1970 2800CS restoration

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Thanks alot Chris !!!
@teahead... i recall those plugs were for paint drainage ( dipping the car ? ) ... so no need at all afterwords in restoration. I think ?

it is/was also the first place where those bottom plates started to rust... a very poor sealing .

Last edited:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
OK, we have some bottom plates to play with over the weekend ....
SAM_2341.JPG

also overhauled the calipers with new pistons&seals... only some paint to add...
SAM_2342.JPG

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well...so it doesn't LOOK like new floors when you're done, perhaps cut the holes and stick these suckers in there? Sure, they rust, but doubtful you'll drive it daily in the rain after your resto, right?

7f12556713fda041d74c371b33f4e3b6-jpg.38792

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Rob, perhaps i'm not that purist... more, i wonder, who would cut a hole in such a nice new bottom plate , just to stuck those cheap plugs in ,which have no purpose at all ???? I'm sure BMW didn't wanted them.... but needed for paint drainage ?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
prepared the bottom plates and painted the calipers this evening :)
Tomorrow more rust cleaning and painting before welding on Sunday .....

SAM_2344.JPG
SAM_2346 (1).JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i bought at W&N a thermostat house to have also a extra threaded connection on/off switch for a electric cooling fan. I didn't thought to need the thermostat cover piece.... till i demounted it and ... there was some white "powder" build up inside ... cleaned it to see a hole !! that was not far from a leak.... lucky it was just under the clamp i suppose... :eek:

SAM_2347.JPG

SAM_2351.JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
stupid of me.... now i realize i threw away a perfect front & rear bumper in 2013 building my rally car.... :mad:
when i see the prices of new ones....

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
voilà , bottom plates welded in and some primer while everything still "clean" .
To do now is bottom filler and coating.

again good for many years :D

SAM_2358.JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Thanks NONO88 ! did we speak ? i remember someone at the start who had also a CS ...
did you participate or spectator there ?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Now i know NONO88 ! great work on your CS , congrats !
I just didn't see the link with your username "NONO88" .

I drove with my wife as in 2014 and 2016 in the class "Ballade" , as she cannot navigate as experts. But this year 2017 was way to difficult for her .... not so the years before ! Now alot of carthographs... was a bit pitty they changed that much. I wonder what the difference was with experts class !
Alot "amateur" copilots were not happy.... so i am afraid 2018 will have less cars .
Most rallys i drive with a expert copilot but "Routes des Vosges" was always a family weekend ....

this is 2014
routesdesvoges2014 044.JPG

this is 2016 , the CS had a broken pressure plate ... so we drove our Morgan +4
DSC_0512.JPG
DSC_0625.JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
now i'm confused :)

i bought the splash shields from W&N and found them that little ??... presented them.... to see i'm obvious short of a piece up there ? The fixing screws match but what part is missing above ? is it a W&N number ?

SAM_2377.JPG
SAM_2378.JPG

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes it looks like you may be missing some inner fender pieces there, here are pics of mine when I removed a couple years ago, there is also a gasket that goes around the left side of the covering plate. I removed mine, waxoiled the hell out of the space behind, then sealed them back up with a small drain at the bottom just in case.

fbc1546f0eaaa1f9a2aa501bc21de061._.jpg

c7854766741061b33e03de500b0699e8._.jpg

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
ok , i'm missing some inner plates thanks a former restoration .... don't think , with fenders on , i can still place/weld them now . I will see to customise the splash shields to cover te hole part , keeping the A pillars "dry". :)