So I painted my center grille black today...

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wayne, that looks great!

I redid mine with electrical tape, I took the time to cover each slat completely. Came out really well.

IMG_4541.JPG

Philippe db

Reaction score
I stick to my Chrome grills simply because that is how they left the factory and for me nothing beats authenticity. 14 year ago I painted the grills on my 530d black. Back then I was one of the first doing this to a BMW at least here in Belgium. Now everybody is doing it,it even became a BMW factory option, and that is the reason to keep the ones on my M550d in chrome.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm a beat up pitted chrome guy myself but I'm impressed by the work you guys did. I've had trouble with the ends of the fins breaking off when you straighten them to removed them from the frame on some 2002 grilles. If I did mine I'd go the tape or paint in place route...

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a 73 euro car I am restoring, the grill has black slats. RealOem for this year lists the same grill as all other years, US and Euro so I remain confused by this car once again. Was black ever stock or did someone paint mine?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is it painted or annodized? CSL's were annodized black so if so you've struck gold. If it's painted then it was once silver.

I have a 73 euro car I am restoring, the grill has black slats. RealOem for this year lists the same grill as all other years, US and Euro so I remain confused by this car once again. Was black ever stock or did someone paint mine?

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
All the 5 slats I have seen have been silver! On all models If they were black from the factory it was not paint it was plastic.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
All the 5 slats I have seen have been silver! On all models If they were black from the factory it was not paint it was plastic.

Hi Tony,

FYI - OEM five slat black grilles are aluminum. Take a look at any 3.0 CSL.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Tony,
FYI - OEM five slat black grilles are aluminum. Take a look at any 3.0 CSL.
Thanks Markos
I learned something today!
Is it paint or Anodising that gives them the color ? The only CSL I have seen close by was in an auction 4 years ago. Back then I did not have enough knowledge/intrest to check for that...

Appreciate you !

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
CSL were annodized black. Later 4 slat grills were black plastic. I recently annodized mine black because I got tired of touching up the paint.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
1973 German Market CS.....4 slats that are plastic, I feel cheated but assume this is original since all the rest of the car is.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
1973 German Market CS.....4 slats that are plastic, I feel cheated but assume this is original since all the rest of the car is.

If it’s a very late 73, it possibly falls under the face lift, in which case the 4 Black plastic slats kidney is correct.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OE 4 plastic slats on mine as well.
1975 Csi german spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct kidney Grill on your car. All the face lift cars have the 4 Black plastic slats grills.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is a lot written about the pre and after facelift cars. Search for the key words and you are sure to find a lot of interesting info which you can compare to your car.