Seat rail Cleaning?

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
IMG_3262.jpeg

Any advice on the best way to clean these up?
Seams like they do not come apart

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
I took mine apart, sandblasted, and then zinc plated and reassembled.

The trick, or at least what I did, was to drill out the dimples that keep the balls from coming out. Think I used 1/8" drill. Then I tapped the holes and used a set screw with a dab of silicon to keep them in place. Was not an easy job but worth it in the end. I even bought replacement balls probably from McMaster-Carr.

After the holes are drilled, they might have to be filed a bit to get out the balls and rollers. I got new rubber orings for the rollers.

Hope this helps if you want to go down this road. Of course one may not choose to have them plated, if they are in good condition, just clean them up add some grease and good to go. We have the luxury to zinc plate using a Caswell Kit.

jjs2800cs

Some pics
100_6752.JPG

100_6753.JPG

100_6754.JPG

100_6763.JPG

100_6825.JPG

100_6834.JPG

100_6838.JPG

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How about a strong solvent I can wipe on and off in an hour or so and be done. 2jjs@2800cs, yours look better than factory. Beautiful job.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I took mine apart, sandblasted, and then zinc plated and reassembled.

The trick, or at least what I did, was to drill out the dimples that keep the balls from coming out. Think I used 1/8" drill. Then I tapped the holes and used a set screw with a dab of silicon to keep them in place. Was not an easy job but worth it in the end. I even bought replacement balls probably from McMaster-Carr.

After the holes are drilled, they might have to be filed a bit to get out the balls and rollers. I got new rubber orings for the rollers.

Hope this helps if you want to go down this road. Of course one may not choose to have them plated, if they are in good condition, just clean them up add some grease and good to go. We have the luxury to zinc plate using a Caswell Kit.

jjs2800cs

Some pics
View attachment 181043
View attachment 181044
View attachment 181045
View attachment 181046
View attachment 181047
View attachment 181048
View attachment 181049
How have you found the results with the plating Kit? Those look great

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
How have you found the results with the plating Kit? Those look great
I have had mostly great results with the kit. I have been zinc plating, then chromate dipping now for nearly 10 years. The key as usual is in the preparation of the parts to be plated and keeping the various solutions baths clean (especially the actual plating solution) as they do over time get contaminated.

There are several "chromate" baths that give color and protection to the freshly plated zinc coating. The most common is the yellow chromate which give the parts the cadmium plated look, that is commonly used on nuts and bolts. What we used on the seat rails is the blue coating, which actually gives the shinny silver looking finish. A black coating is also used which gives the black oxide look.

The coatings are somewhat a necessity as as I understand it, zinc coatings are sacrificial, in that they deteriorate over time. I am not a chemist or metallurgist, maybe someone can chime in here on that.

One can get as fancy or as home made with plating as one wants. I seen videos with people using a car battery and homemade solutions. A good stable constant current power supply is really necessary. They are 50 or so bucks for a 10 amp supply on amazon. The higher the capacity the more pieces one can do at a time. But I found with too many pieces in the bath sometimes do not get complete coverage on certain geometries.

One is also limited to the size of the piece, notice for the seat rails I used a plastic storage container and did them one at a time.

If one is just doing common nuts and bolts, then might be better to buy them. But is one had special brackets and hardware, that cant be replaced, then keeping them in your custody can be a real plus versus sending to a plater across town, if you can find one. DIY can be quite rewarding and if doing many pieces such as during a restoration, can save lots of money. I suppose the same thing could be said about doing one's own powder coating, which can do with an old kitchen oven.

Hope this helps.

jjs280cs

Last edited:

otter74

Reaction score
Topic not exactly what I thought it was! The rails on my passenger seat are very, very stiff. I have to use much of my body weight to slide the seat back, and the only way to move it forward is to push it from the back seat. Perhaps the rails are just full of solidified grease? I’d rather have some idea before I pull the seat out. Driver’s seat is fine.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds to me like it's full of hardened grease. Pull the rails out of the car, slide them out max, clean that side, and the umderside of the opposite end.

If it helps, but not enough, then you might need to open them to clean them further, or fully submerge them in solvent and re-lube.
One of these rat tail brushes may be helpful.

Mind you that there is a rubber ring inside the mechanism that may not cope well with solvents.