which I believe I've been a good caretaker.

The comments in this thread look like constructive criticism by experts rather than unsubstantiated bashing. IOW, people here mean you well when they tell you how to raise the value of your car.

Me? I’ll take constructive criticism every time over someone admiring my attire but not telling me my fly is open.

To reiterate what others have said: the overall presentation of the car gives the impression of very sloppy workmanship. The bones may be great, but the finishes spoil the overall effect.

And there are compliments in these posts … if you chose to see them.

GLWTS
John

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
One more thing, some cars are most loved mainly for their driving experience (Peugeot 205gti), others mostly for their beauty (pontoon 220 cabriolet).

E9’s are valued mostly for their appearance, IMHO. Thus a cosmetically great E9 with clear proof of no rust (Craterface) will do better than a scruffy looking E9 with undocumented rust situation and loads of desirable options.

Fix the cosmetics, photo document rust prone areas and you might have a >$100k car.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Another problem is the internet. She has a long memory and one that is easy to search. In particular this car since you have plugged it so much. It is easy to see what the car didn’t sell for. The problem with public auctions is that everyone now knows what the highest bid was and that is now the benchmark for your car. It’s documented and so are the remarks. The market has spoken.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I am going to stick to my rules, find the positive or say nothing

Let me think how can I be positive about this car, well I suppose I should say "congratulations" for getting somebody to bid $53k on BAT recently for this car, that is amazing and you should be heartedly congratulated, amazing job, well done.

On another positive note, you say you are a concours judge, how very interesting ? I see you also throw Pebble Beach and Amelia Island about as references in your comments, would love to know your experiences in these seriously prestigious events.

Below is the recent BAT posting for anybody who missed it

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-bmw-3-0cs-47/

Last edited: