Oil Level - READING THE BOOK "the blue book"

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
probably a question to @sfdon

when replacing the oil pump with a new one i found a curious page in the mentioned booK

1697123607193.png

so does this mean that if you fit a new oil pump, you must replace the red handle dipstick with the yellow one ?

and what is more important, does this mean that you should increase your oil level in 8mm ? so you have to use a higher oil level ?

i always keep my oil level in the middle between the marks
but i have a new oil pump, and i still have my old red dipstick
i can make a mark just 8mm higher, that would not be a problem, but should i ?

should i increase my oil level in 8mm ?

thank you

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Or does the replacement oil pump have a lower volume than the original? Meaning that the same quantity of oil would rise further up the dipstick tube, which would still result in needing a new mark, just not more oil.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Or does the replacement oil pump have a lower volume than the original? Meaning that the same quantity of oil would rise further up the dipstick tube, which would still result in needing a new mark, just not more oil.

i dont think that is possible,

to my understanding, the change in the dipstick would pursue an increase in oil cuantity in any case; i mean there is not that much ammount of oil inside a pump

there might be two possible situations:

1- the geometry of the pump suction point is different, and thus the suction point in the new pump stands higher (8mm higher)
2- the geometry is the same but bmw wants more oil level there

the old version is this one:

1697130568750.png

1697130482376.png

new version has extra depth, and the carter is not valid (the case you can see in the next pic hits the bottom of the carter)

1697131436662.png

1697130604086.png

i can not understand this notice:

1697130712604.png

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A mystery

1. Might the new pump be physically bigger and displace more oil resulting in the same amount of oil still used but a higher level in the sump?

2. Is there a note to change the amount of oil to fill the sump with an oil change if the pump and the dipstick are changed?

3. If the engine can operate properly with a higher oil level in the sump, does it then make sense to use the yellow dipstick even if the pump isn't replaced?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
A mystery

1. Might the new pump be physically bigger and displace more oil resulting in the same amount of oil still used but a higher level in the sump?

2. Is there a note to change the amount of oil to fill the sump with an oil change if the pump and the dipstick are changed?

3. If the engine can operate properly with a higher oil level in the sump, does it then make sense to use the yellow dipstick even if the pump isn't replaced?

my opinions on your questions:

I DONT THINK SO;

NO, BUT IT IS A DEDUCTION OF THE DIMENSIONS SHOWN; IF THE LEVEL MARK SITS 8mm HIGHER THEN YOU MUST POUR MORE OIL

THIS IS A GOOD QUESTION, I HAVE ALWAYS HEARD NOT TO PUT MORE OIL THAN THE TOP MARK
IN MY CASE I ALWAYS TRY TO SET THE LEVEL BETWEEN THE TOP AND BOTTOM MARKS, JUST IN THE MIDDLE, SO FOR ME WITH A NEW PUMP AND IF I FOLLOW THE MANUAL, IT WOULD BE AS EASY AS SETTING OIL LEVEL AT MAXIMUM, AS THERE ARE MORE OR LESS 7/8mm BETWEEN MIDDLE AND TOP MARK

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I read that note about changing dipstick as needed when changing to the modified sump.

IF I MAY debate this, i feel that the modified sump has little to do with this

i mean the sump might be deeper, and that does not affect the level that is indicated by the dipstick

i can understand a relation between the level and the position of the suction cup

anyway @Ian C you are right:
1697149980326.png

this is my case:

1697149878575.png

and you can see the original RED dipstickhere how it looks like

1697150058278.png

a detail:

1697150096893.png

is this a correct oil level

why should i increase 8mm of oil ?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Older cars had no baffles in the oil pan causing oil starvation when turning, I found this in our 2800. All cars afterwards had the modified pump if I read this correctly.