Tygaboy's '74 - An Update/Improve Effort

tygaboy

Reaction score
Just out running errands. Nothing beats an E9 for making a quick grocery run!
IMG_5534.JPG

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice looking ride. Must be fun now that it is all dialed-in.

And if it's pre-repaint, nice to be able to not worry too much about the exterior to go and get groceries.

tygaboy

Reaction score
I can't stay out of this car! This morning it was a drive through west Petaluma with my lovely wife, then to brunch downtown. Where will we go next?
And is it any wonder we in the 914 world call our late model cars "BUBS" (Big, Ugly Bumpers)? They really are less than attractive. The euros will be on soon, I promise.
IMG_5551.JPG

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@tygaboy - Knowing you got rid of a more modern ride for your wife, how does she like it?

As much as you drive it and as gushing as your comments are, I'm wondering if she'll ever get a chance behind the wheel! ;)

tygaboy

Reaction score
@tygaboy - Knowing you got rid of a more modern ride for your wife, how does she like it?

As much as you drive it and as gushing as your comments are, I'm wondering if she'll ever get a chance behind the wheel! ;)
@tferrer Tyson - She has no interest in driving. I got the PDK in the 911 hoping she'd drive but she's happy as pie to be a passenger. As to how she likes it, everything is good but the smell of exhaust. I don't know if it's "the newness" burning off the engine, remnants of the crap that's in the exhaust system from the old, blown head gasket, previous engine, or if it's running a bit rich. I do need to figure it out and do something about it. Happy wife, and all that.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@tferrer Tyson - She has no interest in driving. I got the PDK in the 911 hoping she'd drive but she's happy as pie to be a passenger. As to how she likes it, everything is good but the smell of exhaust. I don't know if it's "the newness" burning off the engine, remnants of the crap that's in the exhaust system from the old, blown head gasket, previous engine, or if it's running a bit rich. I do need to figure it out and do something about it. Happy wife, and all that.
I'm not sure what the exhaust temps are like on your new motor but I know some of the 911 guys running built motors will use a cat to reduce some of the smell. I've heard good outcomes but I haven't seen it first hand.

tygaboy

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the exhaust temps are like on your new motor but I know some of the 911 guys running built motors will use a cat to reduce some of the smell. I've heard good outcomes but I haven't seen it first hand.
Great minds - I was thinking I'd like to add a cat and started researching it earlier today. I'll update as I decide what, if anything, I'll do.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
I can't stay out of this car! This morning it was a drive through west Petaluma with my lovely wife, then to brunch downtown. Where will we go next?
And is it any wonder we in the 914 world call our late model cars "BUBS" (Big, Ugly Bumpers)? They really are less than attractive. The euros will be on soon, I promise. View attachment 142389
I agree that generally the euro bumpers are better looking, and as it was originally designed. However, the e9 was never that terrible looking with the USA design. I think that the beautiful lines and proportioning of the body are the overwhelming focus. As such they don’t look as bad to me as others have. Most notably the e21, 3 series.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
I’ve run racing cats on several of my cars and it really reduces the smell considerably. I guess I’d consider myself a green gear head. I’ve noticed little in the way of performance loss. A worthy investment for our plant and my nose

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lots of paint and anti seize to cook on a new engine.

you really need to have the blower fan on all the time in a coupe.
just a bit to keep exhaust from creeping into cabin

tygaboy

Reaction score
First "back road blast" drive - all under 4k RPM, per @sfdon . Petaluma, west up Wilson Hill (pics taken at the top), over the Marshall wall then up Hwy 1 to Tomales and back home. A mix of quite twisty/bumpy and smooth, more flowing. I won't do anything until I get more seat time and get to better know it, but it feels a bit soft on mid-corner bumps. Other than that? What a LOVELY car! A few little things need addressing but nothing that prevents enjoying the crap out of this beauty. Drive your coupes, my friends!
IMG_5558.JPG

IMG_5559.JPG

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
First "back road blast" drive - all under 4k RPM, per @sfdon . Petaluma, west up Wilson Hill (pics taken at the top), over the Marshall wall then up Hwy 1 to Tomales and back home. A mix of quite twisty/bumpy and smooth, more flowing. I won't do anything until I get more seat time and get to better know it, but it feels a bit soft on mid-corner bumps. Other than that? What a LOVELY car! A few little things need addressing but nothing that prevents enjoying the crap out of this beauty. Drive your coupes, my friends!
View attachment 142428

View attachment 142429
I've stopped in that exact spot more than a few times. Looks great. When that rear end settles it'll be perfect.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
@tferrer Tyson - .....everything is good but the smell of exhaust. I don't know if it's "the newness" burning off the engine, remnants of the crap that's in the exhaust system from the old, blown head gasket, previous engine, or if it's running a bit rich. I do need to figure it out and do something about it. Happy wife, and all that.

My car had quite some bad exhaust smell, and it turned out to be two things; bad sealing exhaust system and it was missing the two rubber water drain tubes in the firewall partition near the hood release hooks, just left and right of the intake of the heater. If these rubber hoses are missing, the you'll be sucking in whatever air is going through the engine compartment.

It's these ones:
1654783565797.png

Last edited:

tygaboy

Reaction score
My car had quite some bad exhaust smell, and it turned out to be two things; bad sealing exhaust system and it was missing the two rubber water drain tubes in the firewall partition near the hood release hooks, just left and right of the intake of the heater. If these rubber hoses are missing, the you'll be sucking in whatever air is going through the engine compartment.

It's these ones:
View attachment 142499
Thanks for the pointers. @sfdon ensured both drain tube rubbers were replaced with new so it's not that. I hardly notice the smell, but my wife has a more sensitive nose than I. I'm going to keep adding miles and see if it's just the newness of everything. I'll certainly check other potential things along the way and will update as I learn more. Thanks again for the input!