So I painted my center grille black today...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like the look of the CSL chrome grille with black inserts so looking for a coupe-related project I disassembled the pieces of my grille today and painted/reassembled. Since my car is silver I think the black inserts make the kidney chrome pop more. If I change my mind it's reversible.

After:
IMG-20111106-00001.jpg

Before:
Garage.jpg

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good move. I like it better black. Next project can be to glue the silver metal circles in the center of your rally headlights (a la Cibie).

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agreed! Black kidney grills look better than the cheesy looking anodized aluminum grills which usually become very dull looking with age. They give the coupes a "more modern" appearance and in particular, the painted 5 slat grills. Had BMW made a full chromed grill for the CS to compliment the beautiful chromed front bumper, then I would probably feel otherwise.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had to pull up shots of my car to see if mine was painted like your's. Yes it is.
I like it.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I took out the grille and removed the bars - they slide in to a slot in the bottom and have a metal tab that is bent to secure them in the top slot. You have to bend the tabs straignt and they will slide out with some encouragement. Then I used Meguiars aluminum polish on the frame to get the 40 years of haze off and I must say that stuff works well on it. I re-fit each bar, tweaking/bending accordingly so as to minimize scratching on reassembly. Then I cleaned the bars and sprayed them with Krylon metal/plastic paint in black satin. Must be super carefull putting back together because the edges are sharp and the paint can scrape off going into the slots.

Time will tell if I will keep it, I am torn between the new look and keeping it original.

Looks great,what was your process and what paint did you use?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I took out the grille and removed the bars - they slide in to a slot in the bottom and have a metal tab that is bent to secure them in the top slot. You have to bend the tabs straignt and they will slide out with some encouragement. Then I used Meguiars aluminum polish on the frame to get the 40 years of haze off and I must say that stuff works well on it. I re-fit each bar, tweaking/bending accordingly so as to minimize scratching on reassembly. Then I cleaned the bars and sprayed them with Krylon metal/plastic paint in black satin. Must be super carefull putting back together because the edges are sharp and the paint can scrape off going into the slots.

Time will tell if I will keep it, I am torn between the new look and keeping it original.

I'm going to do mine with electrical tape...has the right sheen, it doesn't chip and is easily reversible.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good idea, you may have an issue getting the bars back in the slots with the thickness of the tape coming into play but let us know the result.

I'm going to do mine with electrical tape...has the right sheen, it doesn't chip and is easily reversible.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good idea, you may have an issue getting the bars back in the slots with the thickness of the tape coming into play but let us know the result.

Here's mine done with electrical tape applied to the front of the slats and trimmed on the edges. Sides are still silver. I did not disassemble the grill.

Attachments

• E Tape Grill 01.jpg
    E Tape Grill 01.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 198
  • E Tape Grill 02.jpg
    E Tape Grill 02.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 200

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
i also prefer the silver look

any ideas where to buy and how to install the silver grill for center grill?

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
any ideas where to buy and how to install the silver grill for center grill?

One can buy new silver grill from BMW for a staggering price of about $400.
Remembered when I purchased about 3 of these new at about $75 each back in the late 80's and the early 1990's. Just a few short years ago, they were retailing for about $200 each.

PaulinPa

Reaction score
The nuts holding the grill on seem to seize with rust so pre-spraying with Kroil or simiilar might be helpful.Bolt can twist in its plastic mounting breaking the mount.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, I was inspired by Steve and Andrew to take this "mini" project on last week since the weather was crap again in Virginia. Like other E9 projects I get excited about and pursue too quickly, I was reminded about the constant need to improvise with most E9 repairs. I removed grille piece easily, per Steve instructions, but immediately thought about abandoning the project as each of my slates has been epoxied to the grill ring on the upper and lower sides. So they could not be removed without lots of scraping and potentially doing more damage overall. So I whipped out the 1.5" masking take I use for painting jobs and, with an exacto knife, began cutting small strips to cover the chrome areas. I also took the opportunity with some needle nose plyers to even out the spacing on the underside of the slats, but you should first wrap the tips of the plyers with masking tape so you don't scratch the slats too much when you are squeezing them or widening some in my case; this step was a big improvement for my grille as most of the slats on the back side were of varying width and evening them all out with the plyers makes the whole grille look newer, for sure. About 90 minutes of prep I was satisfied I had covered the chrome and began the first of three coats of the Krylov satin black painting in the basement. Well, it came out pretty well, actually, except for some small areas where paint bled through and got on the chrome, but those were easily removed with a plastic knife and gentle abrasion. What I'd do differently next time is to prep the black slats for paint before doing the masking job as I found traces of steel wool post paint.

Attachments

• IMG_5770.JPG
    IMG_5770.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5771.JPG
    IMG_5771.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_5769.JPG
    IMG_5769.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_5773.JPG
    IMG_5773.JPG