1970 2800CS restoration

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
again something strange... after overhauling the calipers i wanted to bleed the system... but i only get oil from the upper drivers side piston ! even with 2 bar feed on the reservoir. Nothing on the lower pistons nor rear .... I will have a try by pressure feeding oil from below and sucking away ( dirt ? ) in the reservoir . Perhaps some dirt after 3 years standing still ???

any tricks or suggestions ?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
yes Keshav, i know..... but i have my doubts how to install such big item and keeping it water tight ?? i'm afraid it just is a possibility more to trap moisture that never drys out ? even with the gasket around... i see it on the rallycar , ok, it's old , but the splash shield gasket doesn't follow the fender contour at all , i can see trought the edge ! ... i will make a plate that "fits" and seal it off with some elastic filler.... yes, for removing i will have to cut that first.

such shields do more bad than good if not 100% water tight .... as long you drive in rain ofcourse :D
after every rally i high pressure clean the hole underside.... mud everywhere. At least i'm sure i have everything off....behind those shields you cannot see anything nor clean it .... let alone it drys out .... ?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Agreed, but it would still keep the majority of the dirt out and the pounding of rocks and debri. Possibly a better fasteners system to remove and reinstall the Lokaris might suit your purpose better. There is also a plastic Volvo version although I don’t recall exactly which model it came off.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i know that possibility.... but tryed everything this evening , vacuum down and up, pressure down and up etc... even 8 bar air pressure from above i don't get it at the calipers bleeds ! Very strange.. would collapsed flex hoses stop 8 bar air pressure ??

and to be complete fun , with 2 bar oil feed on the reservoir a hose from that got off... i think i must not make a drawing of the engine bay :D

i sprayed everything with brake cleaner and blowed it down to the floor with air pressure. Left the garage , more tomorrow :mad:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
another thought.... i have a simple cheap set of a container brake fluid which i can feed air pressure 2 bars connected to the reservoir... but for the 850i i used a prof unit from my dealer... also 2 bars but if i'm not wrong , this one gives a pulsating pressure to get the damn thing bleed.

I suspect the double master ??... there's a valve in there to work between pressures of the seperated circuits ?? Single masters work or not .

bmw2002

Reaction score
Barry,
Replace the hoses first. They can be completely blocked. I have spare ones lying around. Come and see me in Herzele. Or go to Johan in Kuurne if that is closer to you. He might have some lying around as well... You can contact me on [email protected]
Tom

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Thanks Tom ! i will first demount mine and see if they are blocked .... if not i check the steel lines ... and so on.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
yes, indeed flex hose blocked ! i had my doubts as they look "new"..... i could easy free them up with a TIG weld rod in the drill and cleaned them... now i have oil everywhere :D

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i changed cars on the lift to prepare the red car for within 2 weeks rally. ( sure new brake pads and want to route the exhaust higher at the front were the headers come down as i'm touching ground there sometimes )
So time for a pic as they were both outside .
Those could have seen eachother at the factory in 1970 ! :)

SAM_2381.JPG
SAM_2383.JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
strange dinner this evening.... :D

SAM_2413.JPG

the red car last rally runs a bit warmer than normal ... water level is perfect. So i will change thermostat , here i have seen that the new opens a bit quicker than the old one... ( both type 80 degrees )

Last could be sensor/gauge..... let's hope not "engine" ....

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
as i'm waiting for parts ( new brakes for the red car who's again on the lift keeping it occupied ) i began on the blue car with painting some black accents... i don't like the blue color that much ... sure not with chrome details. So the center of the wheels become black , as the hood vents and side grilles. This way i will like it more :D

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
just out of curiosity... i replaced the front lights with Euro type ones .. with the "E" label. But you guys also drive on the right side ... so i wonder what's the difference ? all ours have bulbs, the ones on the car were sealed ... is this standard or coincidence on my imported coupe ??

SAM_2426.JPG
SAM_2427.JPG

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sealed beams were (are still perhaps?) mandatory in the US. In all of Europe, also the UK, the lamps need the E approval letter. The smaller number next to the "E" indicates which country issued the approval certificate; e.g. E1 = Germany.
So in essence, they belong to the car as your's is a US Spec E9.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
no importance Erik , but that was changed to US specs....as it was a Italy delivered car when new.

so far i have found

- US spec lights
- US side reflectors
- US bumper inside reinforcements
- some US coins... and even a Italian 100 lire ! :D
- alot of US cassettes... with country music. :)

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
think i found some pic... i miss some plates there :(
View attachment 39923
Barry,
looking at the pics from your previous post #35 (missing inner fender pieces) these are the parts that have gone "missing in action" in your car. I would think that they are quite essential for the integrity of the car, as the largest of the missing parts is holding up one side of the plate that mounts the strut.

upload_2018-3-8_12-5-36.png

41/02/09 should be in the left upper corner of the wheel house, above the splash shield that Steve has in his hands in post #36.

upload_2018-3-8_12-7-28.png

41/03/04 should be vertically mounted, with the thin end pointing to the front.

upload_2018-3-8_12-10-42.png

41/03/00 is the part that goes ( I think horizontally) between the 41/03/04, the a pillar, and the strut mounting . it effectively creates the bottom of the box that catches a lot of sand/water/dirt etc through the opening in 41/03/04.

Mind you that in the black and white pic you posted, there is a vertical part shown, that was invented by someone. It is not supposed to be there. Probably hand made to keep sand and stones filling the cavities up there.
Secondly, another part seems to have been invented by the previous owner. I think that the strut mounting is welded to a self fabricated vertical piece that sits where 41/03/04 should be. The 41/03/04 should also be welded at it complete top edge to the inner fender. The self fabricated piece just extends upwards to a short flange; it is not as strong as OEM construction.

I wouldn't drive the blue car like you likely drive your rally car. I would think that if you hit a pothole hard enough, that your strut would bend out of location as it is only 75% supported...

i'll try to dig up a better pic of a correct assembled car.