Tygaboy's '74 - An Update/Improve Effort

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This should probably be an FAQ article:

The front of the coupe needs good rubber seals around the fresh air plenum, both of these are in front of the windshield. Also critical are the two rubber drain snorkels and the rubber blanking plugs in front of the hood latch mechanisms. This area needs to airtight from the engine bay.

The trunk needs a good rubber seal as well as a good o-ring seal on the fuel level sending unit. Also, the pipe on the sender uses a plastic sleeve so that the 8mm fuel hose is tight to the pipe. The one that many ignore is the gas tank venting system. On US coupes the gas tank filler pipe has a hose that goes to the fuel vapor catchment tank on the right side wheel arch. From there a blue plastic line runs on the right side of the car and emerges in the engine bay in front of the passenger. From there it goes to the charcoal canister under the battery and then to the bottom of the air cleaner. There are four places where 6mm fuel hose is used between the plastic pipes and the hard points. Vacuum from the air cleaner draws fuel vapors contained in the trunk’s tank through the filter and into the engine. Even when a coupe is converted to FI it is good to have this system remain intact. The trunk seal prevents exhaust gases from being sucked into the trunk and into the passenger compartment while driving.

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This should indeed be in a separate FAQ. Until it is so I’d like to add that on top of the “original equipment seals“ mentioned above, there are the old age/owner abuse points that create opportunities for gas fumes to get in the cabin:
- Speaker holes in the rear parcel shelf. If those are not sealed properly by the speaker or if the speakers are damaged or removed that creates a direct opening into the trunk
- There are several holes in the firewall through which wires or connecting rods pass through. Over time these disintegrate and create opportunities for fumes to pass through:
- The grommets through which wires pass through the firewall on the drivers side are often perished.
- The pedal box has a few areas with rods passing through potentially deteriorated grommets
- On fuel injected cars the DME wires pass-through on the right side. Another leak opportunity

tygaboy

Reaction score
"...the speaker holes in the rear parcel shelf...!"
(I read this in Jerry Seinfeld's voice.) :p

Totally forgot about those. Even with speakers, that can't help.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This should indeed be in a separate FAQ. Until it is so I’d like to add that on top of the “original equipment seals“ mentioned above, there are the old age/owner abuse points that create opportunities for gas fumes to get in the cabin:
- Speaker holes in the rear parcel shelf. If those are not sealed properly by the speaker or if the speakers are damaged or removed that creates a direct opening into the trunk
- There are several holes in the firewall through which wires or connecting rods pass through. Over time these disintegrate and create opportunities for fumes to pass through:
- The grommets through which wires pass through the firewall on the drivers side are often perished.
- The pedal box has a few areas with rods passing through potentially deteriorated grommets
- On fuel injected cars the DME wires pass-through on the right side. Another leak opportunity
Your wish is my command!

tygaboy

Reaction score
My coupe went from a 3.0 to a 3.5, a near 17% increase. If my wife and I keep driving it to fun eateries, I fear my waist line will soon do the same! :p
This morning, it was a run to Point Reyes Station for a scone and coffee breakfast.
IMG_5564.JPG

tygaboy

Reaction score
Another stop at the top of Wilson Hill on a special day: June 10th my Mom's b-day! She was raised in Petaluma and though she didn't live here past college, she always thought of it as her home. So when she died, we decided to scatter some of her ashes atop Wilson Hill, to give her a forever view of the area she so loved. It's a special place for me. So now you know why you're likely to see many pics in this location - I always stop here to say "Hi" to Mom.

IMG_5566.JPG

tygaboy

Reaction score
Fame - within a week of being back on the road! A pic of my car is gracing the latest Breakfast Club Rally announcement email! I noticed the photographer shooting pics of my car but had no idea I'd "win". Not that I'm surprised they selected the most beautiful model car in attendance... :love:

Capture.JPG

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Petaluma to Fairfax is closer than ever. I'll try to make this and join you.

On a side note, I'm constantly impressed with the marketing quality and thoroughness of BCR's "product". Especially when you consider it's all free and a product of passion.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pretty cool!

which airdam are you going with?

I like (and ordered) the Zaprace one w/the ducts instead of the holes.

img00413-20140107-1032-jpg.28524

Last edited:

tygaboy

Reaction score
How is that smell issue you mentioned earlier going?
Still happens but I haven't yet done anything about it. I need to address a few things: rust hole in the spare tire well, trunk seal not positioned correctly (glued in too low), plug holes in the rear seat wall, fix rust hole in driver side rear floor...