Want to add AC to a non AC 71 CSi-is it possible?

Bwana

Reaction score
And how much weight can possibly be added with the complete A/C system? Surely not 200#, the weight of one of our more "robust" members? Even with the old York compressor, I'd guess the whole assembly including hoses, evaporator, and expansion box can't be more than 100#?

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
weight...

you're probably close at about 100lbs all in- pretty much 100% over the front axle so when removed it make some difference in balance- I know when you move the battery to the trunk you can feel the difference (about the same effective change in balance).

Bwana

Reaction score
I do have a box with all the parts that I saved. I know I have all the interior parts...somewhere. I will search for them this weekend. If I am successful maybe I'll offer them up, you guys have got me thinking they are desirable enough to contribute to my "Wheel purchase fund".

Dave L

Did you ever get up into the attic and rummage around for these parts?

Dave L

Reaction score
AC Parts

I did get a hour of so of search time in. I found the box that contained the major interior parts. I laid them out in the garage but have not taken pics yet. I found the face plate and sides of the AC console, the little plastic covers for the vents on the side of the console, the big fan/condenser unit that sits behind the radio space in the console, and one of the pre-bent tubes that comes from that unit.

Another interesting find was that I was going through the two volume shop manual that I have and there is a chapter for A/C installation. There is a step by step process with photos for each step. I was thinking that might be handy for anyone who does not have access to these manuals.

Dave L

Zulu

Reaction score
Hey Max....that's my car! Haha. I am actually driving the 91 M5 to my builder in WA right now, well not this very minute, but getting ready to deliver it tomorrow. The M5 is a beast, but not for long as that beautiful motor will be yanked shortly (entire driveline actually) and grafted into "our" CS. Yes, I know I am butcher, a murderer, whatever her fate has been sealed. All this talk about AC...I plan to yank the M5 AC and put that in the CS as well. It works so perfect. My biggest decision is group 4, or stealth street....undecided as of yet. As far as the ride height, the CS will be getting coil overs to get it low. Might have to tub it a little to get some big rubber under the back if I keep the slab side look. Will have Kodiak take your BBS wheels and add outer barrels another couple inches wider.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 87

Zulu

Reaction score
Max, the reason for my post (other than say hello to you with an update) is there will obviously be a lot of parts that I will not use. Motor, gearbox, rearend, the engine pieces for the AC, etc. My plan is to use only the interior bits on the CS and use everything else from the M5. Your "carl" cutdown springs, etc. Not sure if any of the bits will be of use to your project, but worth keeping in mind...

maxg765

Reaction score
Max, the reason for my post (other than say hello to you with an update) is there will obviously be a lot of parts that I will not use. Motor, gearbox, rearend, the engine pieces for the AC, etc. My plan is to use only the interior bits on the CS and use everything else from the M5. Your "carl" cutdown springs, etc. Not sure if any of the bits will be of use to your project, but worth keeping in mind...

Hi Zulu,

Very nice M5 engine. Looks very similar to my M6 with its S38. Poor M5, no more heart.

I will keep it in mind should i not be able to source a complete system.

I am sure you will keep the forum posted on the CS build-right...?

Thanks and have fun with the CS once its completed.

Regards

Max