Need an E9 for photo shoot next week Bay Area

hooptie

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Members,

Im working on a shoot for Tommy Bahama at Sea Ranch next week. Looks like we're looking for an E9 for either Wednesday or Thursday (March 18, 19). The shots are mainly of models standing around the car (no driving shots). We have the necessary insurance (liability) and I can pay you on the day.

If you're interested in a free lunch and $800 please let me know. Send me a few pics of your car. My email is tthurn4 at mac.com.

I think Sea Ranch is about 2 hours north of San Francisco.

Thanks Tom

LarryE9E10

Reaction score
Word to the wise

We all love to see our cars in the public eye. And having a photo shoot to its credit would offer killer bragging rights. But I recall the lost enthusiasm of the owner of a 2002 cabriolet who provided his car for a Katy Perry music video. He got the car back with a big hood dent where someone was posed sitting on it.

How much do you want your car to be famous?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We all love to see our cars in the public eye. And having a photo shoot to its credit would offer killer bragging rights. But I recall the lost enthusiasm of the owner of a 2002 cabriolet who provided his car for a Katy Perry music video. He got the car back with a big hood dent where someone was posed sitting on it.

How much do you want your car to be famous?

Could add value is the round dent fit Katy Perry's posterior

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How funny, I lived in Sea Ranch for 8 years. Grew up off Moonraker, first left past famous Sea Ranch Lodge, lived on Black Point Close, only house on cul-de-sac the entire time I lived there. You know what would make a great shoot is near the little church. Check it out, very wild design and totally Sea Ranch Architecture. I'll post some photos later of our e3 in from of the Sea Ranch house back in the day. Enjoy the shoot and plan on more than 2 hours from SF. It may look like that, but with the windy roads etc., plan on 2-1/2-3 with traffic. That's with no stops. Unless you have permission from an owner there to park on some of the bluff cul-de-sacs its all private, keep that in mind. Very few spaces to park on public access. But if you don't leave the cars, shouldn't be a problem, just expect to get hassled by security.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
I'd offer up my Coupe, but I'm slammed the next few weeks. Thankfully there are a ton of coupes in our area.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How funny, I lived in Sea Ranch for 8 years. Grew up off Moonraker, first left past famous Sea Ranch Lodge, lived on Black Point Close, only house on cul-de-sac the entire time I lived there. You know what would make a great shoot is near the little church. Check it out, very wild design and totally Sea Ranch Architecture. I'll post some photos later of our e3 in from of the Sea Ranch house back in the day. Enjoy the shoot and plan on more than 2 hours from SF. It may look like that, but with the windy roads etc., plan on 2-1/2-3 with traffic. That's with no stops. Unless you have permission from an owner there to park on some of the bluff cul-de-sacs its all private, keep that in mind. Very few spaces to park on public access. But if you don't leave the cars, shouldn't be a problem, just expect to get hassled by security.
there are a bunch of us architects on this forum who studied Sea Ranch in school - designed by Joseph Esherick and MLTW (moore lyndon turnbull + whittaker). interesting enough bill turnbull has a napa winery. the landscape architecture was predominately done by Lawrence Halprin. very cool stuff in its day.

hooptie

Reaction score
Thank you for all your quick responses and advice. We have 4 strong contenders and we should have a confirmation tomorrow. I have never been to Sea Ranch and have heard so much about it and and looking forward to experiencing the area.

I just need to add a note to the Katy Perry story…I've been in this line of work for a very long time. With regard to cars I am super sensitive to any situation that's less than comfortable and at times it can appear that 'to get the shot' it veers in that direction. I simply don't allow it. Accidents happen (and have once or twice over 20 years) but I am always an advocate for the owner of the car and will step in at any point where I feel there's something unreasonable happening or hasn't been agreed with the owner. Clearly I am sensitive to this.
Thankfully on these photo shoots I am on the crew is generally smaller and there's less of a chance a grip will sit in the vehicle with a screwdriver in his/her pocket.

Same goes when there's a celebrity that thinks he/she knows how to drive a stick. If it's not negotiated beforehand or before it actually happens it's simply not going to happen.

As I mentioned I can issue a certificate of insurance covering liability, loss and damage etc. to the owner.

Apologies for venting but all of this rests on my shoulders and I take great pride to make sure I do everything in my power to make anyone I do business with to feel comfortable. There, Im done!

Thank's again to everyone who've responded and made themselves available.

BTW I do own a 72 3.0CS that I considered sending North but it pales in comparison to the cars submitted (!)

Tom

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yeah my sister is an Architect and that is why my dad moved us up there in the early 70's for the architecture. You may have heard of Chris Abel Architects (He's past now) in Laguna Beach. Some of Chris's early home's where done with my dad doing the spec home with him and building them while Chris designed them. The home I was born in was one of them, you would like it I'm sure, cover of Home Magazine 1972?? I think. Looks similar today from the outside, but back in the day it was all natural wood with no houses next door as back then he owned the lots too. Must have been nice huh? Check out 750 Alta Vista Laguna Beach, some pics on Trulia I think. Have fun, get inspired it is a beautiful place for that. Architect's wet dream. Very high quality homes. HAVE FUN WITH THE MODELS MORE IMPORTANTLY!!!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My spleen says the only deal for me is they send the models to Cupertino, I pay the 800 bucks, and no pictures are taken.

Just kidding, sound like a great plan and look forward to the pictures.

rb1971

Reaction score
I'd be very tempted since the drive up to Sea Ranch from SF is gorgeous. I'd call it more like 3 hours however. I'm not sure Inka orange is the right color, it's pretty specific. :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25295657@N00/7037391357/in/set-72157628826447815

I almost spent a week in Sea Ranch a couple of years ago. Very pretty country. I say "almost" because after I arrived on Sunday night, I realized my cell phone wasn't working. I can't be out of cell contact due to work for more than a very little while (hooray?) so when I had to drive 10 miles to find a working cell tower the next morning for a 9AM conference call, the allure faded right away. It's a gorgeous part of the world for sure, but not really suited for working for a week away from the office.

It ended up being good news, since I spent the rest of the week at a friend's place in downtown Napa and liked it so much the next year (last year) my wife and I got a small weekender in Napa for ourselves. Which makes a great destination for a weekend coupe drive from SF.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sea Ranch

there are a bunch of us architects on this forum who studied Sea Ranch in school - designed by Joseph Esherick and MLTW (moore lyndon turnbull + whittaker). interesting enough bill turnbull has a napa winery. the landscape architecture was predominately done by Lawrence Halprin. very cool stuff in its day.

What an amazing place. A friend in college had a place there and we went for spring break around 1990. At least 3 hours from SF, and just a spectacular drive, if the weather is clear. Drove my sisters 5 speed 1986 Honda Civic, which was a blast. 75hp!

Scott P, my stepfather taught architecture at Princeton for most of his career, and he was very excited to see the work of his student, William Turnbull.

As I recall the home of my friend's parents had a sod roof and was almost built into the earth.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well it was an excellent day and location. I also grew up in Laguna Beach [class of 72]
Everyone in Laguna knew about Chris Abel and his homes so it was nice to see the genre again.
Tom was a most excellent host and the crew was outstanding.
Thanks for allowing me to participate!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott P, my stepfather taught architecture at Princeton for most of his career, and he was very excited to see the work of his student, William Turnbull.
i now like drinking bill turnbull's wine. he was a good architect and a really good winemaker

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I made it a point Not to take pictures of models being paid to have their pictures taken by people who had paid for that privilege.
Seems like the right thing to do.
I will say my feet were sore as hell from the 100 miles round trip twisties from clutch, brake throttle while being chased by a 545 csi. The only thing that kept me in the running was his passenger was getting sick.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 133

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Must be those special California flip-flop driving shoes of yours...;)

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I prefer to call them phillipino safety shoes.
You try driving with size 13 clown shoes on.
Macha and I should get special points for even trying to drive these cars.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don't, try wrestling shoes. Glove tight. Big sizes usually on sale. Make great inexpensive driving shoes.
Steve