rear seats

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just an observation based on seeing several coupes with original blue leather seats at the Vintage in very good condition. My seats were the original open pore tan pigskin and I nurtured them for over 30 years but they still cracked and decomposed so I finally replaced them with new leather. I would think that based on the numerous pictures you can find of disintegrated tan leather seats that cow hide is/was far superior to pigskin. (Yes Bmachine, this should be in a separate discussion )

Doug

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The '73 e9 (Nachtblau mit tan) I drove from '75 through 1980 had the tan pigskin leather interior - lots of 'hair holes' as is obvious in pigskin. The leather wore VERY well in that car - at about 75K miles and 8 years, it was in excellent condition when sold. The car had spent the first 2 1/2 years in Boston, so the rust worms had gotten hold of the front fenders etc. by '80, so it had to leave for another home.

I've also heard that the leather was NOT pigskin, but was cowhide that had been processed to resemble pigskin. Don't know whether that is true or not!!!

Gary-